• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fun facts about the Brain

sbrettt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This thread is devoted to fun facts about the human brain. Apparently when you move your eyes you're blind. Your brain temporarily shuts down visual info to eliminate the motion blur from you moving your eyes. Can you imagine if it didn't? Also, our brains are very talented at adapting to unexpected changes. There was an experiment where a scientist was his own guinea pig. I can't think of his name, and I would appreciate it if someone linked me the details if you happened to know who the guy was. He wore a monocle that caused visual info to enter his brain upside down. So when he stretched his arm forward it came from the top of his vision. After just a week, I think (might have been longer or less long), his brain had rewired itself to take in visual info upside down so that the visual info coming through the monocle ended up being interpreted right side up so he could see normally again. After he removed the monocle he saw things upside down! His brain had to re-rewire itself to normality from the experiment. Pretty incredible if you ask me. Post some fun facts about our brains!

You can ALWAYS see your nose.

Your brain just "filters" it out.

Well this is a great thread.

I find cognitive dissonance interesting. If one were to state out laud a statement that is contrary to their real positions then due to the discomfort feeling of dissonance either the position or the statement must break lose. For the most part, either one changes their initial position to the stated one, or the statement is changed back to the original position.

I say for the most part because some politicians may have grown immune from the jungle of statements and positions that they may be going through. They may freaking tickle at what use to be the discomfort of dissonance now!

This thread is devoted to fun facts about the human brain. Apparently when you move your eyes you're blind. Your brain temporarily shuts down visual info to eliminate the motion blur from you moving your eyes. Can you imagine if it didn't? Also, our brains are very talented at adapting to unexpected changes. There was an experiment where a scientist was his own guinea pig. I can't think of his name, and I would appreciate it if someone linked me the details if you happened to know who the guy was. He wore a monocle that caused visual info to enter his brain upside down. So when he stretched his arm forward it came from the top of his vision. After just a week, I think (might have been longer or less long), his brain had rewired itself to take in visual info upside down so that the visual info coming through the monocle ended up being interpreted right side up so he could see normally again. After he removed the monocle he saw things upside down! His brain had to re-rewire itself to normality from the experiment. Pretty incredible if you ask me. Post some fun facts about our brains!

A nice post, but a great avatar!

Apparently when you move your eyes you're blind. Your brain temporarily shuts down visual info to eliminate the motion blur from you moving your eyes. Can you imagine if it didn't?

Thus the "look away" feature.

Back
Top Bottom