• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From whence do the ethical values of atheists derive?

You have no atheist "ethical" values alone. Without some sort of "moral compass", you are just wandering around in life. It is the society that embraces the tenets of some 'religion' that gives the moral compass to society. If you "have" ethical values, you got them from your society, and if they are not based on religious teaching, you have nothing worthwhile.
Just saying...

Again, "you have nothing worthwhile" is just an opinion without any evidence to back it up. I am not "wandering around in life" and neither are the other atheists. You make these statements without a single bit of actual evidence. And you still haven't told us about the atheists that you have known, so it appears that you were just making it up. It is the society that embraces ethical values through the experience of its citizens that gives moral compass to society, no "God" or religion needed. In the United States, the foundation of the ethics in the nation is the Constitution which then generates the laws that are passed in accordance with it. No mention of God at all in the Constitution, only "the people". The US is doing just fine without a national religion, in fact better than some Old World countries that had said national religions.

You may make any conclusion you like. I tell you it's true, and you wouldn't be able to discern if I gave you a list of 2 Million people that fall in the category, So yes, it has merit in reality. and down deep, you know it.

But you can't give an example of even one person, let alone "some". It's quite clear that you were just pulling your statement out of your nether regions and that you can't actually give any examples because you don't have any.

Again, "you have nothing worthwhile" is just an opinion without any evidence to back it up. I am not "wandering around in life" and neither are the other atheists. You make these statements without a single bit of actual evidence. And you still haven't told us about the atheists that you have known, so it appears that you were just making it up. It is the society that embraces ethical values through the experience of its citizens that gives moral compass to society, no "God" or religion needed. In the United States, the foundation of the ethics in the nation is the Constitution which then generates the laws that are passed in accordance with it. No mention of God at all in the Constitution, only "the people". The US is doing just fine without a national religion, in fact better than some Old World countries that had said national religions.

You are wrong, but it's your life.

Where did the family get them?

I hope to God you are not serious?

Are you really trying to make this trite subject into something existential?

If you truly have a question, ask it fully formed and I will give you the answer.

This is simple straight forward stuff that morons are trying to make into something it is not.

What do you define as morals and what do you use to gauge someone else’s?

The question is "Where did the family get them?" Is the answer that brought up in your mind too painful because it shows where you are wrong?

I have my morals, and you claim to have yours, I haven't gauged yours, and you are on your own to gauge mine.

You are wrong, but it's your life.

No, you are wrong. As an atheist, I live an extremely ethical life.

What and where and how we’re human ethics first developed? Were there no ethics prior to “God giving us” the Ten Commandments? Really?

I hope to God you are not serious?

Are you really trying to make this trite subject into something existential?

If you truly have a question, ask it fully formed and I will give you the answer.

This is simple straight forward stuff that morons are trying to make into something it is not.

If you can't answer the question, good bye.

The question is "Where did the family get them?" Is the answer that brought up in your mind too painful because it shows where you are wrong?

I have my morals, and you claim to have yours, I haven't gauged yours, and you are on your own to gauge mine.

And yet you insist on gauging those of atheists based on....what? Nothing that I can tell.

There ya go.

All, ethics are a derivative of social coalescing. All adopting certain behaviors added to the security of the social group.

This is simply stuff dudes.

I hope we can end this quasi philosophical thread now.

No, you are wrong. As an atheist, I live an extremely ethical life.

What and where and how we’re human ethics first developed? Were there no ethics prior to “God giving us” the Ten Commandments? Really?

Prove it.

To answer your questions: Pretty much.

I was perhaps a bit sloppy in the title of my previous thread, so it got off-track from what I was expecting. As such, I am trying to start over and clarify here.
“Believers” claim that moral authority comes from God and that since atheists “don’t believe in God”, that somehow allows them to simply do whatever they want without respect to ethics.
So my query then becomes from whence do the ethical values of atheists derive if not from God.

I know the answer, of course. This thread is more to provide an education for the theists in this forum, although atheists, like Democrats, have a notoriously rebellious streak in many case and so there may indeed be some debate about the source of ethics.

Logic, reason, philosophy. Based on biological imperatives and responses to stimulus, is my belief.

Ie, i dont want to die, therefore killing me is bad. Treating others the same encourages them to treat me the same, therefore not killing others is good.
Not starving is good (pleasureable), so acquiring food is good. Stealing others food can cause them to fight me or steal mine, so stealing is bad.

Etc. Thats very simplified.

Is that the answer you know?

Prove it.

To answer your questions: Pretty much.

People didn’t know how to live with one another in society before “God gave us” the Ten Commndments? They could figure out on their own not to lie, heat, steal, or murder? It’s just amazing that you would have such a thought. There were plenty of human societies existing in a harmonious state prior to the Ten Commandments. When exactly did that happen? The year would be fine, not the exact date necessarily.
Answer: It no doubt didn’t happen. It’s just myth.

And yet you insist on gauging those of atheists based on....what? Nothing that I can tell.

There ya go.

Ah, that's what you meant. Thank you.

Based on the system of ethical behaviors developed using the Judea-Christian tenets that society has embraced.

What's yours based on?

People didn’t know how to live with one another in society before “God gave us” the Ten Commndments? They could figure out on their own not to lie, heat, steal, or murder? It’s just amazing that you would have such a thought. There were plenty of human societies existing in a harmonious state prior to the Ten Commandments. When exactly did that happen? The year would be fine, not the exact date necessarily.
Answer: It no doubt didn’t happen. It’s just myth.

You just made my point.

Ah, that's what you meant. Thank you.

Based on the system of ethical behaviors developed using the Judea-Christian tenets that society has embraced.

What's yours based on?

Societies in other parts of the world developed civil societies with codes against lies, cheating, stealing and murder without said Judeo-Christian standards. Which basically shows that it was human interaction that determined ethical actions, not some outside source “giving” them to us.

Back
Top Bottom