• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fun fact 2021 saw the fewest hurricane-strength tropical cyclones observed globally since at least 1980

KLATTU

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Roger Pielke Jr.

@RogerPielkeJr

Fun fact 2021 saw the fewest hurricane-strength tropical cyclones observed globally since at least 1980 (and 2nd fewest Category 3+) Source:
@CSUAtmosSci
Keep our fingers crossed, I am hoping for a calm season for 2022.
Not based on anything scientific, just over 5 decades of living near the gulf coast,
but I think it helps to get some tropical storms early in the season, even a small storm cools the water
beneath it by several degrees, enough to weaken later storms.

Roger Pielke Jr.

@RogerPielkeJr

Fun fact 2021 saw the fewest hurricane-strength tropical cyclones observed globally since at least 1980 (and 2nd fewest Category 3+) Source:
@CSUAtmosSci
Hey, that's great news. We could use a few seasons without billion$ in damages.
Here's some related educational background.

Part 1
Part 2

I'm looking forward to the 3rd and final chapter. It should be a winner.

Part 1
Part 2

The irony will be when Exxon, or Shell, Or BP, will start producing carbon neutral fuels, and cut emissions globally by 1/3,
all while making a profit.
And yes, an energy storage medium capable of soaking up all the peaks and troughs from Wind and Solar will be a winner,
and a game changer moving us towards a sustainable energy future.

Reactions: PoS

Part 1
Part 2

Ooooh goody. Some more biased reporting from lw pbs.!!

Ooooh goody. Some more biased reporting from lw pbs.!!
Biased reporting !!?? 🤣😂🤣😂

Facts are facts. They interview the actual people responsible for deliberately generating a false narrative on global warming - people on the payroll of Exxon, and the American Petroleum institute. In other words, you get to see and hear, right from the horses mouths, the deliberate misinformation and misleading propaganda flooding the public airwaves, and see first hand how the lobbyists bought our elected representatives so they would crush vital legislation, all for the profit of big oil, and all at the expense of human life on the planet.

But I would never actually expect you to sit and listen to the people who made a fossil fool out of you. That would be too much to expect of any conservative.

🤣 😂🤣

Did we ever figure out who to blame the dustbowl of 1934 on?

Facts are facts. They interview the actual people responsible for deliberately generating a false narrative on global warming - people on the payroll of Exxon, and the American Petroleum institute. In other words, you get to see and hear, right from the horses mouths, the deliberate misinformation and misleading propaganda flooding the public airwaves, and see first hand how the lobbyists bought our elected representatives so they would crush vital legislation, all for the profit of big oil, and all at the expense of human life on the planet.

But I would never actually expect you to sit and listen to the people who made a fossil fool out of you. That would be too much to expect of any conservative.

🤣 😂🤣
how's that solar roof coming along?
Electric car?

🤣 😂🤣
That's why we expect you to give us a time index for something relevant.

Until then, it's just more leftist propaganda.

how's that solar roof coming along?
Which one? Solar is has been the fastest growing industry over the past decade, growing 5 times faster than overall job growth rate in the US economy.
Electric car?
Even better. No car since 2010. But since you asked, another spectacular industry growing in leaps and bounds, with new models and new manufacturers appearing faster than I can keep up.

Which one? Solar is has been the fastest growing industry over the past decade, growing 5 times faster than overall job growth rate in the US economy.

Even better. No car since 2010. But since you asked, another spectacular industry growing in leaps and bounds, with new models and new manufacturers appearing faster than I can keep up.
You sound like an advertising agent.

That's why we expect you to give us a time index for something relevant.
Why? It's a ridiculous expectation, probably spawned from your fossil fuel brainwashing.
Until then, it's just more leftist propaganda.
There's nothing leftist about it . . . . . . unless you are relegating "the right" to the ranks of uninformed idiocy ~ a bold move for someone who defines themselves as Libertarian - Right.
🤷‍♂️

Exteme weather as well as extreme temperatures are overall getting more common because of climate change caused by human emission of C02 and other greenhouse gases.

Why? It's a ridiculous expectation, probably spawned from your fossil fuel brainwashing.

There's nothing leftist about it . . . . . . unless you are relegating "the right" to the ranks of uninformed idiocy ~ a bold move for someone who defines themselves as Libertarian - Right.
🤷‍♂️
Believe it or not, I watched the first episode. I see nothing damning about it. I see the push by the people being targeted as nothing more than wanting the whole facts shown, rather than the cherry picked ideas of the AGW crowd.

Please, by all means, prove me wrong. Give me a quote and time index. I'm on part 2 now.

Calkling me brainwashed shows the level of your debate skills as next to none, if you are incapable of engaging me with reality and facts. Your made up insults have no merit.

Exteme weather as well as extreme temperatures are overall getting more common because of climate change caused by human emission of C02 and other greenhouse gases.

If you say so.

Where is the proof?

Believe it or not, I watched the first episode. I see nothing damning about it. I see the push by the people being targeted as nothing more than wanting the whole facts shown, rather than the cherry picked ideas of the AGW crowd.

Please, by all means, prove me wrong. Give me a quote and time index. I'm on part 2 now.
If you actually did watch the first part, you'd know that all the earliest studies conducted by the fossil fuel industry itself attested to the fact that they were certain burning fossil fuels was contributing to global warming. How did you miss that? Or do you just hear things that confirm your bias? More than 30 years ago, the fossil fuel industry WAS the AGW CROWD!! May I suggest you go back and watch it again? Perhaps until you get it?
Calkling me brainwashed shows the level of your debate skills as next to none, if you are incapable of engaging me with reality and facts. Your made up insults have no merit.
Hey - if you've got a different explanation than brainwashed for how or why you're still a denier in the face of the facts, then I'd be happy to concede the distinction. What's your excuse?

If you actually did watch the first part, you'd know that all the earliest studies conducted by the fossil fuel industry itself attested to the fact that they were certain burning fossil fuels was contributing to global warming. How did you miss that? Or do you just hear things that confirm your bias? More than 30 years ago, the fossil fuel industry WAS the AGW CROWD!! May I suggest you go back and watch it again? Perhaps until you get it?
They didn't say anything about catastrophes, and uncertainty was still high.
Hey - if you've got a different explanation than brainwashed for how or why you're still a denier in the face of the facts, then I'd be happy to concede the distinction. What's your excuse?
What's your excuse?

You obviously believe the narrative, without proper evidence. Didn't you notice how some statements are fit in clipped and not knowing the context they were said in?

You blindly follow what others say. You are denying reality.

Nothing in either part showed proper evidence Exxon ignored any of the facts. At one point, it points out they claimed they couldn't remain competitive if they moved away from fossil fuels.

My God man. Making out the opposition to have vile motives? I saw nothing of the kind. they were worried about soending money on something that might produce no results, because the science is still not acceptable.

You seem to have twisted two different concepts together.
One is that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and CO2 additions will cause some warming,
Almost everyone agree with this.
The second is because the first part is correct, So are all the catastrophic predictions about AGW.
The problem with convoluting the two ideas, is that the catastrophic predictions are contingent
on the climate having a high sensitivity to added CO2, and that is simply not showing up in any of the empirical evidence.

The irony will be when Exxon, or Shell, Or BP, will start producing carbon neutral fuels, and cut emissions globally by 1/3,
all while making a profit.
And yes, an energy storage medium capable of soaking up all the peaks and troughs from Wind and Solar will be a winner,
and a game changer moving us towards a sustainable energy future.
That will never happen. Synfuels are far to energy inefficient to be practical not to mention how inefficient internal combustion engines are. They waste 75% of their energy producing heat. We cannot afford to waste like that if we truly want to wean ourselves off fossil energy.. You could power 3 or 4 electric cars with the energy from just one synfuel vehicle. Solar power will be used to split water and produce hydrogen for fuel cells in electric trucks.

That will never happen. Synfuels are far to energy inefficient to be practical not to mention how inefficient internal combustion engines are. They waste 75% of their energy producing heat. We cannot afford to waste like that.
What you are not taking into account is that the energy they will be using would be lost at 100%
and possible even cause damage to the grid, if not used.
As we build out solar and wind, (mostly solar) there will be periods where the surplus is more than the system can handle.
This has already happened in California,
Prognosis negative: How California is dealing with below-zero power market prices
A rainy winter and growing solar have CAISO prices going negative and renewable energy going to waste — what should policymakers do?
Having the ability to store the energy that would be lost as heat in the grid, is very important,
and batteries are not up to the task for the volume and duration of storage needed.
Thankfully Nature has evolved a very high density energy storage medium, hydrocarbons.
Consider a future where surplus solar electricity is stored as natural gas, to be used in a combined cycle power plant
when the sun is not shinning. Or homeowners are given fuel credits for their surplus electricity,
and the fuel is carbon neutral. Put up extra panels, and they can supply fuel for your car!

What you are not taking into account is that the energy they will be using would be lost at 100%
and possible even cause damage to the grid, if not used.
As we build out solar and wind, (mostly solar) there will be periods where the surplus is more than the system can handle.
This has already happened in California,
Prognosis negative: How California is dealing with below-zero power market prices

Having the ability to store the energy that would be lost as heat in the grid, is very important,
and batteries are not up to the task for the volume and duration of storage needed.
Thankfully Nature has evolved a very high density energy storage medium, hydrocarbons.
Consider a future where surplus solar electricity is stored as natural gas, to be used in a combined cycle power plant
when the sun is not shinning. Or homeowners are given fuel credits for their surplus electricity,
and the fuel is carbon neutral. Put up extra panels, and they can supply fuel for your car!
Storing energy as hydrogen gas is far more efficient than converting into gasoline. We won't even need gasoline at all very soon. There is a place for methanol but it is a small piece of the puzzle. We cannot keep using I/C engines for transportation they are far too inefficient.

sectorcoupling-se-ondark.png

https://www.siemens-energy.com/glob...odV3Nu95jyGYu6d-TqFlmM0BYbbHqysRoCEQIQAvD_BwE

Storing energy as hydrogen gas is far more efficient than converting into gasoline. We won't even need gasoline at all very soon. There is a place for methanol but it is a small piece of the puzzle. We cannot keep using I/C engines for transportation they are far too inefficient.

sectorcoupling-se-ondark.png

https://www.siemens-energy.com/glob...odV3Nu95jyGYu6d-TqFlmM0BYbbHqysRoCEQIQAvD_BwE
Have we suddenly fixed the storage and manufacturing problems for hydrogen?

I must have blinked, because we still seem to be a long way for that.

Back
Top Bottom