• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Garden thread

Yeah, the summer garden is coming to an end. We still have sweet potatoes to dig and are still picking watermelons, cantalopes, a bushel of tomatoes a week or so and a few bell peppers. Most has been tilled under. Contemplating planting some turnips, onion sets, winter peas and a late lettuce/spinich bed. Freezers and jars are full, all in all a good year...now to fill the meat freezer...;)

Maybe other people know this already but we didn't so I will pass on what I just learned. Our summer squash plants had lots of blossoms and fruit but only a couple matured, the rest withered on the vine. Apparently they didn't get pollinated. We had a long cold wet spring and bees were late coming out. You can pollinate yourself though and next year we will.

Squash Plant Hand Pollination - YouTube

I've found that Dragon Tongue beans are a really good crop.

They're stringless, versatile pods with a juicy, semi-sweet crunch. Almost like a banana pepper.

Definitely a shoe-in for next year.

I've found that Dragon Tongue beans are a really good crop.

They're stringless, versatile pods with a juicy, semi-sweet crunch. Almost like a banana pepper.

Definitely a shoe-in for next year.

Sounds a lot like sugar snap peas. Another tasty treat.

Sounds a lot like sugar snap peas. Another tasty treat.

Speaking of that, we tried those early this year. The other gardeners at the community garden shared some with us. They were SO good chilled.

It was too late to try growing some that spring, but now I'm trying a few on a trellis and in a self-watering bucket container.

Back
Top Bottom