• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

From the 'Horses Mouth'

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The wife of a military jourrnalist just coming back from 13 months at Tikrit just stood up and BLASTED the biased, Al Jazeera-like media here in the states for displaying nothing but the negative side of what is going on in Iraq! She asked Bush what could be done to get the REAL story out.

After a standing ovation, Bush encouraged her to get the TRUTH out through word of mouth, through churches, the web, etc because the media won't change, and it is not the goverment's job to surpress the media (no matter how skewed by agenda it may be)!

:applaud :rock :bravo: :ind:

For all of those whoare going to ask why her husband didn't stand up and make the comment/ask the question, a military member is not allowed to stand up and make such a statement in public!
 

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
35,229
Reaction score
12,106
Location
Denmark
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Okay name some positive stuff from Iraq if you can.

I can name the following..

Iraqies can vote now in a free election.
No Saddam or single party system.
Blooming media all over the place.
In charge of thier own destiny.. kinda.


On the negative side I can mention off hand

Higher crime, more murders, more kidnappings.
Less power production, more blackouts, less oil coming out of the ground to pay for it all, less sewage or water treatment, less fresh water, less jobs and hence higher unemployment.
Fewer and fewer children going to school because of fear of kidnapping and those going to school are under armed gaurds.
Less rights for women.
The same or more corruption in goverment.

There is plenty more if you want it.. but hey if you want to belive in fairytales..
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
PeteEU said:
Okay name some positive stuff from Iraq if you can.

I can name the following..

Iraqies can vote now in a free election.
No Saddam or single party system.
Blooming media all over the place.
In charge of thier own destiny.. kinda.


On the negative side I can mention off hand

Higher crime, more murders, more kidnappings.
Less power production, more blackouts, less oil coming out of the ground to pay for it all, less sewage or water treatment, less fresh water, less jobs and hence higher unemployment.
Fewer and fewer children going to school because of fear of kidnapping and those going to school are under armed gaurds.
Less rights for women.
The same or more corruption in goverment.

There is plenty more if you want it.. but hey if you want to belive in fairytales..
The wife of the soldier talking to bush stood up and rattled off a laundry list of things happening in Iraq that the media here at home is/has ignored!

You been there Pete? I can find falsehoods in your negatives already, man. Crme, murder, and kidnappings - yeah, its called war on terrorism as the Iraqis are fighting the Insurgents who want to keep their new democracy from flourishing! The Iraqi people are not giving up and are stating loud and clear that they would rather be fighting and dying for their own freedom than dying under the continued tyranny of hussein! Lesser rights for women, also, for example - there are women in the new govts cabinet - something NEVER allowed before! Women have finally been allowd to vote and voted in higher numbers than men!
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Oh yeah, the horse's mouth. Guess there can be no difference of opinion, eh? I know people who feel the opposite and have been stationed in Iraq.

Anyway, I love how people like to blame the media for the negativity coming from Iraq. I guess more than 2300 soldiers dying and more than 10,000 being maimed means nothing to you. Of course it wouldn't, it's not you.
 

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
4,641
Reaction score
1,102
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aps said:
I guess more than 2300 soldiers dying and more than 10,000 being maimed means nothing to you. Of course it wouldn't, it's not you.
That is a disgustingly cheap shot. Very disappointing. That is so low, so demeaning, so disgusting, that words just fail me.
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aps said:
Oh yeah, the horse's mouth. Guess there can be no difference of opinion, eh? I know people who feel the opposite and have been stationed in Iraq.

Anyway, I love how people like to blame the media for the negativity coming from Iraq. I guess more than 2300 soldiers dying and more than 10,000 being maimed means nothing to you. Of course it wouldn't, it's not you.
What a pathetic attempt at BS :spin: !

"How dare people blame the media for the negastive press about Iraq?!"
Where is all the press about Iraq coming from? THE MEDIA!

WHAT is all the media about Iraq? NEGATIVE!

Who are we supposed to blame for nothing but negative media about Iraq, the 'Nazi'/'terrorist' soldiers?

You know soldiers, huh? You don't know JACK aps! You run your mouth,never provide links or anything to support any of the BS you spew, and refuse to address/acknowledge any links r REAL facts from anyone else who does!

Your word doesn't mean Jack to anyone until you start backing up any of the garbage you spew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps
I guess more than 2300 soldiers dying and more than 10,000 being maimed means nothing to you. Of course it wouldn't, it's not you.

-- That is a disgustingly cheap shot. Very disappointing. That is so low, so demeaning, so disgusting, that words just fail me.


You're right, that is a disgusting cheap shot, but everyone should have come to expect that from him and very little else!
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
aps said:
Oh yeah, the horse's mouth. Guess there can be no difference of opinion, eh? I know people who feel the opposite and have been stationed in Iraq.

Anyway, I love how people like to blame the media for the negativity coming from Iraq. I guess more than 2300 soldiers dying and more than 10,000 being maimed means nothing to you. Of course it wouldn't, it's not you.
Not at all, but people die in wars, that's why they call it war, but some suggest it's not worth the cost, and that is where we obviously differ. I think the cost of freedom is worth the price that we all have shared, and we all share that price, in dollars, and tears. The point here is that, should we not at the very least, look in to some of the good, or just continue to focus on only the bad, we know who that helps, and who that hurts. Still, no one can control the media, nor should they, but I can only suggest, as the president has, that we realize that this constant focus on the bad, is only helping the terrorists.
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
vandree said:
Wouldn't the horse's mouth actually be an Iraqi?!
We don't listen to them either!

On election day, an Iraqi woman left the polls and saw the camera. She turned and declared that they were free and that it was all due to the U.S. She praised the soldiers, this nation, and Bush. She finished by saying anyone who is against Bush and wants to turn their backs on Iraq can go to HEL!. THAT is from the Horse's mouth and got almost NO airplay back at home! Fox ran it and CBS ran it ONCE!

Iraqi Generals have come forward to tell about WMD being shipped to Syria -- they don't count, and we don't listen to them.

A reporter did a story about how school kids there run to meet and thank soldiers - Nope, can't air that story or listen to them!

There are a LOT of great stories from Iraq. this military reporter comes back after 13 months to tell people that reporters who are writing the negative press are guys who never leave the safety of the Green Zone, who never leave their hotel's balcony.....but we can't listen to him, either!?
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
easyt65 said:
You're right, that is a disgusting cheap shot, but everyone should have come to expect that from him and very little else!
I honestly don't care what you think of me. Badmouth me all you want, but please get my sex correct, as I am a woman.
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aps said:
I honestly don't care what you think of me. Badmouth me all you want, but please get my sex correct, as I am a woman.
Oh my apologies! The fact that youara woman makes all the difference in the cheap shot about dead soldiers, too! :roll:
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
easyt65 said:
Oh my apologies! The fact that youara woman makes all the difference in the cheap shot about dead soldiers, too! :roll:
I have to admit, that was kinda funny. :lol:

I don't get why you and oldreliable are so disgusted, but you two are entitled to your feelings. I honestly did not mean to offend anyone.
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aps said:
I have to admit, that was kinda funny. :lol:

I don't get why you and oldreliable are so disgusted, but you two are entitled to your feelings. I honestly did not mean to offend anyone.
Using a reference to dead Americans to prove a political point is disgusting. Not meaning to bash the Democrats, but the onlytime they acknowledge the military is when they are using it for their own political advantage!

Durbin's reference to our troops as Nazis while wrongly reading what he thought was a classified document in order to score political points was wrong! When he was told of his error (what he was reading and saying was incorrect), he refused to apologize!

Kerry's calling American soldiers is very reminiscent of his perjurous testimony beforre congress when he told how he had witnessed soldiers sommit war crimes in Viet Nam only to admit later that was false and thathe had onlydone it to jump-start his anti-war political career!

THAT is why we get upset and find such political opportunities at our soldiers' expense so wrong!
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
easyt65 said:
Using a reference to dead Americans to prove a political point is disgusting. Not meaning to bash the Democrats, but the onlytime they acknowledge the military is when they are using it for their own political advantage!

Durbin's reference to our troops as Nazis while wrongly reading what he thought was a classified document in order to score political points was wrong! When he was told of his error (what he was reading and saying was incorrect), he refused to apologize!

Kerry's calling American soldiers is very reminiscent of his perjurous testimony beforre congress when he told how he had witnessed soldiers sommit war crimes in Viet Nam only to admit later that was false and thathe had onlydone it to jump-start his anti-war political career!

THAT is why we get upset and find such political opportunities at our soldiers' expense so wrong!
Wow, easy. This is a thoughtful response. I was not using the soldiers as a political point. Frankly, I think it's disgusting when people talk about how there is so much good going on and almost dismissing the fact that we have had so many soldiers die in this war and even more seriously wounded. That is my personal opinion. The media isn't allowed to show the coffins of those returning from Iraq. Why? Because of what kind of reaction people would have? Are we supposed to pretend that this war does not come with serious sacrifices?

As for Durbin, I think the reaction to what he said was blown out of proportion. Nevertheless, he could have apologized; however, had he apologized, would people have said that he gave in to public opinion? Would he be called weak for not standing his ground? I certainly despise the terrorists as much as anyone, but it was horrifying to see what some of those soldiers did. To me, it was inhumane.

Okay, do you have a link about what Kerry said? I don't remember that situation, and I am curious if it is really that bad.

Now, this is not to say that you are not entitled to be disgusted with the dems for all that has transpired. I understand how easy it can be to dislike the opposite party.
 

Inuyasha

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
1,510
Reaction score
58
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Hey aps, if the horse's mouth is in Iraq can you guess where the horse's @ss is?:lol: :lol:
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Inuyasha said:
Hey aps, if the horse's mouth is in Iraq can you guess where the horse's @ss is?:lol: :lol:
The response to this was too easy as you set yourself and aps up!
 

easyt65

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aps said:
The media isn't allowed to show the coffins of those returning from Iraq. Why? Because of what kind of reaction people would have?
No because people like Dean and the media would USE those pictures for their own agenda, as some politicians have.
("See the coffins of our dead returning home from the blah, blah war.")
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Keith Olbermann addressed the attacking of the media that occurred in that townhall meeting in West Virginia. He had Richard Wolffe on there from Newsweek magazine, who I really like because he is practical and honest and dosen't seem to play partisan politics. Anyway, here's what he said about the media reporting bad news.

WOLFFE: The second point is, what are people thinking here? Of course, the media focuses on bad news, on death and violence. First of all, this is a war which has been hugely expensive in terms of blood and treasure. And secondly, that‘s the way life is. It‘s not a bias of the media. If it was a bias, then why has cable news talked about murders? Why don‘t they have whole shows that talk about childbirth?

You know, it just doesn‘t work like that. So it‘s incredibly naive, it‘s partisan, and it‘s ironic for people who claim to be rooting out bias to start saying we should be biased in how we report the war.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975495/
I just don't get why people seem to think that Iraq is different than any other news story. If I watch my local news, all I hear about is bad stuff--kids dying in alcohol-related accidents, a woman crossing the street is struck and seriously injured, a man is murdered in his own home, etc. Why should Iraq be any different?
 

tecoyah

Back
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
3,419
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
oldreliable67 said:
That is a disgustingly cheap shot. Very disappointing. That is so low, so demeaning, so disgusting, that words just fail me.
The numbers are also.....unfortunately true.
 

Indy

Phoenecian
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
2,089
Reaction score
408
Location
Chicago
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Independent
easyt65 said:
Kerry's calling American soldiers is very reminiscent of his perjurous testimony beforre congress when he told how he had witnessed soldiers sommit war crimes in Viet Nam only to admit later that was false and thathe had onlydone it to jump-start his anti-war political career!
Oh man, i can't believe people still fall for that SwiftBoatVeterans nonsense. Have you ever bothered to read transcripts of the WHOLE testemony or saw video of it in its entirety or have you only watched the FOX news clips during 2004? I ask this becasue he never said a single thing (to my recolection) about what HE saw, he was testifying ON BEHALF of the veterans he was there to represent and what THEY say and partisipated in. And as for admitting later that he lied and did it to jump-start his anti-war political career... well now that's something that you have to show a source for if you want us to take you seriously. Otherwise people are going to start to ignore your posts because they think you make stuff up. How 'bout it? A link please.
 

tryreading

Steve
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
4,809
Reaction score
764
Location
Central Florida
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
easyt65 said:
No because people like Dean and the media would USE those pictures for their own agenda, as some politicians have.
("See the coffins of our dead returning home from the blah, blah war.")
What agenda is being furthered by the withholding of the pictures from the American people?

We must see the coffins. They are part of the conflict. You have people calling for more reporting of the positive in Iraq, and it should be publicized. It is being publicized. I see stories about the opening of new schools there, interviews with Iraqis talking about the positive things they experience now, the story of the girl, Noor, is constantly on the network news. The recent voting there was all over the networks.

Neal Boortz was talking today about how the rescue of the Christian group in Iraq was not being reported by the media as a rescue by American and British troops. But then I look online and see an AP story telling about the rescue of those people by American and British soldiers, then I watch ABC news and they have a lead story about the rescue of those people by American and Britisg troops, then CBS news has a story about the rescue of those people by the American and British troops. So his example of the negative media was completely wrong today, but he gave this information to about 5 million people. Will he retract this tomorrow?

Funny story: Fox News recently interviewed Bob Dole about only the negative being reported from Iraq. Fox News had Dole offset on the screen, and was showing a scene in the background of a car bomb attack with flames and smoke everywhere, while they were showing Dole's interview about overly negative reporting from Iraq. Come on. What media won't report these things? But they report the positive too, I saw it today and see it every day. The thing is, in a war there is much more negative to report than positive.
 

ashurbanipal

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
7,039
Reaction score
2,074
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Private
The wife of the soldier talking to bush stood up and rattled off a laundry list of things happening in Iraq that the media here at home is/has ignored!
Then there are those of us who think that nothing that we've done in the way of good deeds could compensate for the thousands of civilians we've killed (accidentally or not) in an unjust and unjustified war. I would venture a guess that given a choice, most Iraqis would rather ditch the democracy just to have their dead children back.
 
H

hipsterdufus

easyt65 said:
The wife of a military jourrnalist just coming back from 13 months at Tikrit just stood up and BLASTED the biased, Al Jazeera-like media here in the states for displaying nothing but the negative side of what is going on in Iraq! She asked Bush what could be done to get the REAL story out.

After a standing ovation, Bush encouraged her to get the TRUTH out through word of mouth, through churches, the web, etc because the media won't change, and it is not the goverment's job to surpress the media (no matter how skewed by agenda it may be)!

:applaud :rock :bravo: :ind:

For all of those whoare going to ask why her husband didn't stand up and make the comment/ask the question, a military member is not allowed to stand up and make such a statement in public!
I've heard this comment from the right for years. It's the old "attack the messanger" story. It didn't work in Vietnam either and it won't work in Iraq.

Put it in another light. What do you think the main story would be if New York city and LA were on fire - using you're reasoning the media should say "Everything's great in Chicago and the rest of the country."

Or in New Orleans the story should be on the people in the French Quarter that weren't affected by the hurricane rather than the 1,400 killed, or the fact that we're still digging up bodies to this day.

Bush can have 1,000 of these happy talk events and the 30% or so that think Bush is the second coming of Christ will give him a standing O every time. You seem to be one of them. Fine.

No one else is buying it anymore though. It's just talk, and the Busheviks have lied to the people so many times, he has very little credibility left with the American public.

And KC says "I bet Bush will have a hard time getting re-elected."
 

Inuyasha

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
1,510
Reaction score
58
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
I would estimate Bush's diehard followers at 20 to 25% and the same goes for any other politician. The have a core base more or less in that range.
 
H

hipsterdufus

easyt65 said:
You're right, that is a disgusting cheap shot, but everyone should have come to expect that from him and very little else!
Sister! aps is a woman. Look at the freakin symbol on the side under their name.

aps is right on the money with her comment. To blame this war on the media is ridiculous. The Busheviks are spending billions to produce their own propaganda on how rosey everything is.

The majority of the American public isn't that stupid.
 
Top Bottom