• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gabapentin for Sleep

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Gabapentin (Neurontin) increases slow-wave sleep and is a safe, effective treatment for insomnia. It is a widely prescribed medication in neurology and psychiatry. In neurology, it is used for seizures, neuropathic pain, migraines, and restless legs syndrome. In psychiatry, it is used for insomnia, anxiety, and alcohol dependence. It is also helpful for hot flashes, fibromyalgia, and teeth-grinding.

Benefits of Gabapentin​

• It improves sleep quality by increasing slow-wave sleep
  • It is not a controlled substance
  • It does not cause respiratory depression
  • It can be combined safely with alcohol
  • It has a wide safety margin
  • It is not metabolized by the liver (may need to be reduced with impaired kidney functioning)
  • Few drug interactions

• Between 100 & 600 mg/night has been shown to have a good effect on folks with problems getting to & staying asleep.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) increases slow-wave sleep and is a safe, effective treatment for insomnia. It is a widely prescribed medication in neurology and psychiatry. In neurology, it is used for seizures, neuropathic pain, migraines, and restless legs syndrome. In psychiatry, it is used for insomnia, anxiety, and alcohol dependence. It is also helpful for hot flashes, fibromyalgia, and teeth-grinding.

Benefits of Gabapentin​

• It is not metabolized by the liver (may need to be reduced with impaired kidney functioning)
  • Few drug interactions

• Between 100 & 600 mg/night has been shown to have a good effect on folks with problems getting to & staying asleep.
And?

What's the point of this post?

I have anecdotes:

My girl has been taking 600mg/day for years, and it hasn't done anything noticeable for her sleep.

My father takes 4 times that much, but he's never had trouble sleeping once in his life, ever.

Our vet prescribed it for our Westie, a rescue who struggles with anxiety. It does work.

I have anecdotes:

My girl has been taking 600mg/day for years, and it hasn't done anything noticeable for her sleep.

My father takes 4 times that much, but he's never had trouble sleeping once in his life, ever.
As they say, individual results may vary.

When I get over 1K mg of this stuff, I got whacked out but the only way you can take that much is by taking 200-300 mg every half hour. The transporter protein in the small intestine evolved to handle the relatively small amounts of large amino acids like gabapentin via the LARGE AMINO ACID TRANSPORTER protein. Not an experience I want to repeat.

If one can control their consumption, a small amount of weed about 1.5 hrs before bedtime can help with sleep. But you have to use it intermittently so as not to build up a tolerance. Pills always backfire on me eventually.

If one can control their consumption, a small amount of weed about 1.5 hrs before bedtime can help with sleep. But you have to use it intermittently so as not to build up a tolerance. Pills always backfire on me eventually.
I've just started using a CPAP machine but was initially skeptical about using it, say for just falling asleep. So far it has not been a problem after toking up a few minutes before bed.

Consider melatonin sleep help for occasional insomnia.​

I'm prescribed gabapentin 300 mg three times a day for diabetic nerve pain in my feet and hands. It's a literal godsend. Also gives a deep restorative sleep when taken at bedtime. Too bad you have to go to doctor to get it, should be sold OTC. But we can't have people self medicating so let 'em get some street drugs instead.

Weed almost never fails. Even though I'm retired, I hate this time change. So last night I got high an hour earlier than normal and even though I wasn't that sleepy I was out within the hour, so I got enough sleep. I'd love to use it nightly but I don't want to build up that tolerance, and overuse leads to anxiety for me.

Consider melatonin sleep help for occasional insomnia.​

Melatonin works surprisingly well and sometimes I'll pair it with valerian root. Lavender hasn't seemed to work as well as I'd hoped. My next try will be magnolia bark.

Melatonin works surprisingly well and sometimes I'll pair it with valerian root. Lavender hasn't seemed to work as well as I'd hoped. My next try will be magnolia bark.
I use it off and on. Try to stay with the natural stuff if possible. Glad it works for you. Sleep is very important for all of us. :)

Benefits of Gabapentin​

• Few drug interactions

LOL Our vet prescribed Gabapentin for one of our dogs after a recent surgery.

I use it off and on. Try to stay with the natural stuff if possible. Glad it works for you. Sleep is very important for all of us. :)

I actually love xanax - I'll be asleep in 5-10 minutes and sleep the entire night. But the Dr I currently have doesn't like to prescribe it. :rolleyes:

I actually love xanax - I'll be asleep in 5-10 minutes and sleep the entire night. But the Dr I currently have doesn't like to prescribe it. :rolleyes:
Stick with the Melatonin if you can. It's natural and much better for your body!

Stick with the Melatonin if you can. It's natural and much better for your body!

But not as fast and not as dependable. Xanax shuts my mind down fast. Melatonin usually does, but not nearly as quickly.

LOL Our vet prescribed Gabapentin for one of our dogs after a recent surgery.
Once of our cats gets it for a neurological problem.

But not as fast and not as dependable. Xanax shuts my mind down fast. Melatonin usually does, but not nearly as quickly.
Good to talk with your doctor and come up with a plan for you!!

Okay but look at this:

Warnings​

Xanax can slow or stop your breathing, especially if you have recently used an opioid medication or alcohol.

MISUSE OF XANAX CAN CAUSE ADDICTION, OVERDOSE, OR DEATH. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.

Do not stop using Xanax without asking your doctor. You may have life-threatening withdrawal symptoms if you stop using the medicine suddenly after long-term use. Some withdrawal symptoms may last up to 12 months or longer.

Get medical help right away if you stop using Xanax and have symptoms such as: unusual muscle movements, being more active or talkative, sudden and severe changes in mood or behavior, confusion, hallucinations, seizures, or thoughts about suicide.

Xanax is a federal controlled substance (C-IV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep this medicine in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away this Xanax may harm others, and is against the law. Tell your healthcare provider if you have abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs.

Before taking this medicine​

You should not take Xanax if:

To make sure Xanax is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:

• breathing problems;
  • drug or alcohol addiction;
  • depression, mood problems, or suicidal thoughts or behavior; or
  • kidney or liver disease.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. If you use Xanax during pregnancy, your baby could be born with life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, and may need medical treatment for several weeks.

You should not breastfeed.

If you do breastfeed, tell your doctor if you notice drowsiness or feeding problems in the baby.

Not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.

Benefits of Gabapentin​

• Few drug interactions

Is this the same thing? I suspect that it is:

NOW Supplements, GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid), Neurotransmitter Support... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P0WIUK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_QR5R8B0BQKCWTXMM074E

Recommended by a friend of mine which has a over active mind / racing thoughts (literally), which keep him from drifting off to sleep.

Good to talk with your doctor and come up with a plan for you!!

Okay but look at this:

Warnings​

Xanax can slow or stop your breathing, especially if you have recently used an opioid medication or alcohol.

MISUSE OF XANAX CAN CAUSE ADDICTION, OVERDOSE, OR DEATH. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.

Do not stop using Xanax without asking your doctor. You may have life-threatening withdrawal symptoms if you stop using the medicine suddenly after long-term use. Some withdrawal symptoms may last up to 12 months or longer.

Get medical help right away if you stop using Xanax and have symptoms such as: unusual muscle movements, being more active or talkative, sudden and severe changes in mood or behavior, confusion, hallucinations, seizures, or thoughts about suicide.

Xanax is a federal controlled substance (C-IV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep this medicine in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away this Xanax may harm others, and is against the law. Tell your healthcare provider if you have abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs.

Before taking this medicine​

You should not take Xanax if:

To make sure Xanax is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:

• breathing problems;
  • drug or alcohol addiction;
  • depression, mood problems, or suicidal thoughts or behavior; or
  • kidney or liver disease.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. If you use Xanax during pregnancy, your baby could be born with life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, and may need medical treatment for several weeks.

You should not breastfeed.

If you do breastfeed, tell your doctor if you notice drowsiness or feeding problems in the baby.

Not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.

Yeah, thanks. I've taken it for years. Very careful with it as I don't want to be addicted to anything. I only use it occasionally, when I just can't get to sleep, and I usually only take a half dose.

Yeah, thanks. I've taken it for years. Very careful with it as I don't want to be addicted to anything. I only use it occasionally, when I just can't get to sleep, and I usually only take a half dose.
Okay I understand. Just wanted to be sure you knew about it. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom