• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fully vaccinated, but got covid anyway

Your first statement is incorrect. 41% of deaths from covid are vaccinated people. Your claim that 41% of vaccinated people have died is stupid and dishonest.

And yes, I am explaining it based on who is and isn't vaccinated. If the vaccine did nothing, the 90% of covid deaths would be from vaccinated people. Facts don't support your conspiracy nuttery so you just lie.
41% of the deaths from the study.

I recommend that you get your boosters if they make you feel all safe and comfy while the scientists who actually know something are still going loggerheads over the effectiveness.

There are plenty of studies to go along with my argument that too many boosters are actually weakening many people's immune systems.

I think that recognizing that it would be hard for a vaccine to work better than natural infection, especially to the point where it completely prevented when previous infection of the same variant doesn't even keep you 100% safe from reinfection.

Neither vaccination nor natural immunity will keep you 100% safe from re-infection. Both rely on the immune system "recognizing" spike proteins and attacking the virus with that protein, and it seems the spike proteins are the most prone to evolve. A new spike protein will be instantly rewarded with new bodies that are less prepared to fight the virus ... while being more or less harmful to the host does not give such an evolutionary "reward"

It probably varies from person to person, depending on how good their immune system is against viruses in general. We all know people who catch a cold at the drop of a hankie, and other people who fight off colds with barely any symptoms.

It may be just my privilege talking, since I've had full vaccination and a booster, and never had covid. But why would anyone refuse the added protection of a vaccine, whether or not they believe they have natural immunity? Both is better than just one ... surely?

Bad enough to require hospitalization.

Now my uncle (who is also fully vaccinated) has covid. He has severe coughing and went to a place where he could get an IV treatment to avoid going to urgent care.

Sounds sucky.

I am feeling better now, but my appetite has not returned yet and I still don't want to think about swimming or watching football. Covid messes with the mind too, not just your respiratory and digestive systems.

Try to gather the last few brain cells together on this one:

What does it tell you if 10% of San diegans arent vaccinated, yet they make up 59% of the deaths?

Think real hard, see if you can figure it out.
Math is hard for some people

It happened to me and my mom the same week. A man who sat one row in front of us on the Canadian Rockies Tauck tour bus said later he tested positive, so Mom thinks she got it from him. We will never know exactly, of course, because the virus could have been in anyone's nose. After the trip, Mom had constant nasal discharge, body aches, fatigue, and loss of appetite for days. While she got slightly better, I got slightly worse. Now, we both have that "sick but not sick" feeling, where only sleep and our favorite beverages sound like good ideas. She keeps telling me I do not have a severe case and hers is worse than mine, but it seems to be lasting much longer in my body. Something I keep wondering about is if our symptom differences could be age-related.

Something else it makes me think about now is the fact I am still too young for the next booster shot. The FDA needs to speed this up.
Let me explain why that doesn't really matter. Corona viruses mutate constantly. Most of mutations disappear. Occasionally one that helps the survival of the virus appears and we have a new strain. We've had several successful strains. Each one has been more contagious, more resistant to vaccines and but less harmful. These are the things that help a virus spread. Killing its hosts reduces spread. We are using vaccines designed for the original strain of the virus and they worked well. Over time they have become less and less effective.

Sorry to hear you and your mother contracted the virus but both of you have mild cases compared to the original cases and both of you will get past it. If you want a booster, go get one. If you don't it probably is not much of a big deal. Covid is now endemic like flu and common colds. We will have it forever and it will become less harmful over time because it will follow the precepts of natural selection. Best of luck to you.

I have Covid and I’m pretty sick. Quite surprised actually at the severity of the symptoms. Got 2 shots of Pfizer last year and a Moderna booster in January. I’m in my early 40s, don’t smoke, I exercise regularly and eat healthily. Have been sick for a week. Tried to work today but had to stop after a couple of hours because I felt so dizzy. Really sucks.

I have covid and I’m pretty sick. Quite surprised actually at the severity of the symptoms. Got 2 shots of Pfizer last year and a Moderna booster in January. I’m in my early 40s, don’t smoke, I exercise regularly and eat healthily. Have been sick for a week. Tried to work today but had to stop after a couple of hours because I felt so dizzy. Really sucks.

Viruses do not discriminate. Remember they are basically nothing but a membrane and one DNA strand.

I am 45 and never smoked in my life. This happened to me and my mom during a busy vacation, not when we were sitting around doing nothing.

You might want to check that, before drawing lengthy conclusions from it.
I have made no lengthy conclusions. One of the problems on this or any thread about medical issues is dealing with people who find anything with more than one verb in a sentence difficult to grasp.
41% of vaccinated and fully boosted are still dying.

You can't explain it so you you revert to who is and who isn't vaccinated.

Great work.

There is nothing to explain. 41% of vaccinated people did not die because of Covid 19 or because of the vaccine.

People die every day. You need an explanation for that go look at their autopsy or coroner's report or the reasons listed for their death. Many people die with diseases or conditions that would have killed them whether they had Covid 19 or not. Because they had Covid 19 it is reported when they die they had Covid 19. It does not mean they died from Covid 19 or the vaccine for it. Sometimes it may mean Covid 19 complicated pre-existing conditions but Covid 19 by itself usually does not kill. However if it is added to someone with diabetes, cancer, the many auto immune disorders like Lupus, MS, MD, ALS, Asthma, or other serious illnesses it can exasperate and hasten complications from these illnesses that may kill them.

This is why we take vaccines. It cuts down on the length of time we have it and could spread it to such vulnerable people and lessens the systems so we do not take up valuable hospital space needed for such people. Its basic consideration for those who need hospital and medical care for chronic and terminal illnesses.

Now my uncle (who is also fully vaccinated) has covid. He has severe coughing and went to a place where he could get an IV treatment to avoid going to urgent care.

Best of luck to him!

I am feeling better now, but my appetite has not returned yet and I still don't want to think about swimming or watching football. Covid messes with the mind too, not just your respiratory and digestive systems.

People have been saying that a lot, but how bad do they consider "seriously sick" now?

One day I had a headache and threw up. Another I had abdominal pain and diarrhea. Often I had a stuffy nose off and on, but I never had nasal discharge. Eve3ry day I Have fatigue and almost no appetite.
Hospitalized and needing a ventilator....or dying. Hope you're feeling better.

It happened to me and my mom the same week. A man who sat one row in front of us on the Canadian Rockies Tauck tour bus said later he tested positive, so Mom thinks she got it from him. We will never know exactly, of course, because the virus could have been in anyone's nose. After the trip, Mom had constant nasal discharge, body aches, fatigue, and loss of appetite for days. While she got slightly better, I got slightly worse. Now, we both have that "sick but not sick" feeling, where only sleep and our favorite beverages sound like good ideas. She keeps telling me I do not have a severe case and hers is worse than mine, but it seems to be lasting much longer in my body. Something I keep wondering about is if our symptom differences could be age-related.

Something else it makes me think about now is the fact I am still too young for the next booster shot. The FDA needs to speed this up.
NEWS FLASH!!!!!
The vaccine is actually not a vaccine. It will not keep you from getting Covid. Never has, never will. It's a theuraputic, like many others in the medical field. Despite Joe Biden getting close to the mike and whispering, "if you get the vaccine you will not get Covid", it will not keep you from getting it. Nor will masking, nor will social distancing, nor will shutting down millions of businesses, schools and social gatherings. It may or may not reduce the severity of your illness if you do contract Covid.
You may get Covid more than once even if you have the shot, and all the boosters.
Democrats used fear to win an election once, so lets see if it will work again. Every time Biden screws up a new strain of Covid pops up.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!
The vaccine is actually not a vaccine. It will not keep you from getting Covid. Never has, never will. It's a theuraputic, like many others in the medical field. Despite Joe Biden getting close to the mike and whispering, "if you get the vaccine you will not get Covid", it will not keep you from getting it. Nor will masking, nor will social distancing, nor will shutting down millions of businesses, schools and social gatherings. It may or may not reduce the severity of your illness if you do contract Covid.
You may get Covid more than once even if you have the shot, and all the boosters.
Democrats used fear to win an election once, so lets see if it will work again. Every time Biden screws up a new strain of Covid pops up.
All vaccines work that way. They give you a chance to fight a less dangerous form of the virus so your immune system can learn to fight it and will have a headstart when it encounters the real one.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and haven't spent even one day of your life studying viruses and vaccines yet you present yourself as an expert.

All vaccines work that way. They give you a chance to fight a less dangerous form of the virus so your immune system can learn to fight it and will have a headstart when it encounters the real one.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and haven't spent even one day of your life studying viruses and vaccines yet you present yourself as an expert.

He also obviously cares more about worshiping Trump the Terrorist and hating Democrats than the physical health of his own fellow posters on DP. That is very sad.

Neither vaccination nor natural immunity will keep you 100% safe from re-infection. Both rely on the immune system "recognizing" spike proteins and attacking the virus with that protein, and it seems the spike proteins are the most prone to evolve. A new spike protein will be instantly rewarded with new bodies that are less prepared to fight the virus ... while being more or less harmful to the host does not give such an evolutionary "reward"

It probably varies from person to person, depending on how good their immune system is against viruses in general. We all know people who catch a cold at the drop of a hankie, and other people who fight off colds with barely any symptoms.

It may be just my privilege talking, since I've had full vaccination and a booster, and never had covid. But why would anyone refuse the added protection of a vaccine, whether or not they believe they have natural immunity? Both is better than just one ... surely?
People are stubborn. My mother uses the excuse "if its my time to go, its my time to go". I've heard others refuse from a reaction to the vaccine that they considered too much. One person I know just doesn't want to be told what to do but also has issues just going to the doctor for preventative care, assessments. A lot of people though really believe the BS, the conspiracy theories.

To be clear, I'm vaxxed and boosted, as are both my sons (teenagers).

Why are the numbers creeping up for the vaccinated and boosted?

Surely.......you do know.
Do you?

There have been a total of 88 deaths in that timeframe you mention. What was the health of the vaccinated and boosted before they got Covid compared to those who weren't vaccinated an boosted? Did they face the same risk based on things other than vaccination status? What is the average age of each group? This matters to such assessments.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!
The vaccine is a vaccine. No vaccine works better than the actual virus. Like all vaccines, it depends on many factors as to whether it will protect you and well it will protect you from getting the virus. But vaccines aren't just about preventing you from getting a virus. They are also about reducing severity of symptoms, reducing risk of death from the virus infection.

If you disagree, tell us exactly what makes a vaccine a vaccine, no exceptions.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Not all. The two most popular covid vaccines have used messenger RNA technology. RNA is genetically engineered to send instructions for the body to create S proteins that match those of the virus. The muscles then develop antibodies based on this protein and the antibodies deal with the virus. There is not a bit of virus in these vaccines whether live or dead or strong or weak. There is only the engineered RNA. This is a new technology and, apparently, a successful one. There are couple of traditional vaccines available for covid as well but they haven't proven to be as effective.

Your first statement is incorrect. 41% of deaths from covid are vaccinated people. Your claim that 41% of vaccinated people have died is stupid and dishonest.

And yes, I am explaining it based on who is and isn't vaccinated. If the vaccine did nothing, the 90% of covid deaths would be from vaccinated people. Facts don't support your conspiracy nuttery so you just lie.
Couldn't you have said his claim incorrect? How did you expect better results by being rude?

Get well soon.

As to getting it even though vaxxed it's a good bet everyone will get it eventually.

Not all. The two most popular covid vaccines have used messenger RNA technology. RNA is genetically engineered to send instructions for the body to create S proteins that match those of the virus. The muscles then develop antibodies based on this protein and the antibodies deal with the virus. There is not a bit of virus in these vaccines whether live or dead or strong or weak. There is only the engineered RNA. This is a new technology and, apparently, a successful one. There are couple of traditional vaccines available for covid as well but they haven't proven to be as effective.
I know how the mRNA vaccine works, and the end result is your own body creates covid similar proteins without the spikes, so your body can learn to fight them. You've added nothing to the conversation other than confirming what I said.

The idiot I was replying to claimed vaccines are supposed to make it impossible to get that virus, which is a lie. Where's your nitpicking for him?
Couldn't you have said his claim incorrect? How did you expect better results by being rude?
He's a Trumpist anti-vaxxer with no intention of being honest and no interest in facts. He's actively making up lies intentionally because he knows his position is incorrect and idiotic. So, no.

I know how the mRNA vaccine works, and the end result is your own body creates covid similar proteins without the spikes, so your body can learn to fight them. You've added nothing to the conversation other than confirming what I said.
Your words were "all viruses work that way." They do not and I provided some additional information. There was no attack in what I wrote.
The idiot I was replying to claimed vaccines are supposed to make it impossible to get that virus, which is a lie. Where's your nitpicking for him?
It gets down to the definition of an infection. No vaccine prevents a virus from entering the body and encountering cells to which they can attach. That is a mechanical process. The vaccines can begin antibody production before any virus arrives so the vaccinated person will do a better job suppressing viral reproduction. If it works as intended, the vaccinated person will become infected but have minor or no symptoms. Many people define that as meaning the vaccine prevented infection. Perhaps it is more accurate to say the vaccine made the viral infection not matter. You can nitpick him yourself by sending him a copy of this paragraph.
He's a Trumpist anti-vaxxer with no intention of being honest and no interest in facts. He's actively making up lies intentionally because he knows his position is incorrect and idiotic. So, no.
I understand that people make everything political on this forum. Things become partisan and rude. The two of you were arguing definitions neither of which is partisan or political. Viral infections work as they do regardless of politics or semantic arguments. I simply try to provide a simplistic explanation of how it works. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom