• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FY2019 Budget Review

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
$458 billion collected in first two months of FY 2019 (14bn more than last year)
$761 billion spent (1115bn more than last year)

Of the 458bn collected:
-300bn went to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid
-100bn to defense
-61bn to interest on the debt

All other spending was funded with borrowing (in theory). So as usual we have a spending problem, and its only getting worse. Will Democrats in the House do anything about it? The GOP sure isnt.

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=2018-12/54861-MBR.pdf

The federal budget deficit was $303 billion for the first two months of fiscal year 2019, the Congressional
Budget Office estimates, $102 billion more than the deficit recorded during the same period last year.
Revenues and outlays were higher—by 3 percent and 18 percent, respectively—than in October and
November 2017.

$458 billion collected in first two months of FY 2019 (14bn more than last year)

Of the 458bn collected:
-300bn went to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid
-100bn to defense
-61bn to interest on the debt

All other spending was funded with borrowing (in theory). So as usual we have a spending problem, and its only getting worse. Will Democrats in the House do anything about it? The GOP sure isnt.

Neither Party is interested in doing anything about it. They are only interested in using the issue as a political football. Their direction of travel depends only on whether they are in power at the moment or not.

Neither Party is interested in doing anything about it. They are only interested in using the issue as a political football. Their direction of travel depends only on whether they are in power at the moment or not.

Well maybe now that there is some opposition they will at least obstruct each other into not spending more. I suspect the Dems will be all about raising taxes instead.

Well maybe now that there is some opposition they will at least obstruct each other into not spending more. I suspect the Dems will be all about raising taxes instead.

Dems, being all about raising taxes...that's a given.

Either party not spending more...I won't hold my breath.

Dems, being all about raising taxes...that's a given.

While you may not agree, it is a means of addressing the deficit.

While you may not agree, it is a means of addressing the deficit.

It's just about the worst means of addressing the deficit if spending is never addressed.

What's the first thing you do if you want to fill a hole? Stop digging.

They're pretty explicit that this is an overstated number.

Outlays for the first two months of fiscal year 2019 were $761 billion, $115 billion higher than they were during the same period last year, CBO estimates. If not for the shift of certain payments from October to September 2018 (which reduced outlays in the first two months of fiscal year 2017) and from December to November 2018 (which increased outlays for the same period in fiscal year 2018), that year-to-year increase would be much smaller—$27 billion rather than $115 billion.

How does the $27B increase break down? +$8B for Social Security, +$9B DoD, +$5B interest on the debt, $+4B other. Astonishingly, Medicare and Medicaid growth was zero (or maybe not-so-astonishingly, given that the Dems reformed both programs the last time they had power).

So do we cut defense or Social Security?

How does the $27B increase break down? +$8B for Social Security, +$9B DoD, +$5B interest on the debt, $+4B other. Astonishingly, Medicare and Medicaid growth was zero (or maybe not-so-astonishingly, given that the Dems reformed both programs the last time they had power).

How are things in that liberal utopian world in which you live. OMG, SS growth continues but obviously not enough for you as in your world the Federal bureaucrats always need to promote the entitlement programs vs. reforming them and making them more efficient. You are a big govt. nanny state supporter who never answers direct questions like most liberals and never admit when wrong even when proven wrong.

Trump addressed spending in his budget and the true responsibilities of the federal govt. provide for the common defense. The only time defense is on the table for you is after a 9/11 style attack when you can blame a Republican for not preventing it

How are things in that liberal utopian world in which you live. OMG, SS growth continues but obviously not enough for you as in your world the Federal bureaucrats always need to promote the entitlement programs vs. reforming them and making them more efficient. You are a big govt. nanny state supporter who never answers direct questions like most liberals and never admit when wrong even when proven wrong.

Trump addressed spending in his budget and the true responsibilities of the federal govt. provide for the common defense. The only time defense is on the table for you is after a 9/11 style attack when you can blame a Republican for not preventing it

What are you responding to? Who are you responding to? Why did you quote my post?

What are you responding to? Who are you responding to? Why did you quote my post?

Because as usual we can count on your complaining about entitlement programs not getting enough money and how it is the federal government's role to provide you with a personal responsibility need. Keep talking about federal revenue growth requirements but never about waste, fraud, abuse and the reality that people keeping more of what they earn need less of that so called liberal help you want to promote

We cut healthcare spending, which has doubled since democrats 'reformed' it in 2009.

Medicare 430bn
Other healthcare spending 350bn

Medicare 600bn
Other Health 600bn

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/hist03z1-fy2019.xlsx

And then we cut everything else too.

We cut healthcare spending, which has doubled since democrats 'reformed' it in 2009.

Medicare 430bn
Other healthcare spending 350bn

Medicare 600bn
Other Health 600bn

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/hist03z1-fy2019.xlsx

And then we cut everything else too.
Medicare is old people coverage. It's been expected to balloon with the unhealthy baby boomers. Obamacare doesnt have much to do with that right now but getting everyone covered from a young age I'd expect would lower rates of some chronic and preventable illnesses and save us a lot of money in the long run. If I didn't have insurance I wouldnt know I have high blood pressure and a hiatal hernia that I have to manage long term or become another statistic. Both of those things likely develop into huge money pits and death if not managed. Needless to say I'm taking the whimsical "exercise and eat better" line more seriously now.

Prevention has always been the best cost saver. It's the same with Medicare. We have some of the highest rates of obesity in the world, like 30 or 40%, and that all translates into preventable chronic and expensive diseases in mid and late life. We cant afford this lifestyle. Cutting the obesity rate, and possibly substance dependence, could easily save entitlements on their own. Why its not talked about much is beyond me. I think our economy also leaches on those lifestyles. Big pharma, big ag, big chemical, big healthcare, big alcohol all see our poor choices as revenue opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Medicare is old people coverage. It's been expected to balloon with the unhealthy baby boomers. Obamacare doesnt have much to do with that right now but getting everyone covered from a young age I'd expect would lower rates of some chronic and preventable illnesses and save us a lot of money in the long run. If I didn't have insurance I wouldnt know I have high blood pressure and a hiatal hernia that I have to manage long term or become another statistic. Both of those things likely develop into huge money pits and death if not managed. Needless to say I'm taking the whimsical "exercise and eat better" line more seriously now.

Prevention has always been the best cost saver. It's the same with Medicare. We have some of the highest rates of obesity in the world, like 30 or 40%, and that all translates into preventable chronic and expensive diseases in mid and late life. We cant afford this lifestyle. Cutting the obesity rate, and possibly substance dependence, could easily save entitlements on their own. Why its not talked about much is beyond me. I think our economy also leaches on those lifestyles. Big pharma, big ag, big chemical, big healthcare, big alcohol all see our poor choices as revenue opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We were told Obamacare would reduce medicare and healthcare costs. And its doubled it. They both increased medicare costs and added a few hundred billion in new healthcare costs by just buying people insurance.

We were told Obamacare would reduce medicare and healthcare costs. And its doubled it. They both increased medicare costs and added a few hundred billion in new healthcare costs by just buying people insurance.

Cumulative Medicare spending over this decade (2010-19) will end up about $900 billion below the pre-ACA baseline. Per capita costs in the program are actually dropping at this point.

If you look at all national health expenditures--all health care costs--we're on track to be a cumulative $2.6 trillion below the pre-ACA baseline. And that's with an additional 20 million people insured.

Health care cost growth did slow down. Substantially.

Looks like revenue is down for 2018.

fredgraph.png

It's just about the worst means of addressing the deficit if spending is never addressed.

What's the first thing you do if you want to fill a hole? Stop digging.

If your concern is about “making the hole bigger “ then why do vote republican? They increase spending and cut revenues. It’s why the deficit always shoots up under republicans.

If your concern is about “making the hole bigger “ then why do vote republican? They increase spending and cut revenues. It’s why the deficit always shoots up under republicans.

I don't "vote Republican". I don't follow any herd (Party).

In fact, Republican Congressmen are no different than Democratic Congressmen when it comes to dealing with government spending.

I don't "vote Republican". I don't follow any herd (Party).

In fact, Republican Congressmen are no different than Democratic Congressmen when it comes to dealing with government spending.

really? All I've ever seen you post is "fact resistant" defenses of republicans and "fact resistant" attacks on democrats. Case in point, you just whined about "making the whole bigger" but think dems and republicans are equally bad. They're not. and the truly ironic thing is that the group that is worse for deficit constantly lies to you that they want to lower the deficit.

Raising taxes in an election year? Interesting strategy.

There are more retirees who have nothing better to do than vote than there are soldiers.

really? All I've ever seen you post is "fact resistant" defenses of republicans and "fact resistant" attacks on democrats. Case in point, you just whined about "making the whole bigger" but think dems and republicans are equally bad. They're not. and the truly ironic thing is that the group that is worse for deficit constantly lies to you that they want to lower the deficit.

Fact based...not fact resistant. What I resist is spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole and lies.

And yes...the Dems and Reps are equally bad when it comes to deficit spending. (the "hole")

So Vern, since you are so concerned about the deficit and debt now, which of course you weren't during the Obama term when he added 9.3 trillion to the debt, how is this going to help lower the deficit and thus address the debt?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dems-house-takeover-to-usher-in-wave-of-trump-investigations

So Vern, since you are so concerned about the deficit and debt now, which of course you weren't during the Obama term when he added 9.3 trillion to the debt, how is this going to help lower the deficit and thus address the debt?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dems-house-takeover-to-usher-in-wave-of-trump-investigations

Oh Con, I am concerned about the deficit. I just don't obsess over it the conservatives used to. Yea, used to. Remember how you guys foamed at the mouth about deficits, blamed President Obama for the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits he inherited and lied about how much he added. Oh look, you're still lying about the amount. No shock there. As far as your obedient deflection goes, I never heard one conservative express concern about the debt during the 8 or 9 Benghazi investigations. Oh and Con, before you post "nuh uh" to your falsehood about how much was added to the debt under President Obama, make sure you use the official treasury tables you're so fond of. Here, let me post it for you

Back
Top Bottom