• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

From the 'Horses Mouth'

Inuyasha said:
I would estimate Bush's diehard followers at 20 to 25% and the same goes for any other politician. The have a core base more or less in that range.

I've heard figures between 20% & 30%. It will be interesting to see how low his numbers go after this embarassing "happy war talk - blame the media XXXVLI" tour.

I wonder if the polls really started cutting into the base would Bush pay attention to the people that elected him?

ashurbanipal said:
Then there are those of us who think that nothing that we've done in the way of good deeds could compensate for the thousands of civilians we've killed (accidentally or not) in an unjust and unjustified war. I would venture a guess that given a choice, most Iraqis would rather ditch the democracy just to have their dead children back.

But the Busheviks would have you not show the story of the dead Iraqi civilian. Heavens no! Show us the picture of the new school being built for all of the kids with lost limbs and no parents.

Truth is stranger than fiction. It's incredible to me. If Orwell were alive....

easyt65 said:
The wife of a military jourrnalist just coming back from 13 months at Tikrit just stood up and BLASTED the biased, Al Jazeera-like media here in the states for displaying nothing but the negative side of what is going on in Iraq! She asked Bush what could be done to get the REAL story out.

After a standing ovation, Bush encouraged her to get the TRUTH out through word of mouth, through churches, the web, etc because the media won't change, and it is not the goverment's job to surpress the media (no matter how skewed by agenda it may be)!

:applaud :rock :bravo: :ind:

For all of those whoare going to ask why her husband didn't stand up and make the comment/ask the question, a military member is not allowed to stand up and make such a statement in public!

Well, the husband of this woman made a fool out of himself last night on Hardball. He stated that he knew "for a fact" that people in the media cannot stand George Bush and Christian values (what the hell is that about?). When Chris asked how he knew that, he fumbled all over himself--it was hilarious to watch. Here is the transcript.

MATTHEWS: Do you think there’s a political motive or a career motive behind that? What is the motive for what you see as distorted reporting?

K. TAYLOR: In some aspects, I believe there could very well be a political motive. I know, for a fact, that there are members of the media who are bitterly opposed to our president, the Christian values that he believes in, the decisions he makes, and even the party he stands for. I knew that was also... [oh brother]

MATTHEWS: Did you hear that firsthand from any reporter who you toured around with?

K. TAYLOR: Oh, nobody’s going to say that, and...

MATTHEWS: Well, how do you know it?

(CROSSTALK)

K. TAYLOR: ... the record. Well, I’ve talked to people. I’ve watched TV. I watch news a lot. I enjoy the news most of the time.

MATTHEWS: But from your firsthand experience in the field, have you got any evidence of any reporter having a secret agenda to hurt the president, who doesn’t share your and his Christian values? Any evidence of that?

K. TAYLOR: Not specifically details, but, again, I know that it’s apparent. [yeah, you have no evidence whatsoever]

MATTHEWS
: Well, any evidence of any kind, any anecdotal stories you could tell of a reporter making a wise-guy comment or an anti-Bush slur?

G. TAYLOR: On the nightly news. [the man can't even answer the friggin' question]

MATTHEWS: No, I’m talking about your experience in the field, sir.

K. TAYLOR: I can’t say that I did, because when we were over there in Iraq, we talked about hometowns; we talked about families; we talked about doing our job; we talked about the potential in Iraq for the people who have, for centuries, known nothing by tyranny...

MATTHEWS: Right.

K. TAYLOR: ... and the freedom that they could have...

MATTHEWS: So your firsthand’s experience, Kent, are that reporters sort of share your attitudes and your values?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11993079/

You been there Pete?

In Iraq, nope.. but 13 years living in the middle east does give some presepective...

I can find falsehoods in your negatives already, man. Crme, murder, and kidnappings - yeah, its called war on terrorism as the Iraqis are fighting the Insurgents who want to keep their new democracy from flourishing!

Bullshit. Most of the murder and kidnapping and crime that we do not hear about are by criminal gangs. Now how did those gangs start.. well Saddam for one let many criminals out of jail pre invasion and after the fall the lack of security was so massive that it was relatively easy for gangs to set up and do thier thing. Most kidnappings are for money and not for political gain and most of the crime and murders are not reported on our media.

The Iraqi people are not giving up and are stating loud and clear that they would rather be fighting and dying for their own freedom than dying under the continued tyranny of hussein!

Yes they are and they are also shouting loud and clear that they want the US out. Ungreatful bastards I bet :roll:

Lesser rights for women, also, for example - there are women in the new govts cabinet - something NEVER allowed before! Women have finally been allowd to vote and voted in higher numbers than men!

Bullshit. Iraq was under Saddam one of the only places in the middle east where women were given the same rights in most areas of society. There was female military units, several ministers in goverment and they had the right to vote.

Why do you think that one of the conditions was that women were given % of the national assembly seats and ministerial posts? Because everyone knows the religious zealots who would win power would not allow women to do jack **** other than be birthing machines for thier bloody jihad.

hipsterdufus said:
Sister! aps is a woman. Look at the freakin symbol on the side under their name.

aps is right on the money with her comment. To blame this war on the media is ridiculous. The Busheviks are spending billions to produce their own propaganda on how rosey everything is.

The majority of the American public isn't that stupid.

WHO is blaming the war on the media?

Amrericans are blaming the media for reporting only the negative stories, and it has NEVER been OK for the media to take photographs of the coffins of dead soldiers returning home. Like it is a shock that biased media sources would use the photos for propoganda?! :roll:

easyt65 said:

Amrericans are blaming the media for reporting only the negative stories, and it has NEVER been OK for the media to take photographs of the coffins of dead soldiers returning home. Like it is a shock that biased media sources would use the photos for propoganda?! :roll:

Remember the reporting from Viet Nam? The media in Iraq can't show any film anything like the film from that war. I don't think its a good idea to hide the gruesome aspects of the war. All Americans should know exactly what's involved, good and bad, in order to learn all the information needed to approve or disapprove of the next war before it starts.

tryreading said:
Remember the reporting from Viet Nam? The media in Iraq can't show any film anything like the film from that war. I don't think its a good idea to hide the gruesome aspects of the war. All Americans should know exactly what's involved, good and bad, in order to learn all the information needed to approve or disapprove of the next war before it starts.

So knowing that media coverage of battles negatively affect our nation's resolve to fight and defend ourselves, making the lazy and liberals on the couch feel uncomfortable, you would send in the media to aid and abet the enemy in eroding our resolve to the point of wanting to surrender faster than even Dean called for? Who's side are you on? Wait, I forgot about kerry's little trip to Paris, Durbin/Kerry's comments about the troops, and Murthas and Dean's calls for us to surrender - I know exactly what side you guys are on!

Then next time, we can all remember the pictures. Of course, we can't show the pictures from 9/11 becuase it might make people angry, but we can show flag draped coffins and the reality of war?

We need to show Americans, who are being bombarded today by negative press - eroding their resolve, the footage from 9/11 again to remind everyone that the insurgents we are fighting in iraq are the guys who attacked us on 9/11!

hipsterdufus said:
Bush can have 1,000 of these happy talk events and the 30% or so that think Bush is the second coming of Christ will give him a standing O every time. You seem to be one of them. Fine.

Your post sounded intelligent and then out of nowhere you started rabid frothing out the mouth and now I feel like you liberal drooled all over me.

aps said:
Well, the husband of this woman made a fool out of himself last night on Hardball. He stated that he knew "for a fact" that people in the media cannot stand George Bush and Christian values (what the hell is that about?). When Chris asked how he knew that, he fumbled all over himself--it was hilarious to watch. Here is the transcript.

Now many reporters are self admittedly liberal and lets listen to a liberal talk:

Originally Posted by hipsterdufus

Bush can have 1,000 of these happy talk events and the 30% or so that think Bush is the second coming of Christ will give him a standing O every time. You seem to be one of them. Fine.

Yeah the guy is crazy what's he talking about?:rofl

Oh and Chris Matthews is the same guy who asked the question..."Is it fair to call Laura Bush a stepford wife in comparison to Theresa Heinz Kerry"

...whatever

Last edited:
easyt65 said:

Uh, not quite. You must not remember Vietnam too well.

Media reporting of the return of fallen soldiers to the United States and ceremonies honoring American military personnel killed overseas have long figured heavily in the nation's collective mourning. During the Vietnam War, these images appeared regularly on television and in print news sources. In the 1980's, as well, media reporting concerning honor rituals and ceremonies for soldiers was commonplace:

Source

:hm

talloulou said:
Now many reporters are self admittedly liberal and lets listen to a liberal talk:

Whether that is true or not, the guy could not provide any evidence to substantiate his allegation. You should have seen him. When people are uncomfortable, they tend to swallow. That's what he was doing when Chris was asking him upon what basis he came to that conclusion.

And what is up with his ridiculous allegation about Christian values?

easyt65 said:
So knowing that media coverage of battles negatively affect our nation's resolve to fight and defend ourselves, making the lazy and liberals on the couch feel uncomfortable, you would send in the media to aid and abet the enemy in eroding our resolve to the point of wanting to surrender faster than even Dean called for? Who's side are you on? Wait, I forgot about kerry's little trip to Paris, Durbin/Kerry's comments about the troops, and Murthas and Dean's calls for us to surrender - I know exactly what side you guys are on!

Then next time, we can all remember the pictures. Of course, we can't show the pictures from 9/11 becuase it might make people angry, but we can show flag draped coffins and the reality of war?

We need to show Americans, who are being bombarded today by negative press - eroding their resolve, the footage from 9/11 again to remind everyone that the insurgents we are fighting in iraq are the guys who attacked us on 9/11!

I am not a Democrat, and your characterization of me is wrong. I am for the war on terror and the war in Afghanistan that is part of it. The Iraq war I am against, but we must stay there until their military and police can keep order by themselves. I'm all for killing anybody who would damage this country or kill people here, and my resolve on that won't be changed by any images. If you look below, I said all of the good and bad should be shown to us. But I mean all, not the whitewashed news we get now.

So you want to keep people ignorant so they will back the war? You think Americans are best left uninformed? We are that unmotivated? You have a low opinion of your fellow citizens.

One thing you said above I shouldn't have to correct you on. The footage on 9/11 and its aftermath has been shown thousands of times by each news outlet, as it should have been. How could you have missed that coverage? You appear to have a selective memory regarding the media.

easyt65 said:

Your wording and name calling is strangely similar to Sean Hannity's, by the way.

tryreading said:
I am not a Democrat, and your characterization of me is wrong. I am for the war on terror and the war in Afghanistan that is part of it. The Iraq war I am against, but we must stay there until their military and police can keep order by themselves. I'm all for killing anybody who would damage this country or kill people here, and my resolve on that won't be changed by any images. If you look below, I said all of the good and bad should be shown to us. But I mean all, not the whitewashed news we get now.

So you want to keep people ignorant so they will back the war? You think Americans are best left uninformed? We are that unmotivated? You have a low opinion of your fellow citizens.

One thing you said above I shouldn't have to correct you on. The footage on 9/11 and its aftermath has been shown thousands of times by each news outlet, as it should have been. How could you have missed that coverage? You appear to have a selective memory regarding the media.

Damn good post TR. The more the American public is informed the better for them, especially those under 35 because if this happens to get any bigger (and we all hope to hell it won't) they are going to be plenty pissed off when they get to the war and find out that they were poorly informed and are badly prepared for what they will have to face. The chance for you to serve your country may be just around the corner. This i know from experience.

aps said:
Whether that is true or not, the guy could not provide any evidence to substantiate his allegation. You should have seen him. When people are uncomfortable, they tend to swallow. That's what he was doing when Chris was asking him upon what basis he came to that conclusion.

Yeah but Chris Matthews is a professional who makes all his money putting people in a hot seat and attempting to make them look dumb. The guy he was interviewing is not anywhere in the same league as Chris when it comes to debate and winning an argument. If you asked Chris Matthews if political journalists on TV are overwhelminly liberal he'd say yes. He'd also argue that the fact that they are mostly liberal doesn't necessarily mean they let their bias show in their work. Also if you asked Chris Matthews if there is a christian bashing tone lately in our culture...he'd say yeah. If you had a debate with him and he wanted to make you look stupid chances are he would. :rofl That's his job and he loves it.

And what is up with his ridiculous allegation about Christian values?

It's nonsense. Different Christians have different values. Much of our population in the US is Christian. We all have different values. Most aren't strict fundamentalists. Alot of the bashing is straight up Christian bashing with no attempt to say.....fundamentalists believe this while many christians don't feel that way. Liberals have values....they may not have placed as many strict good/bad value judgements on as many things as a fundamentalist christian has. Is that good or bad? Does that make one group better than the other? Those are all subjective questions that depend on ones interpretations and perceptions. And for what it's worth I think there are many many christians in our country who are liberal and the dems might be shooting themselves in the foot with all this christian bashing.

I know there is alot of Christian bashing because I don't associate myself with any religion any longer (Its not that I don't believe in God, I just know that if there is something to know I don't personally know it. :rofl) yet, I hear christians bashed left and right on TV and on here and it's gotten to the point where it's offensive to me and I don't even like organized religion!

Last edited:
talloulou said:
It's nonsense. Different Christians have different values. Much of our population in the US is Christian. We all have different values. Most aren't strict fundamentalists. Alot of the bashing is straight up Christian bashing with no attempt to say.....fundamentalists believe this while many christians don't feel that way. Liberals have values....they may not have placed as many strict good/bad value judgements on as many things as a fundamentalist christian has. Is that good or bad? Does that make one group better than the other? Those are all subjective questions that depend on ones interpretations and perceptions. And for what it's worth I think there are many many christians in our country who are liberal and the dems might be shooting themselves in the foot with all this christian bashing.

I know there is alot of Christian bashing because I don't associate myself with any religion any longer (Its not that I don't believe in God, I just know that if there is something to know I don't personally know it. :rofl) yet, I hear christians bashed left and right on TV and on here and it's gotten to the point where it's offensive to me and I don't even like organized religion!

This is a very interesting statement because if you replace the word "Christian" with the word "Muslim" you have the exact same situation that exists in the Muslim world. The silence of the moderate and liberal Muslims is why the fundamentalists are seemingly in charge of the situation yet moderate Muslims obviously out-number the fundamentalists 10 to 1 or more. What is the reason? In the case of the Muslims it is fear. Fear of reprisal by some fundamentalist group not necessarily a terrorist group but by a group of perhaps , clerics. So why don't the moderate Christians speak out? Same reason. Fear- Fear of reprisals from extremist fundamentalist groups and clerics. The Pat Robertson-Jerry Falwell types can be just as intimidating as the Muslim clerics and to Christians perhaps just as dangerous. Especially when the begin to spew rhetoric that borders on inciting violence like Pat Robertson has done on several occasions. In the end there is no difference between fundamentalist Muslims or Christians save the fact that at present the Muslims fundamentalists are more militant but that could just as easily change in the blink of an eye.

Back
Top Bottom