• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Garden thread

They LOVE full sun. Out in the open they'll thrive. Just watch the dryness; it's good to give them a good watering once a day during above-90-degree weather.

One of those irrigation hoses parallel to the rows of asparagus would help, and also lower any possibility of mildew/rust, iirc.

Great advice Wake. You'll notice my question to Lizzie. If I plant seeds now, will I get a crop next year?

Great! Thanks, Lizzie. If I dig and prepare a bed and plant seeds now, will I get a crop in Spring 2013?

I don't plant from seeds. You can buy asparagus crowns in this area for planting. I don't harvest for the first two or three years after planting. Maybe it's okay to, but I've read that the plants will be stronger if you let them get well-established first.

They LOVE full sun. Out in the open they'll thrive. Just watch the dryness; it's good to give them a good watering once a day during above-90-degree weather.

One of those irrigation hoses parallel to the rows of asparagus would help, and also lower any possibility of mildew/rust, iirc.

Heck man- I just water mine every week or two when it's over 100 degrees. :mrgreen:

I don't plant from seeds. You can buy asparagus crowns in this area for planting. I don't harvest for the first two or three years after planting. Maybe it's okay to, but I've read that the plants will be stronger if you let them get well-established first.

Ah, okay. I've never seen crowns for sale in local nurseries. I'll ask. And a three-year wait. Hmm, I guess it'll be worth the patience.

Ah, okay. I've never seen crowns for sale in local nurseries. I'll ask. And a three-year wait. Hmm, I guess it'll be worth the patience.

You can buy crowns in alot of stores around here. Even Walmart carries them. They just look sort of like a "bud" or nut, with roots coming off of them that about 6 inches long. I plant them about 8-10 inches deep, and about 24 inches apart, and keep them moist until the shoots start coming up.
To be honest, it may be okay to harvest earlier, but the shoots need to be at least pencil-thickness for harvesting, and I find that younger plants just don't produce good sized shoots for the first couple of years. Just go ahead and plant some- you have nothing to lose. :) Good luck with it! :)

Great advice Wake. You'll notice my question to Lizzie. If I plant seeds now, will I get a crop next year?

No. Starting asparagus from seed takes even longer.

It's best to buy a root variety, which knocks, I think, at least a year out of the equation. It'll still take around 2-3 years.

However, asparagus has about a 20-year lifespan, so every year after the 3rd you'll reap a huge bounty of asparagus. We should have planted a ton of aspargus on the first year, so that we could sell whatever we hadn't frozen. Family and friends would probably buy/appreciate homegrown asparagus.

Gorgeous blooms! I've never heard of daylilies before. Do they have another name? I've certainly never seen such amazing colour combinations in lilies before. Are they easy to grow? What do they need?

The genus is hemerocallis, A, and they are actually quite easy to grow. They aren't bulbous like true lilies, but do have thickened, fleshy roots, and of course, who doesn't like a thickened, fleshy root, eh?

Just give them a reasonable amount of sun and normal watering and they are good to go.

OMG, Gardener, they're gorgeous!!! Do you sell? Please PM me a catalogue addy, if so. I'd love a pink rebloomer....especially with fragrance!

I now officially consider you a true genius. ♥

I am just your humble genius of love, Pinkie.

Here are a few of my better pinks

100_0927640x639.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0127.jpg

000_5800.jpg

The genus is hemerocallis, A, and they are actually quite easy to grow. They aren't bulbous like true lilies, but do have thickened, fleshy roots, and of course, who doesn't like a thickened, fleshy root, eh?

Just give them a reasonable amount of sun and normal watering and they are good to go.

These plants are unkillable around here. Some people call them "railroad lilies" because they'll grow alongside railroad tracks. As far as I know, they need no care and take shade or sun, but not all varieties will rebloom or have fragrance....and the "originals" are plain yellow.

They are all astounding!! I want all of them...but my garden plot is tiny.

Seriously....do you sell them?

I do sell a few here and there, but I am also known to give them away to nice people who visit me.

i plant a vegetable garden each year; usually tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and corn. going to add a couple other vegetables in this year, hopefully.

i plant a vegetable garden each year; usually tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and corn. going to add a couple other vegetables in this year, hopefully.

I'd love to see photos, Helix....especially of the corn.

O, I would love to....but I can't afford to go to Cincinnati.

:(

Yeah, I know how it is.

Since the economy turned bad, I can hardly afford to go to Oregon, myself.

Yeah, I know how it is.

Since the economy turned bad, I can hardly afford to go to Oregon, myself.

Sucks, because I'm at that age where everyone is retiring and moving to wherever they want. The reality is, I'll never see most of my old friends again apart from skype.

Does anyone know what this is??

otovih.jpg

nz51zd.jpg

Here are photos of our garden plot. I will update them periodically as the season progresses.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Now THAT's what I call a garden Dickieboy! :DThat looks like what my grandpa used to grow! :)

Wow. Thats HUGE!!! I'd kill myself trying to garden that.

Here are photos of our garden plot. I will update them periodically as the season progresses.

View attachment 67123620
View attachment 67123621
View attachment 67123622
View attachment 67123623
Great! You couldn't really have two more different gardens to watch on this thread. What are you planting?
Now THAT's what I call a garden Dickieboy! :DThat looks like what my grandpa used to grow! :)
Y'see, that's what I call farming! :lol: Talk about a blank sheet.

This thread just gets better.

Sorry enola, I have no idea what that plant is that you posted.

Back
Top Bottom