• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gaps in Training

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Along with my "what do I do if," drill that I play, I have found another add on to something we all could use.

Quiz yourself. What scenario are you least prepared for? I'm not talking bomb defusing. I am talking about those things that may be a gap that you just may have a knowledge gap on.

A lot of people seem to lack a knowledge of grappling and hand to hand defense. I have watched fight after fight, been in self defense spars, and done all the grapple training. In short...if someone gets real close to you to start beating you down...you might try to grab ahold of them. Hockey fights look more real to me than boxing matches. Getting fist fulls and swinging away whole trying to throw someone off balance. Anyway. I digress.

The point is not many people have the knowledge of fighting, and specifically grappling, to handle a brute force charge/takedown. I'm ok with physical combat. My gap is multi targets, and knives...I hate knives. I am less afraid of a gun than a knife.

Along with my "what do I do if," drill that I play, I have found another add on to something we all could use.

Quiz yourself. What scenario are you least prepared for? I'm not talking bomb defusing. I am talking about those things that may be a gap that you just may have a knowledge gap on.

A lot of people seem to lack a knowledge of grappling and hand to hand defense. I have watched fight after fight, been in self defense spars, and done all the grapple training. In short...if someone gets real close to you to start beating you down...you might try to grab ahold of them. Hockey fights look more real to me than boxing matches. Getting fist fulls and swinging away whole trying to throw someone off balance. Anyway. I digress.

The point is not many people have the knowledge of fighting, and specifically grappling, to handle a brute force charge/takedown. I'm ok with physical combat. My gap is multi targets, and knives...I hate knives. I am less afraid of a gun than a knife.

It's funny. I think most of us with police, military etc training do that automatically. I know when I am going someplace new I go over scenarios in my head just to be ready.

Everyone who carries should do this. I does help when things go bad.

Another gap that may get overlooked is verbal descalation. Many people that I know...would probably provoke someone by being stupid and saying something wrong. What about y'all?

Iam never without a knife.
I carry at least one, and usually sping assist or button operated. I also collect knives.
I have some Kershaw / Ken Onion designs that I like.
Bunch of S&W knives from their line.
I dont think I have been with out a knife on me since I got my first Old Timer when I was 10.

Iam never without a knife.
I carry at least one, and usually sping assist or button operated. I also collect knives.
I have some Kershaw / Ken Onion designs that I like.
Bunch of S&W knives from their line.
I dont think I have been with out a knife on me since I got my first Old Timer when I was 10.

Yes. I keep a knife too...but it is just a tool to me. I have trained in using a knife, but disarming them scares me. I hate it. My gun is just as easy to deploy as a blade (for me).

Come to SC sometime for a weekend. By the time you leave I'll have you up to speed on knives. They're a stone cold bitch for sure, but there are ways to deal with them.

Another gap that may get overlooked is verbal descalation. Many people that I know...would probably provoke someone by being stupid and saying something wrong. What about y'all?

When I was in LE, we did "verbal judo" training on de-escalation and compliance... good stuff. I teach some of it to cits in my classes. Primary points are recognizing and avoiding deflection with 'Yes sir, I appreciate that BUT..." and then returning to the key point at hand, and avoiding escalation by keeping it impersonal.

Lots more of course, but only so much can be conveyed in this medium, and most of the time I like to get paid a little something for teaching it. :)

When I was in LE, we did "verbal judo" training on de-escalation and compliance... good stuff. I teach some of it to cits in my classes. Primary points are recognizing and avoiding deflection with 'Yes sir, I appreciate that BUT..." and then returning to the key point at hand, and avoiding escalation by keeping it impersonal.

Lots more of course, but only so much can be conveyed in this medium, and most of the time I like to get paid a little something for teaching it. :)

Yea. I have had to do it with a drunk or 2. They are the worst :(

Mass shooter attacks. I'd likely be outgunned, and wouldn't be able to get a clear shot amidst everyone trying to get away in one huge group panic.

Learn to love them; it's the best secondary weapon you can have.

Mass shooter attacks. I'd likely be outgunned, and wouldn't be able to get a clear shot amidst everyone trying to get away in one huge group panic.

Learn to love them; it's the best secondary weapon you can have.

I carry a knife constantly. have had a fair amount of training. plus some of the sports i have played for decades are good cross training (racquet sports especially).

I carry a knife constantly. have had a fair amount of training. plus some of the sports i have played for decades are good cross training (racquet sports especially).

I always have one for utilitarian purposes. The best thing about a knife is that the only thing that matters is how sharp it is, and how well you can use it. If it will cut and stab, it'll do. The best ones are the knives with the thumb studs, since fixed blades are banned most places. I can carry a 357 revolver or a "high capacity" 9mm auto under my shirt, but for some reason, I need a reason to carry my short Ka-Bar, which I'd actually rather carry on some days.

Sports build hand-eye, strength, and reflexive action, so they help out a lot. The best training would be specific to self defense with a knife, but it's not like that training is springing up all over the place. Best advice I can give is if you don't think you can take them head on, surprise them.

I always have one for utilitarian purposes. The best thing about a knife is that the only thing that matters is how sharp it is, and how well you can use it. If it will cut and stab, it'll do. The best ones are the knives with the thumb studs, since fixed blades are banned most places. I can carry a 357 revolver or a "high capacity" 9mm auto under my shirt, but for some reason, I need a reason to carry my short Ka-Bar, which I'd actually rather carry on some days.

Sports build hand-eye, strength, and reflexive action, so they help out a lot. The best training would be specific to self defense with a knife, but it's not like that training is springing up all over the place. Best advice I can give is if you don't think you can take them head on, surprise them.

I am a big fan of the spyderco brand-often carry the Byrd (cheaper Chinese made-less $ if I lose it) because the spyderco hole is the easiest to open-even faster than the really good automatics I own.

I am a big fan of the spyderco brand-often carry the Byrd (cheaper Chinese made-less $ if I lose it) because the spyderco hole is the easiest to open-even faster than the really good automatics I own.

A lot of people have the Spyderco's and they swear by them. I usually just have a cheap Buck, or Gerber. I abuse the crap out of knives, so the cheaper the better, as long as some quality is retained.

I would rather have a knife if I'm within arms reach than a gun. I can disable a lot faster with a 3" blade.

L.E. call this "Verbal Judo"

I started posting this prior to reading goshin's post. I use "V.J." all the time (Every day just about) with the people i deal with you have to act like you understand them and it takes a great deal of extensive training. I suck at it when it comes to dealing with just your plain jane a**hat. I prefer to just let them ride the lightening for about 15 seconds.

Last edited:
A lot of people have the Spyderco's and they swear by them. I usually just have a cheap Buck, or Gerber. I abuse the crap out of knives, so the cheaper the better, as long as some quality is retained.

I have just about everything-benchmade, Round Eye (yeah its a collector), CRKT, SOG, Gerber, Buck (including a buck hunter converted to auto) spyderco, pacific cutlery

and autos like MOD, Microtech, Emerson, etc

still carry the spyderco

I have just about everything-benchmade, Round Eye (yeah its a collector), CRKT, SOG, Gerber, Buck (including a buck hunter converted to auto) spyderco, pacific cutlery

and autos like MOD, Microtech, Emerson, etc

still carry the spyderco

I got a couple different Ka-Bars, a German trench knife made by Hanwei in a drunken split decision of "that's cool, I want it", and about thirty-six thousand pocket knives of various makes and models. Most are broken, worn out, or otherwise unserviceable and piled in a backpack shoved into the back of a closet in the hopes that someday I'll fix them, knowing full and well I never will.

I got a couple different Ka-Bars, a German trench knife made by Hanwei in a drunken split decision of "that's cool, I want it", and about thirty-six thousand pocket knives of various makes and models. Most are broken, worn out, or otherwise unserviceable and piled in a backpack shoved into the back of a closet in the hopes that someday I'll fix them, knowing full and well I never will.

Paul Chen (Hanwei) makes some decent swords gave an L6 Hanwei to one of the kids I coach who also got a MMA black belt. I have the first run Gerber MK II after they got rid of the 5% angle. 2 dozen randalls, a couple South African Chris Reeve's, and a bunch of other custom jobs including a Dane/Barry Dawson sleeve knife they made for me when I was assigned to DC for several weeks many years ago

Back
Top Bottom