• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From flabby to fit, and how it pays to be that way

Herkamer63

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Since April 22nd of this year, I've been the keto diet, losing weight and becoming more fit than what I ever had before. For those not familiar with this diet, in short, keto is like the Atkins diet, which is a low carb diet. The difference is that keto is the more extreme version of it. Now, that doesn't mean no carbs at all, but it does mean you take even less carbs in and more fats. I couldn't even begin to tell you how cheese has helped me through this process. I was skeptical of this diet at first because I thought maybe it was just a fad and that's it. However, when I started doing it, the first month, I lost about 15-20 pounds. That made me believe that this can work, so long as I stick with it. I'll get into where I'm at in a few moments, but I got to tell ya, I'm glad I took the initiative to be more serious about my weight loss and being healthy in general. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Before I started any serious workouts or weight loss program, I topped off at around 330 pounds. Granted, I'm about 6'2, but even then, it was getting worse. I lost a friend back around 2007 or so due to an old medical condition he had. The doctors had said that he should of remained more physically active, although he looked like he was in better shape than me. Apparently, he wasn't working out nor had a good diet. Eventually, he developed a blood clot in his leg and passed away in his sleep. Not to mention a few years later my second oldest brother was getting married and I was getting older. A lot of things were being thrown at me and I realized I had to change my lifestyle. I started diet and work out. For a while I did pretty well. My lowest weight, at the time, was about 260 lbs (down from 330), so I was pretty happy. However, even though I loss a whole bunch of weight, food temptation was overwhelming. I ate and ate, and eventually got back up to about 290 lbs. Ouch. This was with working out. Goes to show that I got lazy and the best that I did was maintain. Well, all that changed half a year ago when I got onto keto and I learned so much more about dieting properly. It made me a believer that it works.

Today, I'm down to about 215 pounds (with 5 more to go and planning on toning my body). I've had more complements about how I looked than what I did the first time around. So how does this pay off in the end, you're asking. As a 33 year old single man, I feel great. People can't believe how much better I look. Not only that, and this will sound silly, I've been having more women checking me out than ever before. I've never had this much attention drawn to me before by beautiful looking women. In the pass few weeks, they had grabbed my butt, flirted with me, been playful with me, and one that is a partial business owner of one of the places here in town gave me the flirtatious tickle to the elbow while i was working. Not to mention people left and right trying to set me up with these beautiful women that they know or are related to.

The point is there are benefits to all this. Most importantly, you're healthy, happy, and more confident. People notice. If you are like what I was before, make those changes now. It's never too late.

I been on keto about 3 months now and have lost about 30lbs. I limit my calories to 1000 per day but i figure i end up consuming closer to 1500 because of hidden calories. I also combined intermittent fasting by only eating one meal per day. I have COPD so i can do much cardio but i do light isometrics, mostly push ups, about 10 a day.

I lost about 9" in my waste and probably about the same around my belly. Im losing about 2lbs a week but i have noticed my metabolism has slowed and im debating on either restricting my calories more or skipping 2 meals a week to keep the weight coming off. I got about 40-50lbs to go to hit my BMI target. Its a long road getting there.

Doing it has not been easy at all and with it im also making better dietary choices. Im eating lots of fish and avocados which im not to keen on them but i eat for health not taste.

The formula for a keto diets is 5% net carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. Notice i said net carbs because many vegtables contain insoluble carbs so its important to not count them so you get enough fiber in your diet.

Anyhow sounds like you're doing well on your diet. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's fantastic, good for you. I did the same and am still working on it. Stopping smoking was the biggest catalyst for me.

Since April 22nd of this year, I've been the keto diet, losing weight and becoming more fit than what I ever had before. For those not familiar with this diet, in short, keto is like the Atkins diet, which is a low carb diet. The difference is that keto is the more extreme version of it. Now, that doesn't mean no carbs at all, but it does mean you take even less carbs in and more fats. I couldn't even begin to tell you how cheese has helped me through this process. I was skeptical of this diet at first because I thought maybe it was just a fad and that's it. However, when I started doing it, the first month, I lost about 15-20 pounds. That made me believe that this can work, so long as I stick with it. I'll get into where I'm at in a few moments, but I got to tell ya, I'm glad I took the initiative to be more serious about my weight loss and being healthy in general. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Before I started any serious workouts or weight loss program, I topped off at around 330 pounds. Granted, I'm about 6'2, but even then, it was getting worse. I lost a friend back around 2007 or so due to an old medical condition he had. The doctors had said that he should of remained more physically active, although he looked like he was in better shape than me. Apparently, he wasn't working out nor had a good diet. Eventually, he developed a blood clot in his leg and passed away in his sleep. Not to mention a few years later my second oldest brother was getting married and I was getting older. A lot of things were being thrown at me and I realized I had to change my lifestyle. I started diet and work out. For a while I did pretty well. My lowest weight, at the time, was about 260 lbs (down from 330), so I was pretty happy. However, even though I loss a whole bunch of weight, food temptation was overwhelming. I ate and ate, and eventually got back up to about 290 lbs. Ouch. This was with working out. Goes to show that I got lazy and the best that I did was maintain. Well, all that changed half a year ago when I got onto keto and I learned so much more about dieting properly. It made me a believer that it works.

Today, I'm down to about 215 pounds (with 5 more to go and planning on toning my body). I've had more complements about how I looked than what I did the first time around. So how does this pay off in the end, you're asking. As a 33 year old single man, I feel great. People can't believe how much better I look. Not only that, and this will sound silly, I've been having more women checking me out than ever before. I've never had this much attention drawn to me before by beautiful looking women. In the pass few weeks, they had grabbed my butt, flirted with me, been playful with me, and one that is a partial business owner of one of the places here in town gave me the flirtatious tickle to the elbow while i was working. Not to mention people left and right trying to set me up with these beautiful women that they know or are related to.

The point is there are benefits to all this. Most importantly, you're healthy, happy, and more confident. People notice. If you are like what I was before, make those changes now. It's never too late.

Good for you. Diet and exercise are critical to weight control.
It has to be a lifelong endeavor.

Not just for a few months or a year or 2.
Else it will come right back on.

I'll say this, it's actually kind of nice wearing smaller clothing now. I actually had to go to the non-big and tall section just to get the right length for my pants (36 x 32 is what I can wear now and it isn't tight nor bulges my belly). It's gonna be an expensive period when it comes to buying new clothes, but it'll be worth it.

BTW, in case if anyone is interested in what I do:

-2 hour workouts everyday (spread out throughout the day which include early mornings, weekends may vary).

-Mondays are Chick-Fil-A days (12 pc grilled chicken nuggets with buffalo sauce).

-Tuesdays are wing nights (find a place that has 50% off price of wings on certain days).

-Cardio and weightlifting with dumb bells (amount of weight varies depending on the workout) and weight bars (also varies), and if you don't have dumb bells, believe or not, sealed paint/varnish cans are decent substitutes, and I do some shadow boxing.

-Swimming at my local YMCA, but if I'm unable to swim due to swim classes or practices, I will either jump in the hot tub with those devices that look like dumb bells but offer buoyancy resistance and do various workouts with those or I jump in the steam and do some sit-ups and other ground workouts (make sure to jump out of either one to cool down and preventing yourself from passing out, it takes a lot out of you).

-Cheese is a BIG help with this diet because it's less than 1 carb and it's filling enough, but make sure it's not processed cheese because that does have a decent amount of carbs.

-I will do Monsters (I know, hear me out though), but I spread them out throughout to help clear out my system (make sure, if you do them, they're zero calories and zero sugar), and I will also do diet soft drinks to treat myself because they are 0 carbs and calories.

-I will also do a water regulating supplement in case if my body is being stubborn and isn't getting rid of the excess water that lingers (just make sure to have water during the day).

-Atkins meals help in case if you need something in your stomach, but be aware of how much you take in, same goes with cauliflower crust pizza because there are more carbs in those things than what's being advertised (if there is a pizza place that has keto friendly pizza, where they don't use a crust but instead just do it with the toppings, do that instead).

-There are many foods created specifically for keto, and much of it can be stuff you like, so be on the look out for that.

Last piece of what I did and the most important advise I can give, whether it's keto or not, give yourself a good excuse to lose the weight. Find out why you want to be on it and execute it.

To give an exmple of one of mine, save for my youngest sibling (he has autism and not high on the spectrum so you'll see what I'm talking about), 3 of my brothers (out of 5 boys) got married, so that makes me the oddball (I'm the middle child so I AM weird). 2 of my brothers have kids. I don't mind at all being an uncle nor a brother in law, but being called a husband and father both have a nice ring. I will go ahead and admit it on here: I never had a girlfriend. That doesn't mean I never tried, but it never happened despite my best efforts. Sure, there were women that had shown interest in me, but when they ALL had multiple kids with different dads, that's a turnoff. So with this weight loss plan, not only are my chances of getting a woman are better, but also my chances of finding the right woman are better because I demonstrated that I take care of my body and health (and will continue to do so). This also goes along with a good work habit, obviously (for me, two jobs, one in the health field, the other with the special needs field, and hopefully my friends and I come up with a third job).

If just wanting to become healthy and fit is your motivation, then have at it. Plan out your food, figure out what workouts are good for you, figure out times, and start on a Monday. That's what I did. Think of it as less dieting and working out, and more of a lifestyle. That's going to help. I'll say one more thing: being big and having a wishful thinking mindset won't work. I know this because I tried. 115 lbs ago, I thought I could ONLY get by with charm, intelligence, and a down to earth attitude would get me what I was looking for. It didn't. Today, I'm lighter, stronger, more fit, and more attractive to women (read the first post on here to see what I'm saying) than ever before, despite having a ways to go to be where I want to be (but it's happening). I'm not trying to sound narcissistic nor arrogant, but I'm telling anyone that is in the situation I was years ago, I would suggest making those changes. it doesn't have to be keto, but something that works for you and makes you, ultimately, happy or happier. Trust me, it's worth the time and you to appreciate it!

General FYI: it's (extremely) highly advisable to work with a doctor on a true keto diet. I say "true" because most people who think they're doing it right are not, and doing it right actually has a number of serious health risks. It should be well-managed and supervised.

I could drop about 40 lbs. I like to lift and do cardio. I do both every day, and I just can't imagine trying to do them on low carbs. I tried it once and I was weak and lethargic as a kitten, and my joints hurt. I couldn't even cycle up the first hill. But I'm not losing with what I'm doing. I eat a ton. I feel like I have to or I will starve. I don't eat any junk food, just too much of what I do eat. And if I don't eat enough at night, I wake up hungry.

Back
Top Bottom