• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fusion energy will be developed in running in 15 years

Re: Batteries not included

50 years ago they said fission plants would produce electricity too cheap to bother metering it....
As long as the engineers and scientists keep telling congress the big lie (just around the corner, really) we will keep chasing the dream.

We see the lies to congress and the public all the time. Like with global warming.

The thing with fusion is that whatever the result of all the messing about with it it will always need a vast amount of extremely expensive magnetic coils to hold it. These will have to be somehow protected from the extreme temperatures they are holding. All this equals vast cost.

It may one day produce infinately renewable energy but I think it will always be very very expensive energy.

The magnets have been developed, the fusion reactors exist, and the fusion power plants exist, but they all need to be put together and the reactors need to be improved. I have mentioned this from the beginning.

Okay. Everything works. Light 'er up!

How about actually reading the article, and click the link within the article.

I rarely waste my time on such things. Since you can't seem to name the scientists, I will assume there aren't any, and what you are reading is a sales pitch from some MIT department at best.

Re: Bang the drum slowly

You modified your statement, not the post. Consider yourself ignored.

Contextomy fallacy. Bulverism fallacy.

Any capable cylotron can smack a couple of atoms together and fuse them. That is not a practical source of power. If a reactor is not producing power, it is NOT a power plant.

You are ignorant of the physics.

Scientists currently claim CO2 currently exerts around 32 W/m^2 of forcing. They claim H2O exerts more than 160 W/m^2. The total back radiation of longwave to the surface and the solar radiation is around 500 W/m^2. Trenberth et. al. 2009 places the number at 494 W/m^2.

We are now talking of around a 2 W/m^2 increase from CO2. This places our added CO2 since 1750 at around 0.4% of an increase. Now where the ice is, CO2 has a larger effect in the polar regions. The effect is still under 1% added forcing.

What you followers of the AGW dogma don't realize is that these horrifying forcing number the IPCC et. al. say will be devastating, are small. You guys eat up the propaganda, hook, line, and sinker.

CO2 is not a force. It cannot force anything. It has absolutely no capability to warm the Earth using surface infrared.

The thing with fusion is that whatever the result of all the messing about with it it will always need a vast amount of extremely expensive magnetic coils to hold it. These will have to be somehow protected from the extreme temperatures they are holding. All this equals vast cost.

It may one day produce infinately renewable energy but I think it will always be very very expensive energy.

Nothing is infinitely renewable since the Earth itself is not going to last for infinity (at least in its present position around the Sun, which will eventually bloat out and consume the Earth).

Oil and gas are fossilized plants
A fossil is a recognizable image of a plant or animal in solid rock.
Oil is a liquid, dude. Methane is a gas. They are not fossils.
who for millions of years extracted CO2 from the air and incorporated the carbon into their cells.
Both oil and natural gas are found well below any fossil layers.
When we burn these fuels that carbon is released back into the atmosphere.
Releasing carbon during a burn is soot. That's an inefficient burn and wasted fuel. Carbon itself IS fuel. I assume you mean carbon dioxide, a naturally occurring gas in the atmosphere. So burning fuel releases carbon dioxide. So?
Since CO2 is a greenhouse gas
There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse' gas. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth using infrared light emitted by the surface. The 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law say why. You just want to deny these theories of science.
that increased concentrations of it cause more heat from the Sun to be trapped by the Earth causing warming.
It is not possible to trap heat. It is not possible to trap thermal energy either. There is always heat.
This warming is melting the Greenland glaciers at a rate 50% faster in the last 2 decades.
They are not melting. Melting Greenland ice would produce a river at least the size of the Mississippi river to discharge the snowfall rate in Greenland just to keep even. No such river.
The total melting of Greenland is forecast to raise the sea levels by 23 feet.
Not enough ice. I don't think you realize just how much water is IN the oceans.
Where do you live?
...deleted Holy Rolling Stones Link...
I guess looking at the Location field in each of my posts is beyond your skill and cunning.

Extra forcing from CO2 only has an insignificant effect on the radiant heat glaciers see. No more than 1% extra energy. Aerosols, however, can cause more than a doubling of radiant energy absorbed by changing the albedo of snow and ice.

Very simply physics, but the lies never end.

So I can't use my can of Lysol, eh?

A fossil is a recognizable image of a plant or animal in solid rock.
Oil is a liquid, dude. Methane is a gas. They are not fossils.

Both oil and natural gas are found well below any fossil layers.

Releasing carbon during a burn is soot. That's an inefficient burn and wasted fuel. Carbon itself IS fuel. I assume you mean carbon dioxide, a naturally occurring gas in the atmosphere. So burning fuel releases carbon dioxide. So?

There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse' gas. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth using infrared light emitted by the surface. The 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law say why. You just want to deny these theories of science.

It is not possible to trap heat. It is not possible to trap thermal energy either. There is always heat.

They are not melting. Melting Greenland ice would produce a river at least the size of the Mississippi river to discharge the snowfall rate in Greenland just to keep even. No such river.

Not enough ice. I don't think you realize just how much water is IN the oceans.

I guess looking at the Location field in each of my posts is beyond your skill and cunning.

LOL You are the epitome of the adage "ignorance is bliss". You are apparently very happy to be totally clueless about the Earth, science or even common sense. Where do you think crude oil and natural gas come from is not from ancient plants?
The reason they're called fossil fuels is actually a bit strange. Fossils are mineralized remains of ancient plants and animals. They're our primary way of studying life forms that lived millions of years ago. But actual fossils have nothing to do with any of the fuels. The term 'fossil' has come to be used as slang for anything particularly ancient, even though that's not the original meaning of the word. As a result, these fuel sources that come from ancient plants and animals are referred to with that word, even though no actual fossils are involved.

The reason fossil fuels, as a class, are so important is because they're non-renewable. Once a fossil fuel is burned, it won't be replaced for millions of years (or possibly ever, as the processes that created them may no longer work the same way). That means that when we run out of a fossil fuel, it's gone forever. If we have nothing to replace it, then we're in trouble. The other impact is that there's a huge amount of carbon locked up in the fossil fuels. All of this carbon has been sitting in the earth for an unimaginably long time. As we burn it, we're releasing this carbon into the atmosphere, in the form of carbon dioxide, which causes serious environmental problems.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/06/28/though-ancient-fossil-fuels-dont-actually-come-from-fossils/#2d3cefba6081

LOL You are the epitome of the adage "ignorance is bliss". You are apparently very happy to be totally clueless about the Earth, science or even common sense. Where do you think crude oil and natural gas come from is not from ancient plants?

Apparently you didn't pay attention the last time I described this.

The Earth makes oil and natural gas continuously. All you need to make oil or natural gas (both hydrocarbons) is a source of carbon (which can be carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide), hydrogen, heat, and pressure, in the presence of iron, which acts as a catalyst.

All conditions found naturally underground.

Both oil and natural gas are found well below any fossil layers. Wells that have been drained and capped refill. Oil can be found anywhere you care to drill for it, if you are willing to go deep enough. It is closest to the surface near the edges of tectonic plates, especially where spreading action is taking place. That's where the major oil fields are.

Carbon dioxide is a benign gas that is absolutely essential for life on Earth. It has absolutely no capability to warm the Earth using infrared light emitted from the Earth's surface. No gas or vapor does.

We currently have plenty of oil. Prices are down...a lot. We are effectively awash in oil. We are not running out, nor ever will we. Oil and natural gas are renewable resources.

How do you explain the natural gas on the moon Titan? What dinosaurs or plants have been living on Titan??

The Earth makes oil and natural gas continuously. All you need to make oil or natural gas (both hydrocarbons) is a source of carbon (which can be carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide), hydrogen, heat, and pressure, in the presence of iron, which acts as a catalyst.

Both oil and natural gas are found well below any fossil layers. Wells that have been drained and capped refill. Oil can be found anywhere you care to drill for it, if you are willing to go deep enough. It is closest to the surface near the edges of tectonic plates, especially where spreading action is taking place. That's where the major oil fields are.

Carbon dioxide is a benign gas that is absolutely essential for life on Earth. It has absolutely no capability to warm the Earth using infrared light emitted from the Earth's surface. No gas or vapor does.

We currently have plenty of oil. Prices are down...a lot. We are effectively awash in oil. We are not running out, nor ever will we. Oil and natural gas are renewable resources.

How do you explain the natural gas on the moon Titan? What dinosaurs or plants have been living on Titan??

Do you have links to sources for these things you're saying?

CO2 is a waste product of respiration and is toxic to animal life at just 5000 PPM. Oil and Gas are purely derived from plants that over millions of years removed the volcanic CO2 from the atmosphere to make carbon compounds and changed the Earth from an inferno with no polar ice caps to the climate we enjoy today. Releasing all the sequestered carbon back into the air will revert the Earth back to a climate inhospitable to most forms of life that exist today. Titan is not Earth and we have only a tiny amount of methane that is not plant derived.

Last edited:

Do you have links to sources for these things you're saying?

Look up the Fischer-Tropsche process for an introduction. You might also research the depth reached by oil and natural gas well drilling, as well as the average depth of the fossil layers themselves. Studying chemistry would help, particularly endothermic reactions concerning carbon and hydrogen. For information on the moon Titan, you might want to study this moon and it's composition. Concerning magick gases that somehow warm the Earth using the infrared light emitted from the surface, I suggest you study the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. Market information on oil and natural gas is publicly available. So is the money market information, including the gold and silver market information.

Happy researching!

CO2 is a waste product of respiration
Depends on which respiration you are referring to.
and is toxic to animal life at just 5000 PPM.
No, it isn't. It displaces oxygen, but it is not toxic in and of itself.
Oil and Gas are purely derived from plants that over millions of years
Nope. They are made continuously by Earth.
removed the volcanic CO2 from the atmosphere
Volcanoes do not remove CO2 from the atmosphere. The CO2 they put out shows that CO2 is available underground.
to make carbon compounds and changed the Earth from an inferno with no polar ice caps to the climate we enjoy today.
How did plants grow in an inferno???
Releasing all the sequestered carbon back into the air will revert the Earth back to a climate inhospitable to most forms of life that exist today.
Yeah...I've read that recent article. It's wrong. Parroting it here does not make it right. Carbon is not carbon dioxide, dude.
Titan is not Earth
Never said it was.
and we have only a tiny amount of methane that is not plant derived.
How did all that methane appear on Titan then? No plants on Titan!

Look up the Fischer-Tropsche process for an introduction. You might also research the depth reached by oil and natural gas well drilling, as well as the average depth of the fossil layers themselves. Studying chemistry would help, particularly endothermic reactions concerning carbon and hydrogen. For information on the moon Titan, you might want to study this moon and it's composition. Concerning magick gases that somehow warm the Earth using the infrared light emitted from the surface, I suggest you study the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. Market information on oil and natural gas is publicly available. So is the money market information, including the gold and silver market information.

Happy researching!

Before I do any research, I just want to point out that I was taught that oil was usually found at the level of the ancient ocean bottoms. Not, usually, at the level of plant fossils. It might surprise you to hear that most of the plant life on earth has always been much too small to leave fossils. Most oil is the result of centuries worth of dead plankton.

Before I do any research, I just want to point out that I was taught that oil was usually found at the level of the ancient ocean bottoms. Not, usually, at the level of plant fossils. It might surprise you to hear that most of the plant life on earth has always been much too small to leave fossils. Most oil is the result of centuries worth of dead plankton.

We can and do synthesize both oil and natural gas from nonbiological materials in little more than a few hours. The conditions for the process are similar to what is naturally found underground.

Ancient sea beds leave the remains of any life that was in that sea in the surface fossil layers. Oil and natural gas are found well below that.

Go do your research.

Back in the usenet days of the late 1980's when cold fusion seemed just around the corner,
someone pointed out that hydrogen bombs already produce more energy out than what we put in.

I have been hearing about fusion power for decades and seen the torus chambers and laser implodes.

Never seen this:

before.

Back
Top Bottom