• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gallup: Most Workers either hate their jobs, or have 'checked out'

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Huh.

Seven out of 10 workers have "checked out" at work or are "actively disengaged," according to a recent Gallup survey.

In its ongoing survey of the American workplace, Gallup found that only 30 percent of workers are "were engaged, or involved in, enthusiastic about, and committed to their workplace." Although that equals the high in engagement since Gallup began studying the issue in 2000, it is overshadowed by the number of workers who aren't committed to a performing at a high level -- which Gallup says costs companies money....

The survey classifies three types of employees among the 100 million people in America who hold full-time jobs. The first is actively engaged, which represents about 30 million workers. The second type of worker is "not engaged," which accounts for 50 million. These employees are going through the motions at work.

The third type, labeled "actively disengaged," hates going to work. These workers -- about 20 million -- undermine their companies with their attitude, according to the report.....

Gallup estimates that workers who are actively disengaged cost the U.S. as much as $550 billion in economic activity yearly. The level of employee engagement over the past decade has been largely stagnant, according to researchers.

The report found that different age groups and those with higher education levels reported more discontent with their workplace. Millennials and baby boomers, for instance, are more likely to be "actively disengaged" than other age groups. Employees with college degrees are also more likely to be running on auto pilot at work.

Well, this makes me more confident about entering the civilian workplace :)

I never understood that mentality.

Some people do it for the money, not the job. What is surprising about it? Do you think the guy who pumps septic tanks dreamed of literally working with people's crap all day as a child? Not everyone lets their job define them. No big deal.

cpwill said:
Well, this makes me more confident about entering the civilian workplace

Why do you think this situation has come about?

Some people do it for the money, not the job. What is surprising about it? Do you think the guy who pumps septic tanks dreamed of literally working with people's crap all day as a child? Not everyone lets their job define them. No big deal.

I do it for the money too. That doesn't mean I check out. Maybe it was being told I wouldn't have a future as a kid, but I don't take the paycheck or my employer's satisfaction for granted.

Why do you think this situation has come about?

I blame the Boomers. :) As (admittedly) I tend to do for alot. The adoption of the idea that Life Was All About You And Fulfilling YourSelf has led to some very unfulfilling lives.

these workers are so lazy that they exploit the employers

Do you understand when somebody gets angry, sad, dissuaded,happy euphoric discouraged ...outraged ..MR.PERFECT? I know I know...why don't they just quit...you outght to wake up jolly every morning and whistle while you work while you walk uphill to and from work!! Whooee woo I'm a go getter ...I have logic!!

This is a good topic...and interesting topic as well.

I'm indifferent about it and at some point in your carreer you should be in all the above categories .... nothing makes you grow like challenge!! If you're always happy where you are ..chances are you lack ambition!!

Comments like ..."I never understood the mentality" ....has such a chilling effect on any meaningful discussion, because mostly it comes from dopes!!

Do you understand when somebody gets angry, sad, dissuaded,happy euphoric discouraged ...outraged ..MR.PERFECT? I know I know...why don't they just quit...you outght to wake up jolly every morning and whistle while you work while you walk uphill to and from work!! Whooee woo I'm a go getter ...I have logic!!

I'm indifferent about it and at some point in your carreer you should be in all the above categories .... nothing makes you grow like challenge!! If you're always happy where you are ..chances are you lack ambition!!

Comments like ..."I never understood the mentality" ....has such a chilling effect on any meaningful discussion, because mostly it comes from dopes!!

It's hard for me to have sympathy when half of the time I actually hoped I could get or be allowed to get an average job. It's not because I'm perfect, but because I think people are spoiled.

Huh.

If it makes you feel any better...

Things looked pretty ****ty when I got out(early 93). I hung out on unemployment for a couple months just to take a break, but once I started looking, took less than a week to find a job(and a fun one), and less than two months to get moved up into a skilled job. Not worth getting discouraged ahead of time. The stress of getting out and the changing lifestyle are enough.

If it makes you feel any better...

Things looked pretty ****ty when I got out(early 93). I hung out on unemployment for a couple months just to take a break, but once I started looking, took less than a week to find a job(and a fun one), and less than two months to get moved up into a skilled job. Not worth getting discouraged ahead of time. The stress of getting out and the changing lifestyle are enough.

No kidding, especially with three kids in tow. I'm 7 months out from EAS and already getting stressed :erk: :banghead: :doh

TFY, I would like to take a minute and just savor the complete uninformed foolishness of you making this post to Fiddytree :)

No kidding, especially with three kids in tow. I'm 7 months out from EAS and already getting stressed :erk: :banghead: :doh

Yeah, it does that. We all went through it, you are smart enough you will be fine.

Well, I must admit to being rather apathetic about my job, but then the burn-out rate is high, but the pay is adequate. If I wanted to really love my job, I'd likely have to live as a pauper. ;)

Huh.

I really can't blame people.You are nothing more than an expendable cog in the machine that one day your employer will chew you up and spit you out. So therefor many people do not have motivation to be a company man or to be invested in their company's success. In our fathers and grandfathers time you could start at the bottom and actually work your way up in the company and you could work until you was 50 or 60 something years old and get a pension. If I was you I would stay in the marines, maybe switch to Army, and or change your MOS to a less physically and mentally demanding MOS if you dislike your current MOS or branch of service. There is a saying that if you work at a job you love then you really never work a day in your life.But most people would be lucky to get a job they love or the job they love wouldn't pay the bills.

It's hard for me to have sympathy when half of the time I actually hoped I could get or be allowed to get an average job. It's not because I'm perfect, but because I think people are spoiled.

I teach my kids to get angry ...know why? Because weather or not I teach them .....they will get angry and I especially want them to learn to channel that anger. Not to take that anger and lash out at the world ...like some crazed shooter!! Anger motivates ......most sucessful people were at some time angry with their situation ...because they do not accept that they have some LOT in life ...and what they should do is find a way to be happy with that ...LOT in life!!

It is OK to get pissed off and to push and push and push.....and there will be more people out there calling you crazy or spoiled ........when you do!! Some even claim to be your freind!!
Thats why sports (football, basketball hockey) makes any sense!!!

I teach my kids to get angry ...know why? Because weather or not I teach them .....they will get angry and I especially want them to learn to channel that anger. Not to take that anger and lash out at the world ...like some crazed shooter!! Anger motivates ......most sucessful people were at some time angry with their situation ...because they do not accept that they have some LOT in life ...and what they should do is find a way to be happy with that ...LOT in life!!

It is OK to get pissed off and to push and push and push.....and there will be more people out there calling you crazy or spoiled ........when you do!! Some even claim to be your freind!!
Thats why sports (football, basketball hockey) makes any sense!!!

Ambition can exist with good job performance. In fact, I hear it's a good way to get references, both professional and character. :lol:

and yet....

article-2263159-16CB23C9000005DC-410_619x477.jpg

This is what happens when you treat your employee's like ****.

and yet....

article-2263159-16CB23C9000005DC-410_619x477.jpg

See that always throws me off. Perhaps my greatest fault is undervaluing my abilities, at least that's what others say :p

I really can't blame people.You are nothing more than an expendable cog in the machine that one day your employer will chew you up and spit you out.

:shrug: if you have that attitude, then you are probably correct.

In our fathers and grandfathers time you could start at the bottom and actually work your way up in the company and you could work until you was 50 or 60 something years old and get a pension.

Most Americans still do continue to advance throughout their worklives. We simply move companies, now. It seems we are simply artificially lowering the bar by not really showing up to work.

If I was you I would stay in the marines, maybe switch to Army, and or change your MOS to a less physically and mentally demanding MOS if you dislike your current MOS or branch of service

Meh, I already lat-moved out of the infantry. And did indeed find a job I love, which I will be doing on the outside. But I have found something to enjoy and take pride in about every job I have worked, whether it was landscaping or waiting tables, or being that young Marine. Life is mostly what you make of it, not what happens to you.

Back
Top Bottom