• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Future of education

laska

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
[h=2]BYU’s new alternate reality game: Save your parents’ lives with science:[/h]BYU

A bit too dramatic to be forced to engage in science so as to "save the lives of their parents," is it not?

A bit too dramatic to be forced to engage in science so as to "save the lives of their parents," is it not?

Should have gone zombies. Having interactive video game type virtual courses that are as fun and addictive as watching The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad where you can download as cheap as an itune in a virtual university on steroids is my vision on the future of education.

Tomb Raider would be a great platform for an education/video game series. For example say a high school chemistry course would be set up like the following: students for homework would watch a video lecture for the chapter by say Walter White of Breaking Bad fame, the lecture being designed by the best teachers and writers, to make it fascinating, entertaining, and very effective in teaching the core concepts. There would be an interactive chalkboard with graphics to give a visual of what is being taught beside Mr. White as he is talking. There would be an online textbook so students can also read the chapter in the traditional way. They then play the chapter in Tomb Raider Chemistry edition where say they are in a tomb with Lara and they have to solve a puzzle using the concepts learned from the lecture and chapter. There would be software that keeps track of play and lets the teacher know what foundatinal issues students are having problems with, and then in class besides open discussion with students, the teacher goes around and tudors each student individually based on where the software shows they are struggling. If the video game/viedo course is amazing in quality and design it will make learning fun and adventurous as it should be. Tomb Raider could just be one choice of a myriad of gaming platforms students can choose from.

1aaa.jpg

Tomb Raider would be a great platform for an education/video game series. For example say a high school chemistry course would be set up like the following: students for homework would watch a video lecture for the chapter by say Walter White of Breaking Bad fame, the lecture being designed by the best teachers and writers, to make it fascinating, entertaining, and very effective in teaching the core concepts. There would be an interactive chalkboard with graphics to give a visual of what is being taught beside Mr. White as he is talking. There would be an online textbook so students can also read the chapter in the traditional way. They then play the chapter in Tomb Raider Chemistry edition where say they are in a tomb with Lara and they have to solve a puzzle using the concepts learned from the lecture and chapter. There would be software that keeps track of play and lets the teacher know what foundatinal issues students are having problems with, and then in class besides open discussion with students, the teacher goes around and tudors each student individually based on where the software shows they are struggling. If the video game/viedo course is amazing in quality and design it will make learning fun and adventurous as it should be. Tomb Raider could just be one choice of a myriad of gaming platforms students can choose from.

View attachment 67180792

Cool concept. This is a big issue I have with education though. And it isn't the education in the classroom. It is the cultural education our kids receive. When did video games become life? Maybe my generation is to blame? I mean we really became the market. And now it is worse. I know one thing: I won't be letting my kids spend their lives on games.

Idk. It just sucks that we have to change the way education has been done for years because of video games. But you are right....we could adapt and learn and use it.

Back
Top Bottom