• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Galaxy S3 won't connect to Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Verizon, GalaxyS3 SCH-1535 with Android 4.4.2 (encrypted), will not connect to Windows 8.1. 90% of the time the computer doesn't acknowledge any device is plugged in, though the phone charges. 10% of the time I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

This all started because I wanted to edit my music before going for a run. This evening I have tried:
  • Using different USB cables, different USB ports.
  • Removing the phone battery & SIM card, let sit for a minute, put it back together and restart.
  • Made sure MTP on phone is selected, Kies 3.0 on laptop updated and running. Kies doesn't see my phone or recognize "SCH-1535" as a model name for downloading firmware.
  • Called *#0808# and a couple other codes attempting to access USB menu, codes didn't do anything at all.
  • Tried to reboot in Download Mode, but phone reboots into SafeMode instead up to the first pin menu to unlock encrypted device, after pin is entered the phone reboots normally.
  • Entered Developer Mode and enabled USB Debugging. Upon reboot of both PC and phone, PC sees a USB device it doesn't recognize, and nothing happens. USB Debugging doesn't see new Samsung drivers on PC.
So, I'm out of ideas. Help?

Last edited:
Verizon, GalaxyS3 SCH-1535 with Android 4.4.2, will not connect to Windows 8.1. 90% of the time the computer doesn't acknowledge any device is plugged in, though the phone charges. 10% of the time I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

This evening I have tried:
  • Removing the phone battery & SIM card, let sit for a minute, put it back together and restart.
  • Made sure MTP on phone is selected, Kies 3.0 on laptop updated and running. Kies doesn't see my phone or recognize "SCH-1535" as a model name for downloading firmware.
  • Called *#0808# and a couple other codes attempting to access USB menu, codes didn't do anything at all.
  • Entered Developer Mode and enabled USB Debugging. Upon reboot of both PC and phone, PC sees a USB device it doesn't recognize, and nothing happens. USB Debugging doesn't see new Samsung drivers on PC.

Try contacting Verizon or Samsung

Barricade the doors, and try to make it through the night
Common chair placed under doorknob, windows locked closed, Mr. Tedybear placed at foot of bed to guard and I lay securely in blanket fort. PC still fails to recognize device.

Just tried these instructions: How to root Samsung Galaxy S3 CDMA SCH-I535

Phone & PC sat in Step 9 for a half hour before I restarted PC (to make sure Odin shut down before removing phone), removed phone battery & SIM card, reassembled and restarted phone. Phone still not recognized by PC....and now USB cords won't charge the phone.

I'll verify I selected "CF-auto-root.tar" before trying again.

Last edited:
You tried a firmware reset?

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?

I dunno, works for everything else.

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?

I dunno, works for everything else.
See bullet point #2 in OP. Also, please actually be familiar with trouble shooting this kind of problem or kindly do not post at all. Guesses are not welcome.

Alternatively you can use Airdroid to move stuff on and off wirelessly through your PC browser.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

Works great.
Don and don. That's an amazing app, thank you! I think I've heard of AirDroid before but it just didn't click. I still don't know wtf is going on with the USB issue but at least now I can manage my Droid in exactly the same way without the USB.

Here's a fix for a related problem I found along the way:

So now I'm off to troubleshoot what is going on with my battery. THe phone screen will sort-of flicker and the phone will shut down while the battery reads 80%+. When I plug the phone in the battery shows as being significantly under charged than the phone said while it was on. Might just be time for a new battery, but I want to make sure something stupid isn't overworking the processor or that the battery meter isn't malfunctioning.

Last edited:
Don and don. That's an amazing app, thank you! I think I've heard of AirDroid before but it just didn't click.

Still worried about the USB not being recognized. I doubt it is a Windows issue, but more likely a software issue with the phone, which a factory reset could fix.

I wasn't being a jerk. Just adding a little levity.
The issue is frustrating enough without random comments. Please confine your posts to knowledgabe steps relevant to actualy resolving this problem, or kindly do not post at all here.

The issue is frustrating enough without random comments. Please confine your posts to knowledgabe steps relevant to actualy resolving this problem, or kindly do not post at all here.

My apologies, Jerry. I didn't realize it was stressing you out so badly.

Is the phone fixed?

another suggestion is you can install an ftp server app on your phone, and move files wireless via the ftp protocol.

I like that method as it also allows you to visually watch files get larger using windows explorer. Using the USB connection, you don't see file changes after you connect the device.

If you're storing your music on a SD card just plug the SD card into your laptop and take the phone out of the equation. There also could be an issue with the USB port on the laptop. The hardware is getting worse nowadays.

Verizon, GalaxyS3 SCH-1535 with Android 4.4.2 (encrypted), will not connect to Windows 8.1. 90% of the time the computer doesn't acknowledge any device is plugged in, though the phone charges. 10% of the time I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

This all started because I wanted to edit my music before going for a run. This evening I have tried:
  • Tried to reboot in Download Mode, but phone reboots into SafeMode instead up to the first pin menu to unlock encrypted device, after pin is entered the phone reboots normally.

Just realized something... you said your phone is encrypted? Could be why Windows is having a hard time recognizing it... I would try to plug the phone into a different machine if at all possible.

Just realized something... you said your phone is encrypted? Could be why Windows is having a hard time recognizing it... I would try to plug the phone into a different machine if at all possible.
Pre Windows 8 machiens see the device as an encrypted device it cannot read, untill.....

This device pluged into a pre Windows 8 machien sees the machien and asks me if I want the machien to be able to rrad it...

When I tell the device to make itself readable, everything works and all is right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom