• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gabapentin for Sleep

We're always looking for things that help with sleep and anxiety.
Gabapentin does the opposite. I was prescribed it when a dentist damaged a nerve in my face. Jittery, anxious, almost like taking a small hit of speed. It's certainly not putting anyone to sleep.

Gabapentin does the opposite. I was prescribed it when a dentist damaged a nerve in my face. Jittery, anxious, almost like taking a small hit of speed. It's certainly not putting anyone to sleep.

I'm finding info that says it can help with sleep.

But I'm also finding info that says it can make you restless.

Either way, the possible side effects make it something I would rather not take.

I'm prescribed gabapentin 300 mg three times a day for diabetic nerve pain in my feet and hands. It's a literal godsend. Also gives a deep restorative sleep when taken at bedtime. Too bad you have to go to doctor to get it, should be sold OTC. But we can't have people self medicating so let 'em get some street drugs instead.
Consider asking your doctor for pregabalin. It works better than gabapentin and has less severe side effects.

1 I love westies! all dogs really, I used it for years, for Neuropathy but I have a lot sleeping problems
I understand that 6x100mg helps sleep. You have to take it in 2 300mg batches an hour apart. Any sooner & the drug is not absorbed. I use it.

Last edited:
I need it for pain
I have a problem in my right arm that causes pain due to an infection. I was taking Alleve (naproxen sodium) but a nurse told me that it has some nasty side effects if you use a 220mg pill more than once or twice a day. There are topical analgesics. Forget aspirin & acetaminophen (Tylenol). Voltaren is one.

I have a problem in my right arm that causes pain due to an infection. I was taking Alleve (naproxen sodium) but a nurse told me that it has some nasty side effects if you use a 220mg pill more than once or twice a day. There are topical analgesics. Forget aspirin & acetaminophen (Tylenol). Voltaren is one.
Voltaren is great, I have arthurites also, but I smell good lol

Voltaren is great, I have arthurites also, but I smell good lol
There's a new topical called Protaren, with ketoprofen, that works even better but is RX only for now.

There's a new topical called Protaren, with ketoprofen, that works even better but is RX only for now.

IMPORTANT WARNING:​

People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) other than aspirin, such as ketoprofen, may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke than people who do not take these medications. These events may happen without warning and may cause death. This risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time. Do not take an NSAID such as ketoprofen if you have recently had a heart attack, unless directed to do so by your doctor. Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had heart disease, a heart attack, or a stroke, if you smoke, and if you have or have ever had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Get emergency medical help right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness in one part or side of the body, or slurred speech.

If you will be undergoing a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG; a type of heart surgery), you should not take ketoprofen right before or right after the surgery.
NSAIDs such as ketoprofen may cause ulcers, bleeding, or holes in the stomach or intestine. These problems may develop at any time during treatment, may happen without warning symptoms, and may cause death. The risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time, are older in age, have poor health, or drink more than three alcoholic drinks per day while taking ketoprofen. Tell your doctor if you drink large amounts of alcohol or if you take any of the following medications: anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven); aspirin; other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn); or oral steroids such as dexamethasone, methylprednisolone (Medrol), and prednisone (Rayos); selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as citalopram (Celexa), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, in Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Brisdelle, Paxil, Pexeva), and sertraline (Zoloft); or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as desvenlafaxine (Khedezla, Pristiq), duloxetine (Cymbalta), and venlafaxine (Effexor XR). Also tell your doctor if you have or have ever had ulcers or bleeding in your stomach or intestines or other bleeding disorders. If you experience any of the following symptoms, stop taking ketoprofen and call your doctor: stomach pain, heartburn, vomit that is bloody or looks like coffee grounds, blood in the stool, or black and tarry stools.
=========================================================
NSAIDs like ketprofen have similar side effects to naproxen (Aleve). There is no free lunch in pain relief.

IMPORTANT WARNING:​

People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) other than aspirin, such as ketoprofen, may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke than people who do not take these medications. These events may happen without warning and may cause death. This risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time. Do not take an NSAID such as ketoprofen if you have recently had a heart attack, unless directed to do so by your doctor. Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had heart disease, a heart attack, or a stroke, if you smoke, and if you have or have ever had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Get emergency medical help right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness in one part or side of the body, or slurred speech.

If you will be undergoing a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG; a type of heart surgery), you should not take ketoprofen right before or right after the surgery.
NSAIDs such as ketoprofen may cause ulcers, bleeding, or holes in the stomach or intestine. These problems may develop at any time during treatment, may happen without warning symptoms, and may cause death. The risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time, are older in age, have poor health, or drink more than three alcoholic drinks per day while taking ketoprofen. Tell your doctor if you drink large amounts of alcohol or if you take any of the following medications: anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven); aspirin; other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn); or oral steroids such as dexamethasone, methylprednisolone (Medrol), and prednisone (Rayos); selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as citalopram (Celexa), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, in Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Brisdelle, Paxil, Pexeva), and sertraline (Zoloft); or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as desvenlafaxine (Khedezla, Pristiq), duloxetine (Cymbalta), and venlafaxine (Effexor XR). Also tell your doctor if you have or have ever had ulcers or bleeding in your stomach or intestines or other bleeding disorders. If you experience any of the following symptoms, stop taking ketoprofen and call your doctor: stomach pain, heartburn, vomit that is bloody or looks like coffee grounds, blood in the stool, or black and tarry stools.
=========================================================
NSAIDs like ketprofen have similar side effects to naproxen (Aleve). There is no free lunch in pain relief.
I know it's a trade-off. I can only use naproxen or ketoprofen for a few days before my BP goes up and I get nightmares. Sometimes my back pain and arthritis get so bad I have to take prednisone for a few days, which really has awful side effects.

And now, despite my dislike of gabapentin's side effects, I'm taking it at least a few times a week (100 mg), as I have mild (its been tested) neuropathy in my feet. Taking extended release tylenol or muscle relaxers other nights. They don't even know why I have the neuropathy - I'm not diabetic or alcoholic. My vitamin levels are fine. There has been some linkage with hyperparathyroidism, which I just had surgery for in August, so that's not it, unless it takes time for it to resolve...When I was having a CT scan to find the enlarged parathyroid gland they also found (and I curse them for this, lol, because I had no idea I had it) a severe cervical foraminal stenosis which in theory could cause it but I have no back or leg pain. My luck is that it won't be the stenosis that could be resolved with surgery and I'll have to keep cutting carbs and trying to get my pre diabetes A1c down another couple of notches. 😢 I love carbs. But I really can't complain - other than a couple of minor-ish thngs when I was younger, I've had pretty good health. Don't get old, people, lol.

Edited to add - I'm takin alpha lipoic aced and acetyl l carnitine (the acetyl is suppose to help with never fibers but you have to take if for 26-52 weeks, I think)

Last edited:

Gabapentin (Neurontin) increases slow-wave sleep and is a safe, effective treatment for insomnia. It is a widely prescribed medication in neurology and psychiatry. In neurology, it is used for seizures, neuropathic pain, migraines, and restless legs syndrome. In psychiatry, it is used for insomnia, anxiety, and alcohol dependence. It is also helpful for hot flashes, fibromyalgia, and teeth-grinding.

Benefits of Gabapentin​

• It improves sleep quality by increasing slow-wave sleep
  • It is not a controlled substance
  • It does not cause respiratory depression
  • It can be combined safely with alcohol
  • It has a wide safety margin
  • It is not metabolized by the liver (may need to be reduced with impaired kidney functioning)
  • Few drug interactions

• Between 100 & 600 mg/night has been shown to have a good effect on folks with problems getting to & staying asleep.
Use cannabis instead. The newer cbn works well.

The cbn edibles work great for sleep. If I smoked each time I got up to pee I'd be stoned until lunch...
When Prohibition got repealed, the Governor of PA was a teetotaler. Even though pot has been legal in PA, edibles are not for sale in the dispensaries. And CBN is not on their menu.

When Prohibition got repealed, the Governor of PA was a teetotaler. Even though pot has been legal in PA, edibles are not for sale in the dispensaries. And CBN is not on their menu.
It's time for the feds to reclassify cannabis away from Schedule 1.

I just got an invitation to take part in a study on cannabis edibles for chronic lower back pain. You have to go to Boulder once, and then they will send a mobile facility to your street for blood tests. And pay me $220.00, lol. The requirements are being age 21-70, have used weed at least once, have not used weed to treat lower back pain, but are interested in trying edibles for pain, and have lower back pain. I'd do it just for fun except I've never had lower back pain. I'll see if my husband can enroll in my place.

I just got an invitation to take part in a study on cannabis edibles for chronic lower back pain. You have to go to Boulder once, and then they will send a mobile facility to your street for blood tests. And pay me $220.00, lol. The requirements are being age 21-70, have used weed at least once, have not used weed to treat lower back pain, but are interested in trying edibles for pain, and have lower back pain. I'd do it just for fun except I've never had lower back pain. I'll see if my husband can enroll in my place.
Is your hubby a pot head?

I've had no experience with edibles. They may sell them in NJ which legalized pot.

Prohibiting edibles is silly. It's not as if each package has a tiny rocket motor attached.

Last edited:
Is your hubby a pot head?

Oh yeah. I'm sure he wouldn't be eligible because of it. I emailed them tho, and told them he uses weed frequently. The email back a link for screening.

I'm prescribed gabapentin 300 mg three times a day for diabetic nerve pain in my feet and hands. It's a literal godsend.
Same here. Nerve pain went from excruciating to gone.

Same here. Nerve pain went from excruciating to gone.
The thing to remember about Gaba is that is known as one of the Large Amino Acids, or LAT. That means that when you ingest it to gets transported into your system by a protein called the LAT Transporter. As our bodies are not evolved to digest these large amounts, any excess jut gets wasted. The answer is to take it in small increments over 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
The thing to remember about Gaba is that is known as one of the Large Amino Acids, or LAT. That means that when you ingest it to gets transported into your system by a protein called the LAT Transporter. As our bodies are not evolved to digest these large amounts, any excess jut gets wasted. The answer is to take it in small increments over 2-3 hours.

I'm feeling a little better about it. My concerns were that you could get involuntary eye movements, edema & that it might be bad for the kidneys. My neurologist said the eye movements are very rare, its only bad for your kidneys if you have kidney disease and edema can happen, but at higher dosages. I'm taking 100 mg at night to sleep and he said that's a pediatric dose. I'm just very wary of pharmaceuticals.....too many commercials where they tell you in happy glowing terms all the things a particular drug can do to you.

I'm feeling a little better about it. My concerns were that you could get involuntary eye movements, edema & that it might be bad for the kidneys. My neurologist said the eye movements are very rare, its only bad for your kidneys if you have kidney disease and edema can happen, but at higher dosages. I'm taking 100 mg at night to sleep and he said that's a pediatric dose. I'm just very wary of pharmaceuticals.....too many commercials where they tell you in happy glowing terms all the things a particular drug can do to you.
i have extensive permanent nerve damage. side effects, no. no concern. at 100 mgs, nothing, super safe. however it is absolutely addictive. at 100 mgs? meh. that's nothing.

trazodone is the safe preferred one. gaba for restless legs is off label use but it's a really fantastic drug. don't drive either. it lulls you to sleep unless you're moving around. rls another one is just magnesium and rx wise beta blockers like propanolol

i have extensive permanent nerve damage. side effects, no. no concern. at 100 mgs, nothing, super safe. however it is absolutely addictive. at 100 mgs? meh. that's nothing.

trazodone is the safe preferred one. gaba for restless legs is off label use but it's a really fantastic drug. don't drive either. it lulls you to sleep unless you're moving around. rls another one is just magnesium and rx wise beta blockers like propanolol

Sorry about your nerve damage. My neuropathy is mild. My dr recommended 100-300 mg, but I always like to take the least amount that is still effective. You've had good experiences with Trazadone? I was given that for occasional insomnia (this dr doesn't prescribe xanax anymore) but it just sits on my nightstand because it scares me a little.

Back
Top Bottom