• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From a place you cannot see comes a sound you cannot hear.

Supposed to be a sniper and spotter. (Sorry, I thought it would be clear. And why would it?? Ha!)

Oh, ok - because I thought I saw what looks like a little lion face beside the big round grey rock in the bottom left quadrant but that wouldn't be a sniper.

Looks like one in the top right quadrant, wearing charcoal/grey with a Tilley type floppy hat.

Okay! I see that one. Looks like one can even see a scope. ? Someone said there was a spotter, too. Maybe Woodman will weigh in.

Oh, ok - because I thought I saw what looks like a little lion face beside the big round grey rock in the bottom left quadrant but that wouldn't be a sniper.

:agree: He looks more like a spotter using a telescope to find the sniper. :Good disguise! :thumbs:

Okay! I see that one. Looks like one can even see a scope. ? Someone said there was a spotter, too. Maybe Woodman will weigh in.

I was going to say it could be below him, in the bottom right quadrant, looks like a head with a combat helmet and a bandana around the face - you can almost see eyes above the bandana, but that might be nothing. I'm still wondering what that lion from the Wizard of Oz is doing over there in the bottom left.

Looks like one in the top right quadrant, wearing charcoal/grey with a Tilley type floppy hat.

Is that a grinning wolf in the upper right quadrant, or a sniper disguised as one? Reminds me of the Rambo movies!

Yes, I see them. They are good, but they aren't invisible.

I don't see that one Lady P - are you still on your meds? :lol:

Look at the long flat rock near the top of the lower right quadrant. He's to the right of the big rock sitting atop the flat rock, grinning. Maybe I need to get some meds, cause I see a cobra head at the bottom, too. :lamo:

On either side of the big rock in the center; sniper on the right, you can see his muzzle next to the rock and the spotter on the left, you can make out his left hand holding his scope.

Too late! All that's left is the toothy grin. Better luck next time.
(and thanks to the little boys playing hide-and-seek for sharing)

Playing 'Where's Waldo' is fun for all but not very realistic- it is posing for the camera rather than actual good technique.

Snipers train by moving into firing positions under observation. They are not high speed/low drag but rather very low speed and if ghillied extremely high drag. The spotter lines up as close as he can get over the shoulder of the sniper so they have as close to the same line of sight as practical. That is to better observe trace, as being able to figure out just how you missed is more important than confirming a hit in real world scenarios.

There is a bit of movement as the team prepares for an engagement. The spotter calculates range to target with a laser range finder as well as determines wind speed to compensate for it. He uses cheat sheets or a PDA for his math. So he is moving between spotting scope, LRF and a booklet/PDA. He is very busy during a shoot.

Sniper of course has to use the dials on his scope- elevation on top, windage to the right and side focus on his left. If he is old school he can avoid dialing and use the mildot system in his scope for holds. Most who are so trained can engage out to 600 yards never touching the dial. if he is REAL old school he can use the mildots to range the target.

Firing can give the sniper team away, even is suppressed. The hip/cool semis fling the brass out in a rather impressive arc that can catch sun and flash the sniper location. The use of a very light cover cloth, too heavy and the round can foul the ejector port and cause a failure to feed, to drop the brass under concealment is popular but one more thing to rig or keep straight. Bolt guns are easier to control of course, but even then a special technique is used to pluck the brass rather than let it eject.

The sniper rifle isn't silent either, even suppressed, 44 (+-) grains of powder does make noise- just not a sharp crack. One thing the suppressor can't alter is the bullet is flying at supersonic speeds. The crack as it breaks the sound barrier all the way downrange until it goes trans-sonic can be a dead give away.

But such pics, generally found in ads for some new propriety camouflage a company would like to sell the Uncle Sam, are fun to play with. :peace

View attachment 67151432

Clear as day. They need to go back to sniper school and go over concealment again.

I think they've got concealment down pretty well....and cover as well.

we're looking at a still shot at somewhat close range and it's still tough to make 'em out....at range, they'd be virtually invisible.

I think they've got concealment down pretty well....and cover as well.

we're looking at a still shot at somewhat close range and it's still tough to make 'em out....at range, they'd be virtually invisible.

Looking at it from a distance, they would be nearly impossible to spot from over 300 meters.

Back
Top Bottom