• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From Recreational Athlete to International Ultra-Athlete on a Plant-Based Diet

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Forks Over Knives | From Recreational Athlete to International Ultra-Athlete on a Plant-Based Diet

Since I was going “all-in” to achieve my lifelong dream, I decided to try the plant-based diet and the green smoothies with which my coach had found so much success. I jumped in with vigor and my body seemed to like it. Within two weeks, I completely lost my appetite for chicken. Two weeks after that, I lost my taste for other meats. My new way of eating also helped me beat my cravings for sugar and alcohol. The more I stayed on the regimen, the better I felt.

Forks Over Knives | From Recreational Athlete to International Ultra-Athlete on a Plant-Based Diet

Since I was going “all-in” to achieve my lifelong dream, I decided to try the plant-based diet and the green smoothies with which my coach had found so much success. I jumped in with vigor and my body seemed to like it. Within two weeks, I completely lost my appetite for chicken. Two weeks after that, I lost my taste for other meats. My new way of eating also helped me beat my cravings for sugar and alcohol. The more I stayed on the regimen, the better I felt.

Yeesh.
You keep finding new levels of irrelevancy. I've got an anecdote for you about a man who smokes cigars all his life, chews tobacco where he can't smoke, drinks vodka straight every day and is still ticking at 92. Why doesn't his example represent a healthy lifestyle?

There are several vegans in the MMA world as well. You can certainly be an athlete on a plant based diet. But then athletes are usually already pretty good at planning their meal programs. And building a healthy vegan diet DOES take planning and research.

Yeesh.
You keep finding new levels of irrelevancy. I've got an anecdote for you about a man who smokes cigars all his life, chews tobacco where he can't smoke, drinks vodka straight every day and is still ticking at 92. Why doesn't his example represent a healthy lifestyle?

Well in all fairness there are not many professional endurance athletes that smoke. However, there are a lot of professional endurance athletes on a plant based diet due to its promoting much lower levels of inflammation.

That said, it does require a lot of nutritional planning to hit their nutritional macros.

Well in all fairness there are not many professional endurance athletes that smoke. However, there are a lot of professional endurance athletes on a plant based diet due to its promoting much lower levels of inflammation.

That said, it does require a lot of nutritional planning to hit their nutritional macros.

I know. I just tire of people presenting anecdotes to try to prove a dogma. The (admittedly) extreme counter-example I presented is true, unless he died today.

Yeesh.

please post any article you find about an elite athlete who smokes and drinks like that person

Meanwhile in today's news: Extreme athlete eats extreme diet! Who knew?

please post any article you find about an elite athlete who smokes and drinks like that person
Lots of elite athletes are omnivorous though. The presence of absence of animal products clearly isn’t the controlling factor for the quality of a diet.

Lots of elite athletes are omnivorous though. The presence of absence of animal products clearly isn’t the controlling factor for the quality of a diet.

the presence of animal products is a far cry from the standard american diet. most of us could do better

the presence of animal products is a far cry from the standard american diet. most of us could do better
While that fairly vapid statement is a simple statement of fact, it doesn’t really say anything, not least in relation to my post or the thread in general. You raised the topic of diet for elite athletes and that’s what I responded to. If you want to encourage a general improvement in the average person’s diet, I’d suggest that “militant veganism” tis entirely the wrong way to go about it, even if you do believe that is the ultimate best end goal.

This is what happens when you eat broccoli with steroid cream sauce.

Actually, exercise is an absolute necessity. Veganism is a fad that serves no purpose other than to create yet another useless political cause. Like transgenerism or social justice.

10354154_975606739151651_9207013054107268980_n.jpg

Eating practices of the best endurance athletes in the world | ACTIVE
Eat Like a Kenyan, Run Like a Kenyan | Competitor.com
https://www.ultrarunning.com/features/a-refresher-nutrition-course-for-ultrarunners/

Yet the norm for most world class athletes is to eat a balanced diet. I think that what annoys me most about most radical vegans like yourself, is that you push a diet that is not what our bodies are designed for. One that is not balanced. There is no doubt that the average American eats too much meat, but the answer to that isn't to eliminate meat, it's to achieve the proper balance. Too much meat is bad for you, not enough meat is bad for you (especially in our younger people). We need balance in our diet, not imbalance and what you push so hard for is completely unbalanced.

BTW - Why do you come to a political discussion forum to push a dietary agenda?? Shouldn't you be out there on forums that are oriented around nutrition???

Last edited:
BTW - Why do you come to a political discussion forum to push a dietary agenda?? Shouldn't you be out there on forums that are oriented around nutrition???

maybe you should learn how to read. this is the food section in the self help section

Back
Top Bottom