• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

future teachers

democrat17

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
i plan to go to college for secondary education and history, but underfunding in schools is making me really mad. why do they have to cut the budgets of the education system when so many other programs could use the cut in budgets. this makes no sence, when you lose teachers it affects the entire work force, no one teaching, no one learning their job.

Ahhh History Teacher eh. That's what I'm doing. What part of History are you focusing on in your studies?

Hey! Look at this three history teachers(future). I want to be a world history teacher and an ISS and American problems. I have to get my PHd before I go to apply at the school I want to. Which is the school I went to Prospect high school. The average starting salary is upper 40's and after twenty yrs I will be making around 100 thousand a yr. Going to be fun!

FIRST, all of you future teachers need to learn to spell, punctuate, and use correct grammar!!!!!!!:rofl

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
ANd then we can all publish books conservatives don't like and whine about as biased! Yah!

In a nutshell you stated the problem with the current compulsory public
education system. Too many teachers put a :spin: on whatever subject(s)
they teach rather than teach facts.

I applaud you for picking history as a major. I believe you will be disappointed
(or maybe not?) when you arrive in the classroom. You will be forced through
federal edict to teach social history, essentially sociology, versus fact-based
history. Sadly many high school graduates can't pick the founders out of
a bust or pictorial line-up. Too many kids are no longer expected to recite
the Gettysburg Address, memorize the chronology of Presidents, recite the
preamble to the Constitution or memorize the basic precepts of the first
ten amendments (Bill of Rights). It's sad. I hope you can change things for
the better.

Of course, who's to say you'll teach US History? Presumptuous of me,
sorry.

Good luck.

Last edited:
XShipRider said:
In a nutshell you stated the problem with the current compulsory public
education system. Too many teachers put a :spin: on whatever subject(s)
they teach rather than teach facts.

I applaud you for picking history as a major. I believe you will be disappointed
the better.

Of course, who's to say you'll teach US History? Presumptuous of me,
sorry.

Good luck.

A little spin, notice I said a little, would be a good thing if it is done in a balanced manner. My high school history class was BORING, but that was back in 63-64, or pre-history for some of you here.
We never really discussed current events, like the Vietnam war, or politics, or much of anything, just learned events, dates, time, places of event, etc.
Like I said, boring.:(
I had a college prof in my night classes, circa 1981, who made history very entertaining as well as informative and stimulating. But he is not your common teacher/professor. We need more like him, hope you guys can do it.:cool:

the better.

Well, at our school, the teachers could use their own texts as suppliments. I already know what one I want to get. I don't see the point in regurgitating the ghettysburg address either. It's rather pointless.

Why memorize when you can just carry around a pocket Constitution? That's what I do. Most people forget such details anyway. I don't have everything memorized. It's impossible.

Well, I basically have to teach US history, since that's the most frequently taught class. SOmetimes I Might get Western Civilization.

I'm also planning on teaching history but at the college level. Less ignorance and more freedom heh.

True, you do have more freedom and the people are generally more studious, but I like the Highschool atmosphere more. I miss it, in some ways. Also, I get paid more earlier. I looked up and professors don't seem to make enough for the time they must school.

There are so many gradations of professorship that for me it's just not worth the money to get the doctorate.

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
True, you do have more freedom and the people are generally more studious, but I like the Highschool atmosphere more. I miss it, in some ways. Also, I get paid more earlier. I looked up and professors don't seem to make enough for the time they must school.

There are so many gradations of professorship that for me it's just not worth the money to get the doctorate.

Ah I understand where you're comming from. Really, if you're going to be a professor you'd better be able to write a ton of books and essays because the salary isn't all that good and you'd better have a really good proposition for a research grant.

but that was back in 63-64...We never really discussed current events, like the Vietnam war

Check your history books. Not much going on in Vietnam in '63,'64. In '62, JFK increased our presence in S. Vietnam with a relative handful of advisors. That presence grew to a few hundred in '63, '64. Still a relatively small presence as compared to the build-up that began acceleraing in '65 - '66.

In '63, '64, the seeds were being sown, but as compared to just a few years later, our presence was quite small. Events in '63, '64 became much more interesting in hindsight. Consequently, it should be no real surprise that you didn't talk much about it in class at the time.

Back
Top Bottom