• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

G7 Fiasco, Trump Lied Again

Doesn't matter to the politically insane here. If Trump suggested, or actually did it - whatever it is - it's bad. It's so easy to do. No thought is required at all.

Yes, because there is no other place in the entire US which could possibly serve to host the G7 other than Trump's Florida Golf Resort :roll:

Doesn't matter to the politically insane here. If Trump suggested, or actually did it - whatever it is - it's bad. It's so easy to do. No thought is required at all.

Just curious- what would be unacceptable corruption? If the President making a profit from a government function Isn't, I mean.

Trump got plenty of "free advertising" via international MSM coverage - simply by floating that 'very bad' idea out there. IMHO, he enriched himself while fooling the public into thinking that he "just changed his mind". Trump is crazy like a fox.

Perhaps he didn't want to have to litigate multiple bed bug lawsuits? Also, the fact that the resort was "G7 ready" has been widely disputed. And who, do you think would be financing these upgrades?

If the G7 Likes Bedbugs, They’re Gonna Love Trump Doral | Vanity Fair

In addition to the implications of forcing foreign governments to spend untold amounts of money at his personal resort and promoting the property on a world stage—things that some people view as in violation of the Constitution—concerns quickly turned to the fact that Doral, reportedly has had a run-in with bedbugs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1b32d6-ef52-11e9-89eb-ec56cd414732_story.html

Eric Trump did not respond to questions about how much the president’s company would charge the United States or foreign governments during the event. He also did not respond to questions about whether the Trump Organization would ask taxpayers to pay for upgrades to the site. One obvious concern for next year: There will be at least eight world leaders coming to this event, but at present Doral has just two “presidential suites.”

Just curious- what would be unacceptable corruption? If the President making a profit from a government function Isn't, I mean.

Shooting someone on 5th avenue, if they are not

1. Liberal
2. Woman
3. POC
4. Immigrant
5. A Never Trumper

Constitutionalists? Why thank you.

I like "at cost" wherever it is actually.

Yeah I'm sure you would have been FOR Obama enriching himself like Trump just tried. Luckily not all Republicans are dishonest crooked liars and fought against Trump on this so he backed down. You don't like "at cost" you like enriching Republicans like Trump. If you really liked "at cost" than Camp David is where it should have been held.

If his company can pull off the job as effectively and at lower cost than the competition then it’s STILL a good deal for the taxpayer.

Again, how could that be verified? Do you really think the trump administration would disclose the actual cost to the world? I can hear it now, "the trump company financials are private like their tax returns and are of no business to the public".

Those of us that actually work.

Right. Because no one who would oppose this due to it being a flagrant breaking of the law works.
What a really horrible argument.

It's like one of those little pictures in the dictionary. Look up "corruption" and you could find "high government official profiting from government contracts" used as an example.

Corruption means that you are getting something nobody else can get, doing it for personal gain at the expense of taxpayers or are using unfair means to get something as a personal benefit. That's not what was happening with this deal.

If the end result is that hosting the event at Doral actually saves the taxpayers money then it's not "corrupt".

Looks like they will. Sleep contentedly that we will likely pay more now. We will see in the end.

On what basis do you know "we will be paying more"? Because the trump administration says so? Please :roll:

Again, how could that be verified? Do you really think the trump administration would disclose the actual cost to the world? I can hear it now, "the trump company financials are private like their tax returns and are of no business to the public".

There's a whole hospitality industry that can be used to compare costs. This thing isn't being done in a vacuum. If everyone else says it will cost a million dollars and Trump says he can do it for $900k that that seems pretty doggone fair to me. Furthermore, it's not like an event like this has never been hosted by anyone before. There is all kinds of data from previous events to compare to.

The fact that the G7 at Doral was to be held at cost doesn't influence your statement above, which is exactly what I referred to.

How the heck does doing something at cost "enrich" someone? If it costs you $500 to do a certain job and you charge $500 to your customer how much were you "enriched"?

Ok, so lets say, just to use round numbers, Doral makes $15,000 for the month of June on a normal basis, based on the fact that it is a known down time, but still has to pay for all of it's electricity and all of the people who work there (minus those they lay off for the slow time). Have to buy the food, and pay someone to prepare it, ect.
Now, without an "at cost" full house they will likely lose money for the month of June as expenses will be more. But if they get a full house who pay "at cost" for rooms, food, ect, there is no way they don't make more money. I mean, it is pretty simple, more money is more.
And but also, I find it adorable that you think Trump was going to charge "at cost". I mean if he is such a nice guy, why does he bill the Federal Gov every time he and his people go to one if his resorts?

Sometimes being ethical and obeying the law costs more. I can accept that.

SickKlutzyArthropods-small.gif

Corruption means that you are getting something nobody else can get, doing it for personal gain at the expense of taxpayers or are using unfair means to get something as a personal benefit. That's not what was happening with this deal.

If the end result is that hosting the event at Doral actually saves the taxpayers money then it's not "corrupt".

You think Trumps golf resort could host a G7 if Trump weren't President?

The fact that the G7 at Doral was to be held at cost doesn't influence your statement above, which is exactly what I referred to.

I doubt the veracity of that "fact". Who told you it would have been done 'at cost'?

There's a whole hospitality industry that can be used to compare costs. This thing isn't being done in a vacuum. If everyone else says it will cost a million dollars and Trump says he can do it for $900k that that seems pretty doggone fair to me. Furthermore, it's not like an event like this has never been hosted by anyone before. There is all kinds of data from previous events to compare to.

Again, you're assuming that if "trump says he can do it for $900k" that it would be the truth. Based on how we're being stonewalled about the incentives and the costs of the defense department and Pence being sent, out of the way to trump's properties we will likely not know until trump is out of office.

A flagging hotel that is in need of updates?

Conservatives have become a banana republic, and the executive can say and do anything and you guys lap it all up.

There remains no patriots in your entire party and constituency.

We fought to destroy rule by monarchy before; do you desire us to do that again?

Again, you're assuming that if "trump says he can do it for $900k" that it would be the truth. Based on how we're being stonewalled about the incentives and the costs of the defense department and Pence being sent, out of the way to trump's properties we will likely not know until trump is out of office.

Oh for Pete's sake...

If everyone else comparable says it will be more and if you have all kinds of data from previous events that gives you an idea of how much it's supposed to cost and if Trump's quote is lower then you're saving money.

Seriously, if you go to Kroger and find a 2 liter bottle of Coke for 99 cents and then go to Piggly Wiggly and find a 2 liter bottle of coke for $1.09 which one costs less?

On what basis do you know "we will be paying more"? Because the trump administration says so? Please :roll:

They were targeting "at cost". As I stated....We will see in the end.

They were targeting "at cost". As I stated....We will see in the end.

Haha “at cost”, the Trump Organization accountants at work

A flagging hotel that is in need of updates?

Conservatives have become a banana republic, and the executive can say and do anything and you guys lap it all up.

There remains no patriots in your entire party and constituency.

We fought to destroy rule by monarchy before; do you desire us to do that again?

That rant has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the subject here.

I honestly don't give a rat's ass about the G7. It can be held at a local Salvation Army auditorium for all I care.

It's just nuts to assume there's some corrupt ulterior motive on Trump's part before the facts are known, not the least of which is that it would be illegal for Trump to profit from it.

As I said, it took more mental effort for you to find the letters on your keyboard than you put into your post, I'm being kind in putting it that way.

Last I heard NO ONE associated with Trump or the Hotel property would say what 'at cost' was. That is weird, any manager, accountant, connected to the hotel/gold course etc. should be able to give an estimate in a day.

And because we know Trump is a serial liar, meaning the even when/if they did release an 'at cost' figure, that figure would be a lie.

Oh for Pete's sake...

If everyone else comparable says it will be more and if you have all kinds of data from previous events that gives you an idea of how much it's supposed to cost and if Trump's quote is lower then you're saving money.

Seriously, if you go to Kroger and find a 2 liter bottle of Coke for 99 cents and then go to Piggly Wiggly and find a 2 liter bottle of coke for $1.09 which one costs less?

Even if POTUS made $0.00 on the whole transaction, which isn't even close to true as the place is losing money and an at cost conference would pay the bills for that month, on top of that the free advertising I know you don't think he needs it but if that were true pepsi would never make a new commercial. Still even barring that there is that law that says no employee of the government shall be awarded any contracts by the government. It is a felony.

Back
Top Bottom