• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

funding for religious schools

The supremes were correct.

It's taxpayer money, and many taxpayers are religious.

The supremes were correct.

It's taxpayer money, and many taxpayers are religious.
Many taxpayers are religious, many are not. I am against any money going to them in the countries where I pay taxes, Sweden and Britain. Religious schools are divisive and have badly damaged Northern Ireland - to give but one example. I would like them all closed.

What's wrong about funding Muslim schools?

We are constantly told that diversity is good for this nation.

So long as Muslims do not violate any laws, then shouldn't they be treated equally?

If Catholic schools can get government subsidies, Muslim schools should, too.

In theory, maybe it's better for all children to attend public schools or private non-religious schools (I attended a boys' military school), but some parents want their children to learn Catholic or Muslim doctrine, so I guess that they have a right to do so.

Many taxpayers are religious, many are not. I am against any money going to them in the countries where I pay taxes, Sweden and Britain. Religious schools are divisive and have badly damaged Northern Ireland - to give but one example. I would like them all closed.

Get government out of education, everyone pays for their own shit, and the entire problem goes away.

In theory, maybe it's better for all children to attend public schools or private non-religious schools (I attended a boys' military school), but some parents want their children to learn Catholic or Muslim doctrine, so I guess that they have a right to do so.

Of course they do, and if leftists don't want government funding religious schools, then parents who choose to send their kids to a religious school should have the option to opt out of the government-run school system entirely - which includes them paying no taxes towards government-run schools.

What's wrong about funding Muslim schools?

We are constantly told that diversity is good for this nation.

So long as Muslims do not violate any laws, then shouldn't they be treated equally?

Islam is doctrinaire, intolerant, anti-women and anti-democracy. Children should be protect from indoctrination by this unjust and cruel legal system and political program posing as a 'religion'.

Perhaps you should read the opinion. A student or school can't simply say "gimmie money."
Do you really think there isn't a republican politician in texas that isn't composing legislation to let catholic schools do just that in some way?

Do you really think there isn't a republican politician in texas that isn't composing legislation to let catholic schools do just that in some way?
They have been for decades. It hasn't happened.

Now the supreme court says it's ok. It'll happen within the year.
We'll see. Abbott supports them. But the Teachers' Union and the Dems in their pockets have historically blocked them.

What difference do you imagine that makes?
Oh I don’t know…the fact the case you are referencing involved taxpayer dollars to families with kids K-12 who lived in rural areas without any public schools so they may pay obtain an education while living in the sticks, including from private educational institutions, except for religious educational institutions and the no discrimination against religious principle.

Apparently you are in dire need of reading the opinion. Ostensibly, you also comment about a decision while knowing little to nothing about it. Wise.

Yes, that is plausible, given the specific facts of the case which do not mirror the situation presently in Texas.

Islam is doctrinaire, intolerant, anti-women and anti-democracy. Children should be protect from indoctrination by this unjust and cruel legal system and political program posing as a 'religion'.
But if you come to the States, expressing such opinions publicly will get you in BIG trouble.

Can't wait until some muslim school in Texas sues for funding.

View attachment 67398081
This ruling comes from a controversy in Maine, which has a long history. Many remote school districts in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont do not have a high school. Historically, (we're talking early 1800s) , most high schools in New England were private schools. Many had residency facilities for out of district pupils. Most of these high schools were later designated public schools but retained a private board of directors and their often very large endowments. Most are still called academies and some still offer residences. It's never been clear whether these schools are technically public schools or technically private ones.

These three states still solve the problem of districts without a high school by allowing parents to choose a high school and have the state pay tuition to that school. It'a called tuitioning. At some point Mainers who paid tuition to religious schools said, "Hey we want to tuition our kids" and so the state established tuitioning for them also. There was considerable grumbling from the 1st Amendment crowd and eventually religious schools tuitioning was ended sometime in the late 1990. However tuitioning at non-religious private schools was continued.

Move up to 2021 and a Supreme Court with 4 conservative Catholics and one used to be Catholic now conservative Episcopalian and parents of children attending religious schools again said "Hey, here's an opportunity to get tuition for religious schools" and the Supreme Court agreed that if Maine tuitions to private non religious schools it is discrimination against religion to not tuition to religious schools.

I don't know if this ruling applies only to Maine, only to states that tuition to private schools or to every state with religious schools

Last edited:
Have you visited some of America's fundamentalist church schools? They are intolerant, anti-woman, anti-democracy, anti-science, and pro-theocracy.

Back
Top Bottom