• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gary Johnson for President

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A vote for Hillary would be disreputable. A vote for Trump would be dishonorable. Do I agree with the Libertarians on everything? No. But I can vote for Johnson and Weld with a clear conscience.

Gary Johnson-Bill Weld 2016 Libertarian ticket offers 'third way' in ...

johnson-bill-weld-2016-li...

The Libertarian Party put forward Sunday the strongest presidential ticket in its history, throwing down the gauntlet in an election that has the two major parties poised to nominate divisive candidates with soaring unfavorability ratings.
Delegates to the Libertarian National Convention chose in separate votes a pair of former Republican governors — New Mexico’s Gary Johnson and Massachusetts’ William Weld — despite objections from party loyalists who booed them as “failed Republicans” and questioned their commitment to party principles.
Mr. Johnson won the party’s presidential nomination on the second ballot with 55.8 percent of the delegate vote, giving him a second shot at the presidency after winning about 1.72 million votes as the party’s candidate in 2012.

While Mr. Johnson’s nomination was all but assured, much less certain was whether the delegation would warm up to Mr. Weld, who joined the party two weeks ago and had been denounced by critics as “Libertarian lite.”
After squeaking onto the ticket with 50.8 percent on the second ballot, Mr. Weld assured the crowd that he would adhere to Libertarian principles while running a race that he said would appeal to both Republican and Democratic voters unhappy with their parties’ nominees.

Libertarian vice presidential candidate Bill Weld (right) speaks with Joe Hunter, communications ... more >
“This is a national ticket,” Mr. Weld told the crowd at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida.

A vote for Hillary would be disreputable. A vote for Trump would be dishonorable. Do I agree with the Libertarians on everything? No. But I can vote for Johnson and Weld with a clear conscience.He doesn't need big donors, and taking donor funds is corrupt, and he's said he's wealthy enough to fund his campaign
If a person normally votes libertarian there is nothing really wrong with doing so now.
But not voting for the party you normally do because you do not like the candidate and instead voting for a non-electable third party is asinine, as it takes away votes from getting your normal party elected.

With that said ...

There is not one thing dishonorable in voting for Trump.

Even if a person doesn't like Trump, he still represents the best chance to get an appropriate SCOTUS nominee from the conservative/Republican perspective, if not more than one.

The same will hold for the liberal/Democrat nominee.

So if you actually care the way this country is influenced by the SCt, you should vote for the candidate from the main parties that can win and will get the chance to appoint to the Supreme Court.
Not a third party who has no chance at winning.

But not voting for the party you normally do because you do not like the candidate and instead voting for a non-electable third party is asinine, as it takes away votes from getting your normal party elected.

I am not loyal to a party. I am loyal to my ideals. If my party chooses a candidate that does not reflect my ideals, they are not my party anymore.

I am not loyal to a party. I am loyal to my ideals. If my party chooses a candidate that does not reflect my ideals, they are not my party anymore.
That doesn't change the gist of what I said.
You need to apply your "ideals" to the SCt nominee.
If you want the nominee to likely be liberal in nature then vote for the Democrat who has the best chance at winning the National election.
If you want the nominee to likely be conservative in nature then vote for the Republican who has the best chance at winning the National election.

If you normally vote libertarian and don't care who the SCt nominee is, by all means vote libertarian, they will never be elected anyways, so it is just a thrown away vote.

I will not be party to electing either of the two apparent nominees. I might vote down ticket, or I might stay home and drink. the latter I think I am currently leaning toward.

I will not be party to electing either of the two apparent nominees. I might vote down ticket, or I might stay home and drink. the latter I think I am currently leaning toward.

I don't know how willing you are to stay home, but I encourage you to at least go out and vote for everything else on the ballot that is not at the top of the ticket.

I consider my vote to be too important for me to abstain from the political process.

A vote for Hillary would be disreputable. A vote for Trump would be dishonorable. Do I agree with the Libertarians on everything? No. But I can vote for Johnson and Weld with a clear conscience.

The Libertarian Party put forward Sunday the strongest presidential ticket in its history, throwing down the gauntlet in an election that has the two major parties poised to nominate divisive candidates with soaring unfavorability ratings.
Delegates to the Libertarian National Convention chose in separate votes a pair of former Republican governors — New Mexico’s Gary Johnson and Massachusetts’ William Weld — despite objections from party loyalists who booed them as “failed Republicans” and questioned their commitment to party principles.
Mr. Johnson won the party’s presidential nomination on the second ballot with 55.8 percent of the delegate vote, giving him a second shot at the presidency after winning about 1.72 million votes as the party’s candidate in 2012.

While Mr. Johnson’s nomination was all but assured, much less certain was whether the delegation would warm up to Mr. Weld, who joined the party two weeks ago and had been denounced by critics as “Libertarian lite.”
After squeaking onto the ticket with 50.8 percent on the second ballot, Mr. Weld assured the crowd that he would adhere to Libertarian principles while running a race that he said would appeal to both Republican and Democratic voters unhappy with their parties’ nominees.

Libertarian vice presidential candidate Bill Weld (right) speaks with Joe Hunter, communications ... more >
“This is a national ticket,” Mr. Weld told the crowd at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida.

Not a big fan of Trumps, despise Hillary. So that leaves Johnson who I like just not a whole lot. Not sure what I am gona do.

If a person normally votes libertarian there is nothing really wrong with doing so now.

With that said ...

There is not one thing dishonorable in voting for Trump.

Even if a person doesn't like Trump, he still represents the best chance to get an appropriate SCOTUS nominee from the conservative/Republican perspective, if not more than one.

The same will hold for the liberal/Democrat nominee.

So if you actually care the way this country is influenced by the SCt, you should vote for the candidate from the main parties that can win and will get the chance to appoint to the Supreme Court.
Not a third party who has no chance at winning.

There are other issues beyond the SCOTUS. I do not believe in mass deportations, a wall or a religious test to enter the US. I believe in free trade, strengthening our alliances and limiting the proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Liberaltarianism is an insane position.

Liberaltarianism is an insane position.

as opposed to the "burn Jews at the stake and crucify homosexuals" Position? He who is without extremism shall cast the first stone

as opposed to the "burn Jews at the stake and crucify homosexuals" Position? He who is without extremism shall cast the first stone

I have never said either of those things.

I don't condemn liberaltarianism because it's an unpopular view, but because it's rationally incoherent.

There are other issues beyond the SCOTUS. I do not believe in mass deportations, a wall or a religious test to enter the US. I believe in free trade, strengthening our alliances and limiting the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
SCOTUS appointment is far more important to this nation than those other things.

Regardless, what I said even applies to someone like you.
A third party candidate has no chance at winning.
To make your vote count you should vote for the person who is closest to your beliefs and has the better chance at winning.
That way the person who is furthest away form your views isn't given a boost by not voting for their opponent.

SCOTUS appointment is far more important to this nation than those other things.

To make your vote count you should vote for the person who is most likely to win who is closest to your beliefs.
That way the person who is furthest away form your views isn't given a boost by not voting for their opponent.

I find Clinton and Trump equally abhorrent. I will not lower myself to vote for either one.

I find Clinton and Trump equally abhorrent. I will not lower myself to vote for either one.
You are more than welcome to throw your vote away on someone who has absolutely no chance at winning.

And by doing so all you are saying is that you don't care who the SCt appointee will be.
I find that abhorrent.

You are more than welcome to throw your vote away on someone who has absolutely no chance at winning.

And by doing so all you are saying is that you don't care who the SCt appointee will be.
I find that abhorrent.

My goals are modest. I aim to retain my self-respect.

To make your vote count you should vote for the person who is closest to your beliefs and has the better chance at winning.

And you felt this way for Nader and Perot voters also ?

Really? Ok then; I wish you to vote for the Republican nominee.

That was not the meaning of my post, as I believe you know. I will not vote for either Trump or Clinton under any circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom