• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Garland speech may signal new phase in confirmation effort

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
President Barack Obama's embattled choice for the Supreme Court — D.C. Circuit Chief Judge Merrick Garland — did something Thursday that's highly unusual for judicial nominees: he delivered a public speech.

Making an unannounced appearance at an annual breakfast that the federal courts hold to salute Washington law firms active in pro bono work, the veteran jurist paid tribute to lawyers who contribute time to public causes and he linked that work to his own biography. It's the kind of address that's relatively common for a sitting judge to make, but one that previous high-profile court nominees have studiously avoided.

In a roughly five-minute speech to about 100 lawyers and judges gathered in the atrium of the federal courthouse in the shadow of the Capitol, Garland said "their and your commitment to public service and the law is the same commitment that has shaped the choices that I have made throughout my career."

He added that by "helping to provide access to justice for the underprivileged all of you are helping to shore up the rule of the law that is the foundation of a just society."

Garland speech may signal new phase in confirmation effort - POLITICO

Since Garland has been denied senate hearings, the judge has apparently decided to use other means of presenting the case for his nomination.

We don't need another anti-second amendment douchebag. He needs to just go away.

He won't go away, and garland is going to make his case for why he should be nominated.

Ok, so how is going to rationalize his anti-gun views?

This should be good. :popcorn2:

He won't go away.

Sure he will.

When the Senate refuses confirmation he'll have not other place to go except " away "

Obama's plan use Garland as a Politcal pawn so he can paint the GOP as obstructionist isn't working

Voters dont care and Garland needs to understand that

Since the senate are refusing to hold hearings, the senators are unable to ask that question to him.

Apparently he is going out to make his case, so I'm sure he will consider talking about his anti-second amendment views at some point. :lamo

Apparently he is going out to make his case, so I'm sure he will consider talking about his anti-second amendment views at some point. :lamo

Only if someone asks him.

Besides if there is anyone that should be asking those questions, it should be the senate. Since the senate won't hold hearings, garland won't be asked questions you want asked of him.

People that want to sit on the bench and yet have no respect for the law need to go away.

You can have a genuinely different opinion on the law without 'having no respect for the law'.

You can have a genuinely different opinion on the law without 'having no respect for the law'.

You mean like when an amendment says "shall not be infringed" and you support limitations being put on the right spoken towards? I believe we call that not supporting the amendment.

He won't go away, and garland is going to make his case for why he should be nominated.

He doesn't have a case to make. He's not running for an elected office, so appealing to anyone but the congress is futile at best. He won't have a case to make until he sits before the congress. If that never happens, he'll never have a case.

Only if someone asks him.

Besides if there is anyone that should be asking those questions, it should be the senate. Since the senate won't hold hearings, garland won't be asked questions you want asked of him.

How will ever make his case if he doesn't go through his thoughts on the issues?

He doesn't have a case to make. He's not running for an elected office, so appealing to anyone but the congress is futile at best. He won't have a case to make until he sits before the congress. If that never happens, he'll never have a case.

And the senate is intentionally denying him hearings.

How can he do so if he is denied the senate hearings which is where Garland is supposed to make his case?

Is he not trying to force the senates hand? He should just appeal to the people and let them ask him questions.

Did he happen to mention our multi level Justice system with different standards according to race, class, immigration status, and political connections?

If you know a reporter, go and tell that person to ask that question.

He doesn't need any help getting in front of a camera. He could go around the news networks and introduce himself to the public. I'm sure he can get some nice easy questions on MSNBC and some hard ones on FOX.

He doesn't need any help getting in front of a camera. He could go around the news networks and introduce himself to the public. I'm sure he can get some nice easy questions on MSNBC and some hard ones on FOX.

Garland is not speaking to news people, he spoke to groups of fellow lawyers and judges.

Garland is not speaking to news people, he spoke to groups of fellow lawyers and judges.

So? If he wants to force the senates hand it would be to his benefit to get the people behind him.

We don't need another anti-second amendment douchebag. He needs to just go away.

I agree. I hope the Party of No continues their game playing because I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather President Clinton get the appointment and not put some wimpy moderate on the bench. This needs to come back and bite the Republicans hard in the right places.

You mean like when an amendment says "shall not be infringed" and you support limitations being put on the right spoken towards? I believe we call that not supporting the amendment.

Why do you guys always leave out the "well-regulated" part.....hmmmmmmm.........

Back
Top Bottom