• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game of Thrones Season 6

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Alrighty! First episode down.

Not great, IMO. Aside from the Dorne storyline - concerning which, I absolutely couldn't care less - and Brienne/Sansa/Reek's storyline, it seems like they kind of just "punted" things along for this first episode.

I'm still leaning heavily towards the Melissandre resurrecting Jon, or there possibly being some twist regarding the Dire Wolf. I think they're just stalling for now.

I did like the scene with the Red Witch at the end, however. Showing that she's really ancient, and only being kept young by magic, I thought that was a nice touch.

Last edited:
I really did not need to see the last two minutes or so.

I really did not need to see the last two minutes or so.

I can only figure that it's probably hinting at something with regard to Jon.

Bookwise, it actually doesn't make a lot of sense. One of the reasons why the birth of Danny's dragons is such a big deal is because it supercharged magic in the world. It did so in a way which hadn't been seen for centuries. That's why people had come to regard it all as being nothing more than myth to begin with.

Red Priests weren't supposed to be able to do things like bring people back from the dead or create smoke monsters before the dragons were born. Melissandre would have had to have been wearing that necklace for a looooong time to get the results shown in this episode. Far longer than those dragons have been around.

Last edited:

Bookwise, it actually doesn't make a lot of sense. One of the reasons why the birth of Danny's dragons is such a big deal is because it supercharged magic in the world. It did so in a way which hadn't been seen for centuries. That's why people had come to regard it all as being nothing more than myth to begin with.

Red Priests weren't supposed to be able to do things like bring people back from the dead or create smoke monsters before the dragons were born. Melissandre would have had to have been wearing that necklace for a looooong time to get the results shown in this episode. Far longer than those dragons have been around.

You book readers have no power anymore! Still does not change the fact I could have done without that imagery in my mind.

You book readers have no power anymore! Still does not change the fact I could have done without that imagery in my mind.

13298d.jpg

:2razz:

I thought adding those alien space ships and Orion slave girls was a bit much.....

yes not seen it yet... hard to get access to it legally... so have to find alternative ways!

Not really much of a spoiler, but talking about the book a bit so tagging it.

Why would she need too that though?

Especially as it relates to the show, but even in the books, I don't recall a notion of HOW long Melisandre has been with Stannis. If it's a glamour, it's not that it's keeping her young, but simply hiding it. All she'd have need for it to make sense was to have it happen before going to Stannis and his Selsye.

Plus, magic was not as powerful or robust prior to the arrival of Dany's Dragons (or the comet in the books, take your pick) but it wasn't non-existence. Maggy the Frog's prophecy to Cersei being an example. Hell, the reanimation of Drogo came before the dragon birth.

There's hints both in the show, and in the books, of an awakening of magic happening BEFORE the birth of Dany's Dragons, and the dragons simply being part of that. The series opens with a White Walker attack far south than we've normally seen them. One of the first big events, and in the books an integral one in terms of a tie to characters, is the finding of Dire Wolves for the first time in years south of the wall. It could be said that they're simply entering an age where magic is reawakening, and Dany's Dragons are one of the big examples of this as opposed to the point of origin.

I'm guessing the red priestesses were there for the Doom of Valyria - may be where that religion comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would she need too that though?

Especially as it relates to the show, but even in the books, I don't recall a notion of HOW long Melisandre has been with Stannis. If it's a glamour, it's not that it's keeping her young, but simply hiding it. All she'd have need for it to make sense was to have it happen before going to Stannis and his Selsye.

Plus, magic was not as powerful or robust prior to the arrival of Dany's Dragons (or the comet in the books, take your pick) but it wasn't non-existence. Maggy the Frog's prophecy to Cersei being an example. Hell, the reanimation of Drogo came before the dragon birth.

There's hints both in the show, and in the books, of an awakening of magic happening BEFORE the birth of Dany's Dragons, and the dragons simply being part of that. The series opens with a White Walker attack far south than we've normally seen them. One of the first big events, and in the books an integral one in terms of a tie to characters, is the finding of Dire Wolves for the first time in years south of the wall. It could be said that they're simply entering an age where magic is reawakening, and Dany's Dragons are one of the big examples of this as opposed to the point of origin.

True. She also supposedly comes from Ashai, where Dragons might very well still be around, and magic could have never really went away to begin with. We actually don't really know what's up with that place.

I was just thinking of what was said in Qarth about why the House of the Undying wanted her Dragons (street peddlers who had previously been limited to simple parlor tricks now being able to conjure literal stairs of fire, and disappear on a whim, due to the dragons' influence), and what was hinted at in this last book about how the Maesters might have deliberately conspired to kill all the Targaryen dragons in the first place in order to usher in a new era of "science." It does make more sense, however, to assume that what's going on probably is bigger than just the dragons themselves.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot, but then I'm not really all that critical on programs like this.

I thought the first episode was pretty good, but I have been in withdrawals waiting on the next book.

I thought the first episode was pretty good, but I have been in withdrawals waiting on the next book.

Book!?!?!?!? There is a book?????

;)

Tryion is just allowed to roam around Meereen and the Son's of Harpy are ok with this? Oh and what happened to those flesh hungry bloodhounds? They literally scapper off at the first sign of trouble?

Tryion is just allowed to roam around Meereen and the Son's of Harpy are ok with this? Oh and what happened to those flesh hungry bloodhounds? They literally scapper off at the first sign of trouble?

Yeaah... This first episode wasn't terribly well written.

Hopefully, that's not going to be the "new normal" now that we're past the books.

Great observation as I thought the same thing. It just did not ring true to life - even for fantasy.

Great observation as I thought the same thing. It just did not ring true to life - even for fantasy.

Which is exactly why I dislike the Dorne plotline. It just doesn't feel... Right.

Even putting aside the fact that absolutely none of the characters (that are still alive, anyway) are likeable, sympathetic, or particularly interesting, the whole thing just feels hokey and kind of unbelievable. It clashes with the tone of the rest of the series.

My problems with the season opener:

1. How did Sansa and Theon survive the drop when they jumped from the wall? Did I miss something in two views of this opener? They start off in the episode running through the woods.

2. How did Doran Martel become so stupid that he would allow Elleria and the daughters to get so close and be completely unaware his bodyguards were untrustworthy?

3. Davos Seaworth tells Jon's friends they are not the only ones who owe their lives to Jon, clearly referring to wilding survivors and one goes to "see," then we hear nothing more of this.

4. No mention of the surviving Stark brothers north of the wall? Why not?

5. Where the frack are the three dragons???

6. There were so may loose ends they tried to tie up with this opener it clearly does not seem like a well thought-out season opener.

To tell the truth I blame George R. R. Martin, since I believe he's lost the thread of his creative process not knowing where to go after all the cliff-hangers he created at the end of his last book. It took him six years to produce A Dance with Dragons, and it's been five years since that book was published. Clearly this episode was written without much guidance from him.

My problems with the season opener:

1. How did Sansa and Theon survive the drop when they jumped from the wall? Did I miss something in two views of this opener? They start off in the episode running through the woods.

According to the ... ahem... book... they jumped into a snow drift.

2. How did Doran Martel become so stupid that he would allow Elleria and the daughters to get so close and be completely unaware his bodyguards were untrustworthy?

I was left wondering how the huge body guard dies instantly from a tiny dagger stab to the back, while Doran lives long enough to have a plot discussion with Elleria after a stab to the heart. The only magic I saw with this show was with the script.

3. Davos Seaworth tells Jon's friends they are not the only ones who owe their lives to Jon, clearly referring to wilding survivors and one goes to "see," then we hear nothing more of this.

Mayhap the writers are going to do one of those arrive at the last second saves; like what happened with Sansa.

4. No mention of the surviving Stark brothers north of the wall? Why not?

zzzz.... zzz... Sorry, it was such a boring plot line, maybe we all slept through it.

According to the ... ahem... book... they jumped into a snow drift.

I was left wondering how the huge body guard dies instantly from a tiny dagger stab to the back, while Doran lives long enough to have a plot discussion with Elleria after a stab to the heart. The only magic I saw with this show was with the script.

Mayhap the writers are going to do one of those arrive at the last second saves; like what happened with Sansa.

zzzz.... zzz... Sorry, it was such a boring plot line, maybe we all slept through it.
I hope Martin is still feeding them the plot, If Hollywood starts taking over it could get predictable.
I joke with my wife, about some movies, I say "it's like it writes itself"

That part of the story simply does not make sense.

Tyrion and Varys walking unprotected in those streets does not compute.

Jorah finding the ring was a stretch...and figuring that it meant Daenerys was taken by the Dothraki because of the find was out-there. A bit of mounting by this Kahl would have been interesting.

I am waiting to see how the Lannisters handle the revenge. I would not want to be the High Sparrow when they get moving.

New reign in Dorne could prove very interesting...especially if some of the winners (right now) lose some of their clothing. Lots of hot women there.

Which is exactly why I dislike the Dorne plotline. It just doesn't feel... Right.

Even putting aside the fact that absolutely none of the characters (that are still alive, anyway) are likeable, sympathetic, or particularly interesting, the whole thing just feels hokey and kind of unbelievable. It clashes with the tone of the rest of the series.

I wanna see momma and the daughters all naked before coming to that conclusion.

The series is now in control of the story...and any books or plots that come from this point on will dance to the tune HBO producers are playing.

The series is now in control of the story...and any books or plots that come from this point on will dance to the tune HBO producers are playing.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Martin will be in any way indebted to follow whatever choices the producers of the TV show make, especially given the various changes they've done

Back
Top Bottom