• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

G7 Fiasco, Trump Lied Again

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
No surprise here. The truth is the opposite of what Trump said.

The reason Trump dropped his Florida resort as the next G7 venue is the opposite to the one he tweeted

Though he blamed the reversal on Democrats and the media...

President Donald Trump reversed his decision to host the next G7 summit at his private golf club after being told that Republicans objected to the idea, an administration official told The Washington Post.

I'm not even sure this guy can speak the truth. I can't recall a single instance when he spoke without some form of distortion or exaggeration of what the facts really said.

I'm not even sure this guy can speak the truth. I can't recall a single instance when he spoke without some form of distortion or exaggeration of what the facts really said.

I mean technically that's a half truth. Democrats, the Media and Republicans all explained to him that it would violate the law for him to host the event there. So yeah it was our fault for...you know...demanding that the laws of our country be enforced.

Maybe this is a dumb question but if doing the G7 at Doral could be done for less money than doing it elsewhere (comparable elsewhere. I'm not talking about doing it at the Holiday Inn on the south side) would it still be a problem for you guys?

Maybe this is a dumb question but if doing the G7 at Doral could be done for less money than doing it elsewhere (comparable elsewhere. I'm not talking about doing it at the Holiday Inn on the south side) would it still be a problem for you guys?

Who owns Doral?

Does that answer your stupid question?

Trump first floated the idea at the end of this year’s meeting, iirc. I’ve got to believe that someone got in his ear before Mulvaney announced it last week????

Who owns Doral?

Does that answer your stupid question?

So spending MORE taxpayer money just so the event isn't at a Trump property is the priority for the left.

...and I'm stupid.

I think I'm seeing how this works for you guys.

So spending MORE taxpayer money just so the event isn't at a Trump property is the priority for the left.

...and I'm stupid.

I didn't say you're stupid. I said your stupid question. :roll:

Yes, it would be problem. Trump owns the place and no doubt saw an opportunity for some easy money. That would constitute both a huge conflict of interests and a violation of the emoluments legislation-unless, of course, Trump suddenly got an attack of generosity and offered the place for free.

Yes, because it's also free advertising and it's difficult to get a clear sense of what the financial gains are for the owner.

Moreover, let's say I owned a crappy hotel where the G7 would cost 1/10th the usual cost, wouldn't I still be enriching myself by awarding myself the contract?

Some lawyers finally told him that this was so blatantly illegal that he certainly would be Impeached.

He did the equivalent of what he always does and settled out of court...

I mean technically that's a half truth. Democrats, the Media and Republicans all explained to him that it would violate the law for him to host the event there. So yeah it was our fault for...you know...demanding that the laws of our country be enforced.

That's true. For sure. However, if that was all it was, he'd be going over plans for renovation to get Doral up to par for the meetings. It was the Republican backlash that ultimately changed his mind. He couldn't have given a seven second, two-pump chump of a **** about what Democrats thought.

Yes. Full stop. At cost still puts money in Donald's pockets. That this is ok for you, is troubling.

Yes, it would be problem. Trump owns the place and no doubt saw an opportunity for some easy money.

And to bail out the failing facility.

Just the advertisement would be more than a lot beneficial to him.

Hell I had never heard of the place before he floated his criminal proposal...

...and I'm stupid.

Sure, so if the choices are paying for something, or paying less so that Trump can break a law, yeah, sorry, gotta go with paying more money so the POTUS doesn't flagrantly break the law.
My god, asinine premise, is absolutely asinine.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the President making big bucks off a function of the Federal government isn't an unacceptable degree of corruption, what would be?

Edit- I mean, this is exactly the same as him giving a government contract to his own company. Exactly the same. Maybe he should contract building a thirty-foot wall on the border.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the President making big bucks off a function of the Federal government isn't an unacceptable degree of corruption, what would be?

We will have to wait until a Democrat tries something as slimy to get an accurate read.
Stay tuned.

Yes, because it's also free advertising and it's difficult to get a clear sense of what the financial gains are for the owner.

Moreover, let's say I owned a crappy hotel where the G7 would cost 1/10th the usual cost, wouldn't I still be enriching myself by awarding myself the contract?

Trump got plenty of "free advertising" via international MSM coverage - simply by floating that 'very bad' idea out there. IMHO, he enriched himself while fooling the public into thinking that he "just changed his mind". Trump is crazy like a fox.

Edit- I mean, this is exactly the same as him giving a government contract to his own company. Exactly the same. Maybe he should contract building a thirty-foot wall on the border.

If his company can pull off the job as effectively and at lower cost than the competition then it’s STILL a good deal for the taxpayer.

...and I'm stupid.

Trump, Trump, Oh Trummpppppppppp

:donkeyfla

Not necessarily. You could very easily propose to do the event at cost...which, I believe, is what Trump agreed to.

As far as “free advertising”, give me a break. Trump is the last guy in the world that needs more advertising.

...and I'm stupid.

You would have to ignore Trump’s current track record when it comes to fleecing the Secret Service. You know the Secret Service moved out of Trump Plaza because of the high costs? Or how about the Air Force staying at his hotel in Ireland? Zero savings.

Of course. It's naked, transparent corruption.

If his company can pull off the job as effectively and at lower cost than the competition then it’s STILL a good deal for the taxpayer.

So laws only matter when you want them to, and not evenly applied?
That seems at odds with most of what I ready from you. Strange.

My understanding is Doral would need quite a bit of work done to be adequate, as well as a security nightmare locally. I'm not in favor of tax payers upgrading or repairing Doral and I don't trust for a millisecond that there wouldn't be profit for the name "Trump" through some alternative routes of cover. It's just simply a bad idea from the start. So no, I'd not be on board.

Why would we care what other countries spend at a Holiday Inn or any other venue that isn't owned by the President?

And who said this could be done for "less money"?

Back
Top Bottom