• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

G-20: Obama Gives Press the Slip

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
G-20: Obama Gives Press the Slip - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote(Holed up with seven other global leaders in the woods of Muskoka, Canada, President Barack Obama gave the White House press corps the slip last night.)

He was shy!

Quote(Last night, the White House sent the press corps — which by agreement stays close to the president in order to report on any incident — back to Toronto, leaving the president 150 miles behind.)

Wonder why? I bet Gibbs gets more than one or two questions.

Quote(It is highly unusual for the president to shun his permanent media detail that way, particularly at a high-profile event in a remote location. One White House aide speculated that it was due to scarce accommodations in Muskoka — which is a resort area. But Mr. Obama, who’s been quite vocal in his disdain for the press at times, has blown off his press corps in the past. The White House Correspondents’ Association complained to press secretary Robert Gibbs recently when the president left the White House on a Saturday, avoided the waiting press corps, and attended his daughter’s soccer game in Northwest D.C. This is a far more significant offense than that one, and is likely to draw another complaint.)

Damn it all he is the President of the US, he can do what he damn well pleases?

I'm poking through the constitution to find where it's the president's duty to make the job of the press easy and convenient, but I can't seem to find it.

Being the president he should understand that the press is something that will follow him. He knew that when he signed up to be on the ballot. I think the main point is that he is avoiding the press during an important global meeting. What would the media be saying if this was GWB? If you can't handle the press, get out of the Oval office.

Being the president he should understand that the press is something that will follow him. He knew that when he signed up to be on the ballot. I think the main point is that he is avoiding the press during an important global meeting. What would the media be saying if this was GWB? If you can't handle the press, get out of the Oval office.

Bush did this a few times from what I recall. The press did about the same thing. They're the press, they hate getting ducked.

What did the public think? Probably didn't give a crap about reporters complaining about only have 99.9999% access to the president's every move.

Bush did this a few times from what I recall. The press did about the same thing. They're the press, they hate getting ducked.

What did the public think? Probably didn't give a crap about reporters complaining about only have 99.9999% access to the president's every move.

It's one thing to leave on the weekend like the article said Obama did to se his daughter's game. However, it's one thing to sneak away during the G20 summit. Obama snubs the media and trashes those who dare criticize him. He called FoxNews a "non news network" and I believed he tried to ban them from the White House Press Corps.

It's one thing to leave on the weekend like the article said Obama did to se his daughter's game. However, it's one thing to sneak away during the G20 summit. Obama snubs the media and trashes those who dare criticize him. He called FoxNews a "non news network" and I believed he tried to ban them from the White House Press Corps.

Can you cite a source on either of those? The second one especially I think was entirely a fabrication of Fox News, based on something vaguely remembered that I read somewhere ages ago.
Plus, even Fox News says not all of their programming is news.
Does the press have some sort of entitlement to a ride on AF1 whereever he goes?

Back
Top Bottom