• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From the people who are bringing back whale hunting

OldFatGuy

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The world's most expensive sushi:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-3-1-million-at-tokyo-auction?srnd=premium

Most of my life I've enjoyed fishing. I believe in eating what I catch, or at least someone eating what I catch. It is a pleasure I've passed on to my children and grandchildren. It is healthy eating. I've fished in streams, lakes, rivers, oceans and from boats, bridges, shorelines, whatever. Always tossed back immature catches, fish in need of conservation, trophy fish that put up a good fight and are still healthy.

Tuna require conservation. And whales are intelligent mammals.

Then there are the issues of excess wealth here. I'll let all you comment on that, but think about that price next time you munch down on a tuna salad sandwich. Maybe chicken salad is a more moral choice?

You might also want to read Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.

The fish is expensive because of the severe creel limit. Its conservation at work. Meanwhile, canned tuna is made from an entirely different species, which is not endangered.

However, Japan has decided to snub the rest of the world and legalize whaling again. That's a problem.

As for intelligence, octopus is highly intelegwnt, and we eat it anyway. So are pigs.

We went whale watching a couple of months ago. It was an all day trip. I learned a lot about whales. It would be a grand thing if they'd ban whale hunting altogether.

I too love to fish. Obviously I no longer fish in Arizona as I once did living back east. I do miss fresh fish. Anytime I am near a coast I eat fish like a man possessed. Commercial fishing enables us to have so many choices of fresh fish - or frozen if you have to eat frozen fish. At the same time as with most everything else these days humans are guilty of irresponsible consumption. I can't imagine how much fresh fish is throw away in supermarkets across the US everyday. Let's hope for future generations that there is good fishing on Mars because there isn't going to be much left on earth.

The world's most expensive sushi

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-3-1-million-at-tokyo-auction?srnd=premium

Most of my life I've enjoyed fishing. I believe in eating what I catch, or at least someone eating what I catch. It is a pleasure I've passed on to my children and grandchildren. It is healthy eating. I've fished in streams, lakes, rivers, oceans and from boats, bridges, shorelines, whatever. Always tossed back immature catches, fish in need of conservation, trophy fish that put up a good fight and are still healthy.

Tuna require conservation. And whales are intelligent mammals.

Then there are the issues of excess wealth here. I'll let all you comment on that, but think about that price next time you munch down on a tuna salad sandwich. Maybe chicken salad is a more moral choice?

You might also want to read Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.

Who eat's whale anymore anyway. And, it's not like we need the fat/oil anymore. ?

Who eat's whale anymore anyway. And, it's not like we need the fat/oil anymore. ?

Obviously, some of the Japanese, Eskimos and other Inuit.

I'm happy with fresh anchovies, sardines, trout, salmon, river pike, blue fish and snapper and so forth in season.

When in need I understand but Japan has a high standard of living comparatively. And I love Japanese culture but maybe this is unecessary. Especially at an industrial level. That's where it gets gross.

Back
Top Bottom