• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Galaxy Tab 3 vs 2, Worth 100$

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (10.1-Inch, White): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories

I am currently using a kindle HD 7 in. I think it is about time to upgrade to a real tablet. So far these look like my best options. The big question I have is wether the Tab 3 is worth an extra 100 bucks. Next question is wether there is a better option in this price range? Thanks on advance for any advice.

Oh, it would be primarily used for web browsing, watching videos, reading manga(comics) and books, and maybe a little gaming.

I would go for the Google Nexus 7 or 10 inch tablets. Half the price for the 7 inch or about the same for the 10 inch, and has the best screen of all tablets (the 10 inch). Also it runs Jelly Bean latest version and will be updated in the coming months when Lime Key Pie comes out.

The only drawback with the Nexus tablets.. no SD slot, but if you get the 32 GB version then well.. that is a lot of movies. And with Googles cloud services, even for books and movies, then I dont find I lack space.

Supposedly on the 11th of July, a new version of the Nexus 7 should be released with Lime Key Pie, but that is just a rumor. There is a Google event on the 11th.. so we shall see.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 would be my choice of the two above, simply because of the newer OS on it and better tech specs. It is worth the 100 extra bucks.

But to be honest, 10 inch tablets blow, and the future is in 7 inch tablets. I have both sizes and the 7 inch size (non iPad mini) simply fits much better in your hand and is light and easy to transport. It is also the size of a book imo. The 10 inch version is simply too big, as is the iPad mini.. (why it has to be so freaking wide I will never understand). Also, once you have tried a 7 inch tablet, and start to work on a 10 inch, you will find that the 10 inch is so freaking heavy hehe.

You watch your mouth. Kindle fires are ****ing amazing.

I am not badmouthing the kindle. I love mine. It is just less than ideal for some things.

Thanks Pete, just looked at the Nexus and it does look amazing. Love the resolution on that. The no SD slot is not a huge deal, the videos I watch I mostly stream. Going to be a couple weeks, so got time to consider.

If I may...I suggest looking at the Asus Transformer Infinity.

It's 100% Android (unlike Kindle) and has had nothing but glowing reviews. I've had mine for about a year now, and it's never given me any problems.

...and it's got an SD slot.

I have a Google Nexus 7, completely happy with it.

Thanks alot for the feedback. You guys are great help. One more question: what if anything is the difference between Google nexus 7 and Asus nexus 7?

Thanks alot for the feedback. You guys are great help. One more question: what if anything is the difference between Google nexus 7 and Asus nexus 7?

Hardware wise.. no.

Software wise, I suspect Asus does not run stock Android.

But else it is the exact same thing. Asus makes the Nexus 7 for Google. On my Nexus 7, it says Asus on the back.

If I may...I suggest looking at the Asus Transformer Infinity.

It's 100% Android (unlike Kindle) and has had nothing but glowing reviews. I've had mine for about a year now, and it's never given me any problems.

...and it's got an SD slot.

I have the original Transformer, and it is okay for a tablet and considering how old it is. But it is heavy compared to my Nexus 7. Hell the iPad is heavy compared to my Nexus 7 .. even the iPad mini is heavy.

This Transformer is the best of the bunch from Asus, but it is also almost a year old, and in tech terms it is ancient. It is Tegra 3, and the new tablets are coming with Tegra 4.

Asus should be releasing an updated version soon, since Google is having a press conference in a few days, where, as mentioned, the rumor is a new Nexus 7 tablet (higher res, better processor and LTE) made by Asus. So I would suspect that Asus would hold a press conference at some point after that, to launch new stuff including upgraded versions of the Transformer series.

I would still however recommend hands down the Nexus 10 if you want a 10 inch tablet. Best screen out there (even better than the iPad, Mac Book Pro and so on), and has stock Jelly Bean and is cheaper than the iPad (and faster).

But who knows, they might announce a new version next week...

I would go for the Google Nexus 7 or 10 inch tablets. Half the price for the 7 inch or about the same for the 10 inch, and has the best screen of all tablets (the 10 inch). Also it runs Jelly Bean latest version and will be updated in the coming months when Lime Key Pie comes out.

The only drawback with the Nexus tablets.. no SD slot, but if you get the 32 GB version then well.. that is a lot of movies. And with Googles cloud services, even for books and movies, then I dont find I lack space.

Supposedly on the 11th of July, a new version of the Nexus 7 should be released with Lime Key Pie, but that is just a rumor. There is a Google event on the 11th.. so we shall see.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 would be my choice of the two above, simply because of the newer OS on it and better tech specs. It is worth the 100 extra bucks.

But to be honest, 10 inch tablets blow, and the future is in 7 inch tablets. I have both sizes and the 7 inch size (non iPad mini) simply fits much better in your hand and is light and easy to transport. It is also the size of a book imo. The 10 inch version is simply too big, as is the iPad mini.. (why it has to be so freaking wide I will never understand). Also, once you have tried a 7 inch tablet, and start to work on a 10 inch, you will find that the 10 inch is so freaking heavy hehe.

I ended up taking your advice and got the Nexus 7 today. So far seems pretty nice.

My wife got me a Galaxy Note 10.1 for Fathers Day.

Absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom