• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game of Thrones - Season 3 [READ WARNING IN POST 1]

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 3

Wow... This was the first epidode in a while that actually managed to shock me. That was an unexpected and inhumanly cold death even by GoT standards. :lol:

I haven't read the books but from watching the show I get a "they have no idea where they're going" feeling. It's the third season and I still have no idea what the endgame is. Are we supposed to be more concerned about the zombies, Joffrey, the lady with the dragons, the God of Light or the new house of assholes that have Theon?

I admire all the well rounded characters and the grey morality but eventually you have to progress beyond Act 1.

The zombies and the White Walkers that create them are the main villians of the series. If they win, the world will be plunged into permanent night and winter. I think there is a substantial amount of evidence to support the theory that the Red Priests and Dany's dragons will be the major players in ultimately stopping their plans (if the dragons ever manage to actually make landfall in the Seven Kingdoms, that is *grumble, grumble*), though I can't be absolutely sure.

The civil war in Westeros is really more or less nothing more than a distraction from this greater conflict. It sets the stage for the final battle between light and darkness that will inevitably conclude the series and occassionally contributes some small piece of the puzzle necessary to defeat the White Walkers.

Last edited:

Game of Thrones is basically the only show I'm able to watch these days. It's the only show on t.v. that has something called "character development."

Couldn't disagree more. As much as I like GoT, the characters are caricatures, and always play to type.

Jaime and Circe are calculating, King Joffrey is sadistic and cruel, etc.

Couldn't disagree more. As much as I like GoT, the characters are caricatures, and always play to type.

Jaime and Circe are calculating, King Joffrey is sadistic and cruel, etc.

Not wanting to be a spoiler, I think Jaime is breaking a bit out of caricature this season. At least in the last two episodes. Surprising, for now. I haven't read the books, so don't tell me I'm wrong. :2razz:

*prepared to put hands over eyes*

Not wanting to be a spoiler, I think Jaime is breaking a bit out of caricature this season. At least in the last two episodes. Surprising, for now. I haven't read the books, so don't tell me I'm wrong. :2razz:

*prepared to put hands over eyes*

They've all got their moments. Tywin, Cersei, and Joffery have actually been humanized considerably in comparison to the books.

Meanwhile, the show's versions of Jamie and Littlefinger have been portrayed so far as being quite a bit more evil than their counter-parts in the original source material.

It's kind of a mixed bag, honestly. Some of the characters are a tad one dimensional, but at least they've been given solid motivations for most of the things they do. That's more than you can say for a few other shows on the air at present (*cough, cough* The Walking Dead! *cough, cough*). :lol:

They've all got their moments. Tywin, Cersei, and Joffery have actually been humanized considerably in comparison to the books.

Meanwhile, the show's versions of Jamie and Littlefinger have actually been portrayed as being quite a bit more evil than their counter-parts in the original source material.

It's kind of a mixed bag, honestly. Some of the characters are a tad one dimensional, but at least they've been given solid motivations for most of the things they do. That's more than you can say for a few other shows on the air at present *cough, cough* The Walking Dead! *cough, cough*[ /I]. :lol;

Over the last two episodes, Jamie is has become more human. I wouldn't have been surprised for him to turn a blind eye to a woman in potential danger before this. Curious he did but not enough for karma to step in to save him. ;)

I know, there are several popular series I haven't been able to hang with for that very reason.

I've always been pro-lannister. Well, I haven't ever been anti-lannister to be sure.

I liked Jaime (for being a smart-ass) and even Cercei at some points, I mean, I get her whole family protection thing, I liked Tyrion (for the same reasons all do) and when I first saw Tywin in season 1, I liked him too.
The Starks are just too stupid, well, the adult Starks anyway, Ned, Robb (I know he's just a kid in the books), Caitlyn. I like Arya Stark... she seems the only one with some brains and balls so far.

Wow... This was the first epidode in a while that actually managed to shock me. That was an unexpected and inhumanly cold death even by GoT standards. :lol:

The zombies and the White Walkers that create them are the main villians of the series. If they win, the world will be plunged into permanent night and winter. I think there is a substantial amount of evidence to support the theory that the Red Priests and Dany's dragons will be the major players in ultimately stopping their plans (if the dragons ever manage to actually make landfall in the Seven Kingdoms, that is *grumble, grumble*), though I can't be absolutely sure.

The civil war in Westeros is really more or less nothing more than a distraction from this greater conflict. It sets the stage for the final battle between light and darkness that will inevitably conclude the series and occassionally contributes some small piece of the puzzle necessary to defeat the White Walkers.

So the Red Priests who have the most evil theme music in the show, one of whom gives birth to shadow spawn that murders one of the better candidates for the throne (IMO) and imprisons a Ned Stark level of noble dude, are "good" guys?

I don't buy it.

Dany sure, but I don't trust dragons. ;)

Over the last two episodes, Jamie is has become more human. I wouldn't have been surprised for him to turn a blind eye to a woman in potential danger before this. Curious he did but not enough for karma to step in to save him. ;)

I'm actually glad to see that they're sticking with this particular element of Jamie's story. The ruthless way in which they had him kill his cousin back in Season 2 never really sat well with me.

For one thing, it didn't happen that way in the books. The cousin actually follows along with Brienne and Jamie on their trek to King's Landing until getting killed by a stray arrow during an ambush. Secondly, it makes Jamie's later, more charitable, actions towards Brienne seem somewhat out of character.

Jamie isn't supposed to be a murderous psychopath like Joffery or Cersei. He never was. He's honestly more of a morally ambiguous smart ass; like a more smarmy Tyrion who uses swords instead of witty one-liners.

So the Red Priests who have the most evil theme music in the show, one of whom gives birth to shadow spawn that murders one of the better candidates for the throne (IMO) and imprisons a Ned Stark level of noble dude, are "good" guys?

I don't buy it.

GoT's not a series which always necessarily rewards morality and nobility. ;)

Having read all of the books so far, I'm honestly under the impression that there are no "good" gods. I think there's an evil god of fire and light who rules over life, summer, dragons, and the red priests, and an evil god of cold and darkness who rules over death, winter, the white walkers, and a couple of other religions which will be brought up later in the television series.

My theory is that the whole conflict between the two is essentially a "ying-yang" sort of situation. The protagonists are either going to ultimately wind up siding with the fire god as the "lesser of the two evils," or they are going to have to find some sort of third option which simply neutralizes the influence of both.

I could be wrong, of course, but that does seem to be the direction the last few books in the series have been pointing.

Dany sure, but I don't trust dragons. ;)

Just wait till she has to try and figure out how to train them once they get big enough to ride. :lamo

Last edited:

Picked up the first four books, love the show too much not to dive into the source material.

Looks like we'll have to wait an extra week for "The Rains of Castamere".

Not a Soul to Hear.jpg

have fun with that fourth book....yuck

Watching Cersei slowly self-destruct (while gloating about how brilliant she thinks she is the whole time) in the aftermath of the third book's events was kind of fun.

Other than that, however; I'd agree that it was probably the weakest enrtry in the series so far.

In preparation for tonight, I've been learning how to play The Rains of Castamere on my guitar so I could join in with the Frey band.

Watching Cersei slowly self-destruct (while gloating about how brilliant she thinks she is the whole time) in the aftermath of the third book's events was kind of fun.

Other than that, however; I'd agree that it was probably the weakest enrtry in the series so far.

It did drag on foreeeever, didn't it? It's like the section of The Lord of the Rings trilogy where you just get tired of reading Frodo's story because "we get it, you are very tired PLEASE can we go back to Minas Tirith?!", only the slowness of DWD is drawn out for many hundreds of pages.

If a dothraki wedding without three deaths is considered a dull affair, this was the wedding of the century.

Varys: I've always hated the bells. They ring for horror, a dead king, a city under siege.
Tyrion: A wedding.
Varys: Exactly.

holy crap season 3 went from being rather dull to being wow in 5 minutes... pitty the first 8 episodes were yawn.

holy crap season 3 went from being rather dull to being wow in 5 minutes... pitty the first 8 episodes were yawn.

Even Danaerys pulling a fast one on the slavers and sacking Astapor? That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

You thought Episode 4 was dull?

This season is sort of the "Empire" of the Game of Thrones universe...only instead of a hand being chopped up and someone being frozen solid, there's just utter slaughter and the Lannister's essentially all but winning the war.

Fun.

Also, for an interesting reference, History is a George R. R. Martin fan (or perhaps that's backwards....)

The Black Dinner

Massacre of Glencoe

Even Danaerys pulling a fast one on the slavers and sacking Astapor?

That was freaking obvious... no mother will give up her child (in this case dragons) for money or in this case men and weapons..

That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Yea it is mine too and I have some sympathy for her now... despite her families history.

The Red Wedding, explained perfectly by Ron Burgundy

Well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg

Apparently people are losing their **** about the red wedding scene. Full disclosure - I haven't seen any of season 3 yet (because I don't watch tv on tv, and HBO is run by morons who won't let me just buy the damn thing until about a year after it comes out) but I have read all the books so I knew this was coming. Here's a link to people freaking the **** out about the most recent episode:

Game of Thrones: Red Wedding upsets fans to the Rains of Castamere.

Truth be told, I never bought into Robb's war anyway. It always felt like the sideshow to something better.

Apparently people are losing their **** about the red wedding scene. Full disclosure - I haven't seen any of season 3 yet (because I don't watch tv on tv, and HBO is run by morons who won't let me just buy the damn thing until about a year after it comes out) but I have read all the books so I knew this was coming. Here's a link to people freaking the **** out about the most recent episode:

Game of Thrones: Red Wedding upsets fans to the Rains of Castamere.

Twitter replies: "This is going to be the most important thing for the rest of my life....for like a whole day."

Back
Top Bottom