• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Frustration at work

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have a high stress job. A ton of weird ass hours, a lot of people I supervise and little control over things I think I should have more control over.

Having said that, have you ever felt totally and utterly trapped in a job? A job that you would actually love, if only the big whigs would pay attention and use a little common business sense in running it?

Fortunately, I have a wonderful man that listened to me vent my spleen earlier tonight about my frustrations.

I've been applying and sending my resume out to various employers. Nothing so far.

How many people here are in the same boat? A frustrating and stressful job is better than no job, but I've literally tied a knot in the end of the rope I'm clinging to for dear life.

I have a high stress job. A ton of weird ass hours, a lot of people I supervise and little control over things I think I should have more control over.

Having said that, have you ever felt totally and utterly trapped in a job? A job that you would actually love, if only the big whigs would pay attention and use a little common business sense in running it?

Fortunately, I have a wonderful man that listened to me vent my spleen earlier tonight about my frustrations.

I've been applying and sending my resume out to various employers. Nothing so far.

How many people here are in the same boat? A frustrating and stressful job is better than no job, but I've literally tied a knot in the end of the rope I'm clinging to for dear life.

My friend sold pot, and other things in high school. He said that can be stressful at times. Probably not on the level you're experiencing though.

if only the big whigs would pay attention

Hmmm, ... pay attention?? maybe they're distracted. Have they seen your DP avatars? Your overwhelming presence addles their brains!

Keep Smilin'

Thom Paine

Last edited:

I walked out of a situation like that 12 years ago. Best decision I ever made.....except that I'm now self-employed which is equally stressful but kind of harder to walk away from:lamo

My friend sold pot, and other things in high school. He said that can be stressful at times. Probably not on the level you're experiencing though.

What?! :lol:

I had a high stress Job on Michigan Ave. In Chicago years ago.. I loved it but, unfortunately, was trying to get away from my first husband, so was pretty stressed out.. I asked them for a short leave of absence and they said no--that no one else could do my job---sooooo I quit and started driving a Yellow cab.. I was broke most of the time, but had the best time.......:lol:

I walked out of a situation like that 12 years ago. Best decision I ever made.....except that I'm now self-employed which is equally stressful but kind of harder to walk away from:lamo

But is the freedom of answering only to yourself worth it?

That's what I want to do, break away from the corporate work and get on my own, but it's scary to take a jump like.

Oof - tell me about it.

:ranton:
I'm an estimator
I work 10-12 hrs / day, non-stop
Given 10% of what I bid I win, 90% of what I do is thrown in the trash
And everything I do is, by definition, wrong anyway
Win a project and you're a hero - until the books are closed and it didn't make any money, then your the jerk who lost the company money
Win a project and it comes in under budget and it's everyone but you who did a good job
Jobs that used to take 3-4 weeks to bid are being given deadlines of 1-2
Start a job and you can expect the drawings to change at least twice before the bid is due
Architects (no offense to anyone here) are complete morons who couldn't build a sandbox with full-color instructions
Engineers (no offense to anyone here) are complete morons who couldn't specify what kind of sand to fill it with
You sit alone in an office with 24 hours of work to do in 10
...interrupted by everyone imaginable - visits, calls, emails, messages,
...your queue of work never recedes
...you can't take time off (see the above)
Boss doesn't care
Coworkers don't care
Vendors don't care
Clients don't care
:rantoff:

... and that's why there's beer.

I enjoy my job, my 'bosses' are great people, but the job is about as high stress as you can get. I work long hours, about 11+ per day, 6 days a week (Okay, the weekend day is a shorter one, lol) have no social life, no personal life. This has been going on for almost a year now.

Can't seem to keep a decent quality assistant, they pay isn't bad, it's the stress factor. I'm one of those built in responsible people who will do whatever is necessary to get the job done.

I've been here 13 years, and the boss says I'm not allowed to quit, and I must give 6 months notice if I'm going to die. Then he'll put my ashes on the corner of my desk and make me work some more. :lamo

I'm hoping there is an end in sight to the excessive hours and stress by year end. I'm hanging on by that knot also at this point, and the boss knows it.

Lol take it on face value.

Must be real stressful having to look over your shoulder and worry about the cops all the time! :lol:

You're fortunate to have a job to complain about. Count your blessings. Or quit. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be grateful for your oppressive job.

Also, you're LITERALLY clinging to a rope for dear life?

Last edited:
Oof - tell me about it.

:ranton:
I'm an estimator
I work 10-12 hrs / day, non-stop
Given 10% of what I bid I win, 90% of what I do is thrown in the trash
And everything I do is, by definition, wrong anyway
Win a project and you're a hero - until the books are closed and it didn't make any money, then your the jerk who lost the company money
Win a project and it comes in under budget and it's everyone but you who did a good job
Jobs that used to take 3-4 weeks to bid are being given deadlines of 1-2
Start a job and you can expect the drawings to change at least twice before the bid is due
Architects (no offense to anyone here) are complete morons who couldn't build a sandbox with full-color instructions
Engineers (no offense to anyone here) are complete morons who couldn't specify what kind of sand to fill it with
You sit alone in an office with 24 hours of work to do in 10
...interrupted by everyone imaginable - visits, calls, emails, messages,
...your queue of work never recedes
...you can't take time off (see the above)
Boss doesn't care
Coworkers don't care
Vendors don't care
Clients don't care
:rantoff:

... and that's why there's beer.

How the client described it

How the architect envisioned it

How the engineer designed it

What the budget allowed

How the liability insurance agent described it

How the estimator bid it

How the manufacturer made it

What the building inspector expected

How the contractor installed it

What the customer really wanted

How the project was documented

How the customer was billed

Click for the cartoon: http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/46980

But is the freedom of answering only to yourself worth it?

That's what I want to do, break away from the corporate work and get on my own, but it's scary to take a jump like.

Absolutely it is!!

Being self employed allows you to pick your own challenges and rewards. It isn't easy.....heck, it's 10x as hard as working for someone else but if you're the kind of person who likes a challenge then it could be right up your alley.

You're fortunate to have a job to complain about. Count your blessings. Or quit. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be grateful for your oppressive job.

I would quit, but I'm sure Wells Fargo wouldn't be understanding of my lack of mortgage payment.

How about answering the question? Do YOU have a stressful job?

I work on average, 80 hours a week.

To you, whoopty do. To me, I'm stressed.

Don't like that I can whine here? Then put me on ignore. Easy enough.

I retired early, after 30 years at a job I loved, because of lying, dishonest, disrespectful people who had their own benefit as a higher priority than the work being done. I had planned on working longer, but I've never regretted the day I resigned.

I have worked at the same location for fourteen years, in an age where doing such a thing is unheard of.

But this town doesn't have much in the way of jobs that are above the poverty line or lower payscales. I had financial obligations I could barely afford. Basically, I considered walking through that gate every day to be another defeat. Then a company bought my company and I have since been promoted a few times in a pretty short time period. What happened is a small company became a big company and there was room for me to go up. My current boss is actually pretty awesome too, probably the best one I ever had.

I can't say this is what most people will experience, but even when things are dark, good and unexpected things can happen. I have learned that life can surprise you. Take this advice for what its worth, I guess.

Last edited:

Lemme guess... IRS agent? Lawyer?

This economy sucks so bad....

Back in the day you could just send out 20 resumes and get 18 calls back - we don't hire people like that anymore....

My boss is a total asshole to me. He is my own worst enemy!

working life is already full of stress girl ,we may find better ones which make us less stresfull

İ agree with you on that and suggest you find a new job soon

Back
Top Bottom