• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Funeral or Political Shootout

Was the funeral of Coretta Scott King a funeral or a Bush bashing pep rally

  • Funeral

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Bush Bashing Pep Rally

    Votes: 12 85.7%

  • Total voters
    14

F41

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What was suppose to be a funeral turned into a Bush bashing political shootout. I personally am disgusted a the actions of these so called mourners that attended the funeral of Coretta Scott King.

Those like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton Jimmy Carter and many others paid more attention to Bush then to Mrs. King. As I sat and watched what I was able to catch on Television I was in total disgust of what has become of many Black Americans today.

I was happy to see that Bill Clinton realized there was a woman there and they should not forget this.

Was this a funeral or was it just a Bush bashing party
 
Last edited:

trinettec

New member
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
New Mexico US
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I have never been a fan of Bill Clinton, but at least his speech showed some class. He was one of the few Dems that remembered it was a funeral.
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Carter was a lousy President and has shown he is a lousy ex President. With no class and no dignity.
 

F41

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
JOHNYJ said:
Carter was a lousy President and has shown he is a lousy ex President. With no class and no dignity.
This is a quote from Carter at the King funneral:
http://www.newmediajournal.us/daily_columns/02082006.htm

Former president, Hamas supporter and current national disgrace Jimmy Carter also felt that a funeral was the appropriate venue for politics.

"It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps," Carter said alluding to the current controversy surrounding the legal surveillance of terror suspects during International cell phone calls.
The wiretapping he spoke of on MLK was done and authorized by the Democrats, Bobby Kennedy was the one who approved the wire tap. Why do they feel they need to use her funeral to make attacks on the current administration?

If you are a major player in the Democrat party, DON`T DIE. You will probably be used as a political pawn for your party while you lay in a box.
 

Goobieman

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
17,343
Reaction score
2,876
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
One can only womder -- if Ted kennedy were to die while Bush is President, and he were to mention his ...um... problems... with water, what do you suppose the liberals would say?
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,334
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
ThePhoenix said:
What was suppose to be a funeral turned into a Bush bashing political shootout. I personally am disgusted a the actions of these so called mourners that attended the funeral of Coretta Scott King.

Those like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton Jimmy Carter and many others paid more attention to Bush then to Mrs. King. As I sat and watched what I was able to catch on Television I was in total disgust of what has become of many Black Americans today.

I was happy to see that Bill Clinton realized there was a woman there and they should not forget this.

Was this a funeral or was it just a Bush bashing party

I find it disgusting that a funeral used to honor a wife of a great civil rights leader was turned into a political shoot out.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
LOL, nice thread title, why didn't I think of that?:rofl
 

disneydude

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
25,528
Reaction score
8,470
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Two Replies:

First, what you Republicans fail to understand in your argument is that Coretta King's life was political. This was a tribute to her life, her beliefs, her politics. So for you to argue that this was "Bush-bashing" misses the entire point. I don't seem to recall Bush being mentioned by name. Coretta Scott King was an outspoken opponent of the war and many of the policies of the Bush Administration. It would have been a disgrace not to recognize the political stands that Coretta Scott so courageously took.

Second, you don't think Bush going to the funeral was political? Pleeeassse! This was just a photo-op for Bush. Bush/Cheney stood against almost everything that Coretta Scott King fought for. Bush's VP/Cheney was one of the few senators to vote against a federal holiday for MLK.

If the family and supporters of Coretta Scott King were turned off by the so called "politics" why was there a half-minute standing ovation?

Personally, I find it disgraceful that the Republicans are trying to spinthis tribute to a great woman to their political gain.
 

Calm2Chaos

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
3,967
Reaction score
7
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
disneydude said:
Two Replies:

First, what you Republicans fail to understand in your argument is that Coretta King's life was political. This was a tribute to her life, her beliefs, her politics. So for you to argue that this was "Bush-bashing" misses the entire point. I don't seem to recall Bush being mentioned by name. Coretta Scott King was an outspoken opponent of the war and many of the policies of the Bush Administration. It would have been a disgrace not to recognize the political stands that Coretta Scott so courageously took.

Second, you don't think Bush going to the funeral was political? Pleeeassse! This was just a photo-op for Bush. Bush/Cheney stood against almost everything that Coretta Scott King fought for. Bush's VP/Cheney was one of the few senators to vote against a federal holiday for MLK.

If the family and supporters of Coretta Scott King were turned off by the so called "politics" why was there a half-minute standing ovation?

Personally, I find it disgraceful that the Republicans are trying to spinthis tribute to a great woman to their political gain.
They musta done a good job.. I don't get off for MLK day...LOL
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
disneydude said:
Two Replies:

First, what you Republicans fail to understand in your argument is that Coretta King's life was political. This was a tribute to her life, her beliefs, her politics. So for you to argue that this was "Bush-bashing" misses the entire point. I don't seem to recall Bush being mentioned by name. Coretta Scott King was an outspoken opponent of the war and many of the policies of the Bush Administration. It would have been a disgrace not to recognize the political stands that Coretta Scott so courageously took.

Second, you don't think Bush going to the funeral was political? Pleeeassse! This was just a photo-op for Bush. Bush/Cheney stood against almost everything that Coretta Scott King fought for. Bush's VP/Cheney was one of the few senators to vote against a federal holiday for MLK.

If the family and supporters of Coretta Scott King were turned off by the so called "politics" why was there a half-minute standing ovation?

Personally, I find it disgraceful that the Republicans are trying to spinthis tribute to a great woman to their political gain.
This was a church, isnt using it for " partisan " political reasons a violation of its tax exempt status ?
PresidentBush was there as President of the United States,not as a Republican. Insulting him was an insult to all of us.
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
disneydude said:
Two Replies:

First, what you Republicans fail to understand in your argument is that Coretta King's life was political. This was a tribute to her life, her beliefs, her politics. So for you to argue that this was "Bush-bashing" misses the entire point. I don't seem to recall Bush being mentioned by name. Coretta Scott King was an outspoken opponent of the war and many of the policies of the Bush Administration. It would have been a disgrace not to recognize the political stands that Coretta Scott so courageously took.

Second, you don't think Bush going to the funeral was political? Pleeeassse! This was just a photo-op for Bush. Bush/Cheney stood against almost everything that Coretta Scott King fought for. Bush's VP/Cheney was one of the few senators to vote against a federal holiday for MLK.

If the family and supporters of Coretta Scott King were turned off by the so called "politics" why was there a half-minute standing ovation?

Personally, I find it disgraceful that the Republicans are trying to spinthis tribute to a great woman to their
political gain.
The MLK holiday was imposed by the federal govt. It wasn't created bcause of any nationwide groundswell for it.Some states had to be coerced into creating it.
Even today many Americans consider it a black holiday only.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
JOHNYJ said:
The MLK holiday was imposed by the federal govt. It wasn't created bcause of any nationwide groundswell for it.Some states had to be coerced into creating it.
Even today many Americans consider it a black holiday only.
I think MLK was a great American and played a huge part in improving race relations in this country.....That said I was against having a national holiday for him.............
 

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
This was clearly a Bush Bash Rally. Though, I thought it was funny that a white conservative took more notice of a black woman than the black democrats did. (And conservatives are supposedly racist, HA!).

Funerals are for paying respects to the dead and not to bashing a political figure.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
"time and a place for everything"

all they had to do was pay homage to a woman
Bush showed how much class he has.
Clinton, surprisingly, was prudent

the rest were oppurtunistic scum
Carter proving once again what a LOOOOOOOOOOOOSER he is
there are 364 days this year where everything said would have been appropriate. This was not the occasion
 

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Navy Pride said:
I think MLK was a great American and played a huge part in improving race relations in this country.....That said I was against having a national holiday for him.............
You racist honkey, cracker a$$, red neck! LOL
 
Top Bottom