• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game of Thrones: Is the High Sparrow a hypocrite?

Is the High Sparrow a hypocrite?

• Total voters
Your thoughts?

I think he is sincere, for what that's worth.

However, like any religious fanatic his goal is to raise his belief system to encompass everyone in society and ensure it's tenets are above secular law and government.

He says "church and state," but he means Church above State...or more precisely "Church State."

Your thoughts?

I don't think there is enough information to say if he is a hypocrite or not...

...but he is a zealot...and that, in my opinion, is equivalent to being a hypocrite.

My guess: He is going to pay a price that makes the one Ram Bolton seem tame.

Never screw with Cercei.

...but he is a zealot...and that, in my opinion, is equivalent to being a hypocrite.

Never screw with Cercei.

Zealot and hypocrite are entirely different things.

Zealot: someone who puts his beliefs over all else, and will make any sacrifice in the name of his beliefs.

Hypocrite; Someone who doesn't REALLY believe or practice their beliefs, or chiefly uses them as a vehicle for personal gain.

Not at all the same.

Never screw with Cercei.

I'd say Cercei's time has passed. Look for the knife to come from Margaery Tyrell.

It's clear she is playing a game that the Sparrow is too blind to see.

I think we have been deliberately deprived of the information needed to judge, and we will be informed of the truth in spectacular fashion.

Maybe tonight.

Game of Throws?

Strange title.

Must me a shot putting show.

'Oh Troy...don't go out there. You cannot possibly beat Claudius so soon after your injury.'
'I must my love...I cannot look our child in the face if I back down now at this City Regional Shotputt Championship'.
'Uhhhh...I was meaning to tell you...Tiberius is not your son. He is...Arthur's.'
'Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!'

<<<<<<<<<roll credits>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a game.

He's up to something and I think what made that clear was one simple smile at Jamie before Tommen stepped out of the Septon and joined the sparrow, that was a smirk of "I win".

Not exactly the type of thing that comes from a purely holy man.

This is a game.

He's up to something and I think what made that clear was one simple smile at Jamie before Tommen stepped out of the Septon and joined the sparrow, that was a smirk of "I win".

Not exactly the type of thing that comes from a purely holy man.

Maybe Mother Teresa was the inspiration. Or it could be a host of others who sell themselves and close to GOD do-gooders.

I'd say Cercei's time has passed. Look for the knife to come from Margaery Tyrell.

It's clear she is playing a game that the Sparrow is too blind to see.

He ain't gonna like what comes his way. Cercei will do lots and lots of retribution damage...and will not care a whit about what happens as a result.

I think Tommen will be part of the fun. He may be a lout...but I think he is playing at dissing his mother to be part of the lure that sucks the High Sparrow in.

I think we have been deliberately deprived of the information needed to judge, and we will be informed of the truth in spectacular fashion.

Maybe tonight.

That guy that advises Cercei has something on the HIgh Sparrow. We ought to see what it is tonight.

For some reason, I see one of the dragons being killed tonight (or early next season)...mostly because the show loves to kill by surprise.

That guy that advises Cercei has something on the HIgh Sparrow. We ought to see what it is tonight.

For some reason, I see one of the dragons being killed tonight (or early next season)...mostly because the show loves to kill by surprise.

We are back from a nature walk with the mutt, getting diner ready (lobster and potato gnocchi, side of carrots to pretend like we care about eating healthy)..... man it is so perfect outside today, dining al fresco is must (you should see my backyard..... outdoor kitchen, outdoor dinning, fire pit, koi pond with huge waterfall, gardens....the whole 9 yards).

THen we will see if you are right!

Dang, dont bother telling the story, sketching the character, just kill em off.

Dang, dont bother telling the story, sketching the character, just kill em off.

That was the end of season six who didn't get a story told about them?

:thinking

I was likely talking about the tread topic I spect....

High Sparrow had plenty of character development.

But you don't **** with Cersei Lannister.

We got to understand Margaery, but all we saw of Sparrow is that he is none to bright. Take a swing at religion, ho hum. ......I guess from that we are supposed to believe that he is true believer, because the young idiots who write these kinds of shows place loon and devoutly religious together in their undereducated brains (just mind the PC laws about telling the truth about Muslims).

Both. He was a true believer and he wanted to use that power to advance what he believed even if the methods were inconsistent with his faith.

We got to understand Margaery, but all we saw of Sparrow is that he is none to bright. Take a swing at religion, ho hum. ......I guess from that we are supposed to believe that he is true believer, because the young idiots who write these kinds of shows place loon and devoutly religious together in their undereducated brains (just mind the PC laws about telling the truth about Muslims).

Wow. Some people just have to take that Christian persecution complex with them everywhere. Even a fantasy TV show.

High Sparrow had masterfully manipulated his way into controlling the entire kingdom, through the impressionable boy-king. He got his followers into King's Landing in the first place by convincing Cersei he could help her maintain power. He convinced Cersei to arm them. He got his hooks into Tommen, and went to work neutralizing anyone who might still be able to influence the boy: Got Jaime sent off to war, put Cersei on trial, attempted to convert Margaery via torture and just in case that didn't work he none-too-subtly threatened her mother, prompting Olenna Tyrell to flee the city. He broke up Cersei's trump card when he told Tommen to eliminate trial by combat, because nobody was beating Zombie Mountain in single combat. Who was left to push back? Mace Tyrell and Kevan Lannister? Kevan always hated Cersei, so he was already falling in line. Mace was a non-factor, just like always.

The only "none too bright" part of High Sparrow's actions was failing to anticipate that a tactical freaking nuke had been placed under the Sept 20 freaking years earlier and that Cersei Lannister knew about it.

You need to learn to turn off that partisan lense you look through. It's a TV show.

Both. He was a true believer and he wanted to use that power to advance what he believed even if the methods were inconsistent with his faith.

I think you nailed it.

Holey crap isn't that the truth! I sat there with my jaw on the FLOOR, just gaping... even though I'd kinda guessed what was coming, it was still stunning.

I hate to say it, I almost ADMIRE her in a way... the purity of her resolve to do whatever she has to do to protect her children and herself in a dangerous world. Oh she's a hateful bitch, but a horrifically resourceful one.

I did NOT see Thomen's suicide coming... had to think a bit before it made sense, my mind just doesn't work that way.

I doubt that 'both' would be possible.

A true believer would never put earthly gain ahead of the teachings of their faith, no matter how noble the cause.

Back
Top Bottom