• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

G/Live 8 Hoax or Help?

Big Help or Big Hoax, G-8

• Big Help

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Big Hoax

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I think the thought behind it is good. But it maybe a little mis-guided. Simply releasing these nations from their debt isn't likely going to help the ave. citizen of those countries all that much, IMO. I believe they are real chances that the only people who will really benefit are warlords and dictators. But I like a good concert.

Real solutions to these problems might better be found in trade and commerce.

If they really had some sence in this whole ordeal, they would be raising money, instead of throwing it away for something that may or may not happen. Then it would raise another debate about where would the money go, or would it even reach the hungry people in Africa.

I love the idea behind it...do I think it is going to work? Maybe on a few of the leaders, but by no means all.

I was about to say that, but I thought better, lol.

Soviet_Guy said:
Sorry, Pink Floyd.

I'm glad you fixed that Soviet. I was about to layeth the smacketh down (sends the Rock his royalty check before the attorney's come knocking)

Bob Geldoff raised money in 85. He said this year he wanted to raise voices. He truly believes in the power of people and a united voice. Can't fault him for that, I suppose.

I believe turning huge amounts of attention to the plight is a step in the right direction. But this time was different from Live Aid. He is also talking about making trade with Africa more fairer for them, so they can begin to build their own economies. THAT would be a major help, however one problem. Terroristic regimes that want to keep all the profits for themselves, while continuing to oppress and murder their citizens. Hmmm I'm thinking I've heard this before. Is it really Deja Vu? :wink:

I think it's great that a bunch of spoiled millionaire celebreties can be kind enough to take time out of a single day of their year to sing songs and beg countries to forgive the billions of dollars worth of debt they're owed. Although I'm sure they worked really hard at it, so they need that nice peaceful rest in their private jet after the concert, before they have to go back to the hectic life they lead at their mansions and tropical paradises.

I'm sure the generosity of their time has nothing to do with the fact that for many of them, the brief spotlight of attention they received reboomed their record sales. I'm also sure they'll be donating all those profits to starving children and telling their accountants not to use any tax loopholes because they want so badly to help their home country provide foreign aid and debt relief.

It's all a crock of sh** put on by severly hypocritical has been, wannabe, and neverwas celebrities who's iq's collectively equal the amount of countries participating in the summit.

Stherngntlmn said:
I think it's great that a bunch of spoiled millionaire celebreties can be kind enough to take time out of a single day of their year to sing songs and beg countries to forgive the billions of dollars worth of debt they're owed. Although I'm sure they worked really hard at it, so they need that nice peaceful rest in their private jet after the concert, before they have to go back to the hectic life they lead at their mansions and tropical paradises.

I'm sure the generosity of their time has nothing to do with the fact that for many of them, the brief spotlight of attention they received reboomed their record sales. I'm also sure they'll be donating all those profits to starving children and telling their accountants not to use any tax loopholes because they want so badly to help their home country provide foreign aid and debt relief.

It's all a crock of sh** put on by severly hypocritical has been, wannabe, and neverwas celebrities who's iq's collectively equal the amount of countries participating in the summit.

wow, someone's just a bit cynical, eh?

debate_junkie said:
wow, someone's just a bit cynical, eh?
eh... I have no problem with their lavish lifestyles, and tax evasions... it's hypocrasy of their lifestyle versus their platforms on debt reform, starving children, and foreign aid that I have a problem with.

^Each celebrity has their pet project. This happens to be bono's and he has done more in his life to raise awareness in the world of this and it is something I respect him for.

So we sip a little something lay to rest the spill
Me an charlie at the bar runnin up a high bill
Nothin less than ill when we dress to kill

Everytime I come to town they be spottin me
In the drop bentley ain’t no stoppin me

Cause you gotta have cheese for the summerhouse piece on southbeach
Water so clear you can see to the bottom
Hundred thousand dollar cars e’ybody got em

assorted lyrics from "Miami" by Will Smith

New car, caviar, four-star daydream;
Think I'll buy me a football team

I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
and I think I need a lear jet

assorted lyrics from "Money" by Pink Floyd

maybe you like dom, maybe the kristal will change ya life huh?,
roll with the winners, heavy spinners like hit records,
roc-a-fella, dont get it corrected, this **** is perfected,
from chips to chicks to scribbin a lexus,

lyrics from "Dead Presidents" by Jay-Z

Swimmin in women wit they own condominiums
Five plus Fives, who drive Millineums
It's all about the Benjamins, what?
I get a fifty pound bag of ooh for the mutts
Five carats on my hands wit the cuts
And swim in European figures
**** bein a broke nigga

lyrics from "It's All About the Bejamins" by Puff Daddy(P-Diddy)

While I got a lot of brand in my name, I'm recognizable
Leavin me the cash amount, that's quite sizable
Rich in that english that's broke as hell
That's why my niggaz in the hood understand me so well

lyrics from "Cali to NY" from the Black Eyed Peas
==============================================

Every three seconds a child dies in Africa...and another 10 grand goes into the pockets of these people. Sponsored by VH1 & MTV...where they have shows that put $30,000 worth of electronics into a 1979 AMC Gremlin...and display "the Fabulous Life..." of people who shop at Harry Winston jewelers like most people shop for underwear.

Who has more money? The few dozen performers on stage in Philly? Or the 700,000 people watching them?

galenrox said:
yeah, I watched that ****, it was just a waste of time, except it was cool to see Paul McCartney and U2 doing Sgt. Peppers, but that's just me as a music fan.
All of that **** didn't do a ******* thing, just like live aid. It's just a thing so celebrities can feel like they did something without giving away all of their excess cash, so they can spend it on important things, like $5000 sunglasses and ****.

ehh I guess watching on tv would mean little. Perhaps some of us got a different view, because we were there. AND if you watched on tv, then I'm sure MTV (or VH1) also showed the little girl photographed near death, and then saw her standing before the 200,000+ in Hyde Park. I'd say Live Aid did something.

And I will never say some of the artists weren't there just to make a promotion, and lend their name to a cause. However, having said that, Bono AND Bob Geldoff BOTH have lent their time, their money, AND their voice to many causes of social change. And for that, I'll tip my hat to them in respect, everyday and twice on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom