• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Full Metal Jacket: Good Marine Recruitment?

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If anyone has ever seen Full Metal Jacket, or read the absolutely magnificent book by Gustav Hasford called the Short Timers, you know that it is essentially an anti-war movie that shows the horrors of vietnam inflicted on this journalist in vietnam. However, I've heard some reports that its actually one of the best tools of recrutiment for the marines. In fact, someone said that one marine recruitment station actually had a poster of it (Born 2 Kill and the Peace sign on it) by their desk. Can you say weird or can you say weird?

correct me if im wrong, but Kubrick said himself that it wasnt an anti-war movie. i think its a film that shows the dehumanizing characteristics of war. first with basic training and how all these different people are broken down and rebuilt into, essentially, into the same person, a soilder. once in Vietnam they have to fight a complicated war that they dont fully understand but do so regardless because they're Marines. just like Private Joker says, it shows the duality of man.

why its a recruiting tool, i have no idea. probably because it shows the might of the US marines.

correct me if im wrong, but Kubrick said himself that it wasnt an anti-war movie. i think its a film that shows the dehumanizing characteristics of war. first with basic training and how all these different people are broken down and rebuilt into, essentially, the same person, a soilder. once in Vietnam they have to fight a complicated war that they dont fully understand but do so regardless because they're Marines. just like Private Joker says, it shows the duality of man.

yep, the reason its such a good movie is that it portrays the soldier's psyche for what it is, whether you are anti-war or not.

Your correct Fireman, Anti War movie is the wrong word to use. But I still think that the point is the same. How the hell does it get so many recruits?

FinnMacCool said:
Your correct Fireman, Anti War movie is the wrong word to use. But I still think that the point is the same. How the hell does it get so many recruits?

its not even patriotic really. FMJ is an excellent movie but strange recruiting tool. its cliche, but i think that it movie shows the animal in all of us and fires a lot of young guys up to do the same thing. it might be different for some people, but watching that movie makes me want to be there fighting right along side them.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."

Back
Top Bottom