• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gary Johnson for President

I voted for Johnson in '12, and plan on doing so again this year.

I voted for Johnson in '12, and plan on doing so again this year.

Okay, tell us what in Gary Johnson's platform we should embrace? His wanting to do away with income taxes in favor of the fair tax? His wanting to abolish the Department of Education? What things should we embrace here.

Okay, tell us what in Gary Johnson's platform we should embrace? His wanting to do away with income taxes in favor of the fair tax? His wanting to abolish the Department of Education? What things should we embrace here.

I embrace that I don't have to vote for Clinton or Trump. He's pro-gay rights and pro-trans rights.

Money will be critical.

Let's see if Johnson/Weld can get some of that "free" air time Trump gets.

Should be interesting to see Trump's reaction when Johnson/Weld aren't nice to him .

A vote for Hillary would be disreputable. A vote for Trump would be dishonorable. Do I agree with the Libertarians on everything? No. But I can vote for Johnson and Weld with a clear conscience.

Gary Johnson-Bill Weld 2016 Libertarian ticket offers 'third way' in ...

johnson-bill-weld-2016-li...

The Libertarian Party put forward Sunday the strongest presidential ticket in its history, throwing down the gauntlet in an election that has the two major parties poised to nominate divisive candidates with soaring unfavorability ratings.
Delegates to the Libertarian National Convention chose in separate votes a pair of former Republican governors — New Mexico’s Gary Johnson and Massachusetts’ William Weld — despite objections from party loyalists who booed them as “failed Republicans” and questioned their commitment to party principles.
Mr. Johnson won the party’s presidential nomination on the second ballot with 55.8 percent of the delegate vote, giving him a second shot at the presidency after winning about 1.72 million votes as the party’s candidate in 2012.

While Mr. Johnson’s nomination was all but assured, much less certain was whether the delegation would warm up to Mr. Weld, who joined the party two weeks ago and had been denounced by critics as “Libertarian lite.”
After squeaking onto the ticket with 50.8 percent on the second ballot, Mr. Weld assured the crowd that he would adhere to Libertarian principles while running a race that he said would appeal to both Republican and Democratic voters unhappy with their parties’ nominees.

Libertarian vice presidential candidate Bill Weld (right) speaks with Joe Hunter, communications ... more >
“This is a national ticket,” Mr. Weld told the crowd at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida.

So you will have a clear conscious if Trump wins? How does that make sense? Trump must not win and if that means swallowing your pride and voting for Hillary that is the way to a not be part of the problem. You probably want Trump to win anyway.

So you will have a clear conscious if Trump wins? How does that make sense? Trump must not win and if that means swallowing your pride and voting for Hillary that is the way to a not be part of the problem. You probably want Trump to win anyway.

Hillary and Trump are equally abhorrent. I will vote for neither.

Hillary and Trump are equally abhorrent. I will vote for neither.

In an election with few norms, could you see Ryan support Johnson if the election goes to the House?

With only the top two going to the Senate for the VP, could there be a split legislative branch ?

In an election with few norms, could you see Ryan support Johnson if the election goes to the House?

With only the top two going to the Senate for the VP, could there be a split legislative branch ?

I have no idea.

I have no idea.

The money man you're looking for is Huntsman Sr.--and to a lesser extent Romney--who has obvious connections to Weld.

Johnson is popular enough in the 4-corners states and NV, to name 5 states, to throw this thing into the House. Linc feels a potential steam-roller--Perot was popular out West.

Expect the Trump smear machine to go after Johnson before the RNC .

I will not be party to electing either of the two apparent nominees. I might vote down ticket, or I might stay home and drink. the latter I think I am currently leaning toward.

While that may make you temporarily feel good, the risk of having a bigoted demagogue like Donald Trump as President of the United States makes such an option a non-starter with me. I think there is a reasonable chance if Trump is the next President, he might also be the last President.

The money man you're looking for is Huntsman Sr.--and to a lesser extent Romney--who has obvious connections to Weld.

Johnson is popular enough in the 4-corners states and NV, to name 5 states, to throw this thing into the House. Linc feels a potential steam-roller--Perot was popular out West.

Expect the Trump smear machine to go after Johnson before the RNC .

Just the 4 corner states and Nevada isn't probably enough to throw this into the House.

Just the 4 corner states and Nevada isn't probably enough to throw this into the House.

You're probably right--but 37 EVs is a lot in a close election--and the two swing CDs in NE and especially ME are back in play this year--Johnson/Weld must get to 15% in polls to make the debates--should be interesting to see which party/parties try to keep the LP out .

While that may make you temporarily feel good, the risk of having a bigoted demagogue like Donald Trump as President of the United States makes such an option a non-starter with me. I think there is a reasonable chance if Trump is the next President, he might also be the last President.

In trying to come to grips with a trump win, I expect Ryan/McConnell to quickly clip his wings.

I also have enough trust in Christie, hopefully as Chief of Staff, to keep trump from blowing up the world and to get him to STFU on Twitter to world leaders.

Corker would be a solid choice for SECDEF.

I expect trump to name most of his cabinet at the ReiNCe in Cleveland.

Most of the chatter I'm seeing comes down to the USSC and lower court picks, certainly the difference for me at this point.

However, and I never thought I'd say this, I'm looking at Johnson/Weld .

If Gary Johnson is on the ballot he'll push Hillary Clinton's numbers up.

Wait and see.

:lol:

If Fox News were to talk about Gary Johnson polling ten percent in a three way match up you would have a Gary Johnson Presidency.

If Fox News were to talk about Gary Johnson polling ten percent in a three way match up you would have a Gary Johnson Presidency.

If no candidate gets 270, then the vote goes to the House of Representatives with each state having one vote. Since the Republicans control the most state delegations and still will after the election, even if the Democrats were to take the House, it would be up to the Republican Representatives to pick. It is conceivable that they might pick Gary Johnson, a former Republican governor over Donald Trump, a businessman. Imagine the howls from the Democrats because Hillary R Clinton would really have no shot if the House were deciding it.

If no candidate gets 270, then the vote goes to the House of Representatives with each state having one vote. Since the Republicans control the most state delegations and still will after the election, even if the Democrats were to take the House, it would be up to the Republican Representatives to pick. It is conceivable that they might pick Gary Johnson, a former Republican governor over Donald Trump, a businessman. Imagine the howls from the Democrats because Hillary R Clinton would really have no shot if the House were deciding it.

This tells me that it is a good thing Fox News does not broadcast this.

The lame duck session would then choose the President regardless of election results.

I don't know how willing you are to stay home, but I encourage you to at least go out and vote for everything else on the ballot that is not at the top of the ticket.

I consider my vote to be too important for me to abstain from the political process.

Same here. I don't know if I'll vote for Johnson or just leave the top part of my ballot empty. But I have a US Senator race, a gubernatorial race, and a Congressional race to cast my vote for.

This tells me that it is a good thing Fox News does not broadcast this.

The lame duck session would then choose the President regardless of election results.

No, it would not be the lame duck session. It would be the new House. But since each state only gets one vote it is unlikely that even if the Democrats got a majority they'd have more state delegations. Keep in mind each state gets one vote, there are more states like Alaska, Wyoming, etc that normally just have one Representative and are overwhelmed by states like California. The Democrats control the states that have more Representatives but that doesn't matter in this case. The electoral college votes in December and the House would take it up in January if no one gets 270.

Oh, if the House can't decide by January 20th, the Speaker of the House takes the office of the presidency. President Ryan?

Back
Top Bottom