• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game over, drug warriors

sbrettt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Legalization of Cannabis is a certainty in my opinion. It's just a question of when, and how.
Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use
f9nyco05-um-ww_mfbuo9q.gif

This is an invite for drug warriors to argue it isn't a certainty.

It won't stop James Hill from getting stoned and crying loudly that legalization is upon us!

'Course that will only occur during regular library hours.....

It was inevitable. Once the people stopped being fed baseless propaganda from the government the tide was sure to turn.

Legalization of Cannabis is a certainty in my opinion. It's just a question of when, and how.

I wonder when the federal government finally legalizes it if they will also recognize what a complete failure the war on drugs has been or what impact legalization will have on that.

And the chart kinda looks like .... A rocket? :mrgreen:

I wonder when the federal government finally legalizes it if they will also recognize what a complete failure the war on drugs has been or what impact legalization will have on that.

Our government admitting to failure?? No way. :lamo I thought it looked sort of like a fish. :lol:

I have learned not to be too optimistic about that. In the late seventies there was a lot of optimism about marijuana legalization with several states decriminalizing and future President Carter claiming to be open to legalization. Then came Reagan and the crack epidemic and most of the progress towards legalization was lost and the movement had to restart at square one. So many people have a financial interest in maintaining the status quo that change will not come easily or soon, no matter what the public wants.

I have learned not to be too optimistic about that. In the late seventies there was a lot of optimism about marijuana legalization with several states decriminalizing and future President Carter claiming to be open to legalization. Then came Reagan and the crack epidemic and most of the progress towards legalization was lost and the movement had to restart at square one. So many people have a financial interest in maintaining the status quo that change will not come easily or soon, no matter what the public wants.

Those are very valid points, but I think this time is different. It's just a matter of millennials becoming the majority of voters. They aren't as easily manipulated as past generations. Not to mention, the wonder machine, aka MRI machine is relatively new. It's only just recently that science has started to aggressively debunk drug warrior claims about pot.

Last edited:

I honestly don't care either way, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, as long as federal law still keeps it listed as a scheduled drug, it will remain illegal regardless of popular opinion or changes in state laws. The federal government isn't exactly known for giving in to public opinion.

I saw a fish...

I honestly don't care either way, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, as long as federal law still keeps it listed as a scheduled drug, it will remain illegal regardless of popular opinion or changes in state laws. The federal government isn't exactly known for giving in to public opinion.

I disagree. Once almost 60% of people support it candidates will likely start running on it. I think whether you have a dog in this or not, no one who isn't a shill, will honestly agree that Cannabis fits as a schedule 1 narcotic.

I seem to have no problem. Although I don't know how you define pothead, I do like to smoke and I have a good stable job I keep very easily.

You drive company vehicles? Customer vehicles? Government vehicles? Any kind of equipment, forklifts, trucks? Have accidents with anyof those, and fail the drug tests. Not only are you fired, but the company you work for is open to serious liability.
You never know when your company insurance may call for drug testing. Can you pass one? How about if you lose your job for any reason and must start looking for another. Many jobs do require it to get the job and keep the job.

I seem to have no problem. Although I don't know how you define pothead, I do like to smoke and I have a good stable job I keep very easily.

Let me ask you, what do you get out of drugs? Why do you need drugs to deal with life?

Let me ask you, what do you get out of drugs? Why do you need drugs to deal with life?

People who use pot get about the same thing that drinkers of alcohol and coffee get from their drugs-pleasure, relaxation and stimulation. Most don't "need" drugs any more than drinkers of alcohol and coffee, they want them.

You drive company vehicles? Customer vehicles? Government vehicles? Any kind of equipment, forklifts, trucks? Have accidents with anyof those, and fail the drug tests. Not only are you fired, but the company you work for is open to serious liability.
You never know when your company insurance may call for drug testing. Can you pass one? How about if you lose your job for any reason and must start looking for another. Many jobs do require it to get the job and keep the job.
Yet those tests don't look for alcohol, which has a heavier effect on motor control, and decision making. Luckily, when Cannabis is legal, employers won't have to worry about harassing people about what they do in the privacy of their own home. If you're high/drunk on the job, you should be fired. However, responsible tokers shouldn't be punished for the mistakes of an irresponsible minority, and soon we won't. :peace

People who use pot get about the same thing that drinkers of alcohol and coffee get from their drugs-pleasure, relaxation and stimulation. Most don't "need" drugs any more than drinkers of alcohol and coffee, they want them.

You're right about Alcohol and Pot being the same. They're both psychologically and physically addicting. Once people start on either one they like the false since of reality they get so they do them more and more until they can't face the real world. As for coffee, I don't know. I've never heard of any one getting high on coffee and have a wreak or steal for a fix.

You're right about Alcohol and Pot being the same. They're both psychologically and physically addicting. Once people start on either one they like the false since of reality they get so they do them more and more until they can't face the real world. As for coffee, I don't know. I've never heard of any one getting high on coffee and have a wreak or steal for a fix.
I'm not sure that he was saying they're the same in the way you're thinking.
800px-Drug_danger_and_dependence.svg.png

You do have a point that people smoke and drink for similar reasons, but that's ultimately irrelevant to whether or not it should be legal. Also, there's a big difference between the two. You can't overdose on pot, but you can with alcohol.

Everything is psychologically and physically addictive, in one way or another; that's a meaningless comparison. Marijuana is not similar to Alcohol in the context of medical effects. Alcohol is quite literally a poison, and it's intoxicating effects are due to the brain shutting down. Marijuana affects the endocannabinoid system of the brain; it's effects are caused by extra signals from neurons.

Alcohol can and does cause death by overdose, Marijuana can't.
Alcohol is linked with organ failure. Marijuana kills cancer, and is an antioxidant.
Alcohol causes neuron death and a lowering of IQ. Marijuana has neuron-protectant effects and users are of above average intelligence.

They're not similar in any meaningful way. The only reason to link them is to show the success we've had with Alcohol by using Regulation instead of Prohibition; we could see further success by Regulating Marijuana. Several countries have gone down that road, and they're seeing great reductions in drug use, crime, and disease. Regulation works.

Everything is psychologically and physically addictive, in one way or another; that's a meaningless comparison. Marijuana is not similar to Alcohol in the context of medical effects. Alcohol is quite literally a poison, and it's intoxicating effects are due to the brain shutting down. Marijuana affects the endocannabinoid system of the brain; it's effects are caused by extra signals from neurons.

Alcohol can and does cause death by overdose, Marijuana can't.
Alcohol is linked with organ failure. Marijuana kills cancer, and is an antioxidant.
Alcohol causes neuron death and a lowering of IQ. Marijuana has neuron-protectant effects and users are of above average intelligence.

They're not similar in any meaningful way. The only reason to link them is to show the success we've had with Alcohol by using Regulation instead of Prohibition; we could see further success by Regulating Marijuana. Several countries have gone down that road, and they're seeing great reductions in drug use, crime, and disease. Regulation works.

I agree, you can drink yourself to death and it does cause organ failure but to say pot don't cause deaths is not really true. How many accidents have been caused because the driver was high, didn't see the red light or stop sign. Maybe they thought they could beat the train to the crossing or didn't see the curve and drove off the cliff.
Marijuana users twice as likely to cause accident
Smoking Marijuana Doubles Risk of Fatal Accidents
Marijuana a major cause of accidents? What study says - HealthPop - CBS News
And several more. traffic accidents caused by marijuana - Yahoo! Search Results

I know Medical pot helps some people with pain going thru cancer treatment, but isn't that in pill form? Never heard of it killing cancer. Where did you hear that?
What makes you think that smoking pot make you smarter? please explain.
Thanks

I agree, you can drink yourself to death and it does cause organ failure but to say pot don't cause deaths is not really true. How many accidents have been caused because the driver was high, didn't see the red light or stop sign. Maybe they thought they could beat the train to the crossing or didn't see the curve and drove off the cliff.
Marijuana users twice as likely to cause accident
Smoking Marijuana Doubles Risk of Fatal Accidents
Marijuana a major cause of accidents? What study says - HealthPop - CBS News
And several more. traffic accidents caused by marijuana - Yahoo! Search Results

I know Medical pot helps some people with pain going thru cancer treatment, but isn't that in pill form? Never heard of it killing cancer. Where did you hear that?
What makes you think that smoking pot make you smarter? please explain.
Thanks

Actually, I believe medical marijuana can be in pill form, food form, or you can smoke it. Pot causes deaths in the same way being a little too tired behind the wheel can cause death. This is of course, not good, but it isn't a good reason to keep it illegal. If I may ask, where do you stand on legalization? I'm thinking you're against it, but I haven't seen you directly say it so I don't want to assume.

Back
Top Bottom