• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

frivolous lawsuit

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Woman calls cops because son was acting erratically. Cops get there, shoot and kill the son and now the cop is suing the woman for mental anguish... as if he didn't know the duties of his job or something.

Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was a prediction.

Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was a prediction.

I've always said that it wasn't a movie, it was a republican documentary. Being that there are only three or four companies that exist and the people in the white house staff are making money by mentioning a corporation. lol

Being a cop you assume the risk of a certain amount of injury with the job. I cannot imagine this going far.

Being a cop you assume the risk of a certain amount of injury with the job. I cannot imagine this going far.

Could be a pre-emptive lawsuit for when they sue him cause you know it is going to happen.

Could be a pre-emptive lawsuit for when they sue him cause you know it is going to happen.

I don't know if that is a wise decision. Could end up hurting credibility.

The silly lawsuit aside, why on earth do people ingest or smoke bath salts? At what point does that sound like a good idea??

The silly lawsuit aside, why on earth do people ingest or smoke bath salts? At what point does that sound like a good idea??

Sometime after the heroin kicks and right before you buy paint.

I don't know if that is a wise decision. Could end up hurting credibility.

But it would be leverage to a settlement if they file suit against him. No matter how right you are, people get really freaked out when they get sued for tons o'money cause you just never know.

A lot of colleges have banned bath salts. They treat it the same way they would illegal drugs as far as disciplinary proceedings. Apparently that high you get is from you almost if not completely dying in the process :shrug:

I think you wisely phrased it as "a certain amount" of injury. I think it's possible, depending on the circumstances like how the 911 call was phoned in, for example, that the family placed these officers in a dangerous position in a way that might warrant civil damages. Not simply by asking them to do their job, but by not adequately indicating what type of backup might be required, misleading them as to the seriousness of the situation, etc.

It's possible this is a completely ridiculous case. But I wouldn't dismiss it summarily just yet.

Woman calls cops because son was acting erratically. Cops get there, shoot and kill the son and now the cop is suing the woman for mental anguish... as if he didn't know the duties of his job or something.

that's pretty bad. back here in SW Ohio a couple decades ago, a woman called the North College Hill (a suburb of Cincinnati-middle class-mixed ethnicity neighborhood) police because her adult son was going whacko and threatening her with a butcher knife. A guy I know (I cannot recall if he was the Chief at the time) had to take the call. 6 times he told the whackjob to put his knife down The nutcase charged. Paul Toth was a really good shot. One DOA nut job-later determined to be suicide by cop IIRC. the mother sued the Department for wrongful death

"I wanted them to subdue him". sorry this was pre tazer days. butcher knives in close quarters are pure hell on humans

Two deputies, including Pullen, who were called to help struggled with Yazar and used a Taser on him, officials said then. Both deputies fired shots at him, killing him. Pullen was injured and taken to a hospital for treatment of a concussion, cuts and a bite.

(snip)

Corina Padilla, Figueroa's cousin, offered a different version of events.

She said that Yazar, 46, was suffering from stress and depression and had drunk some tea that caused him to have hallucinations.

"At no moment did Kemal assault the officer," she said. "An unarmed man, a family guy, father and husband of three girls was killed. He had no criminal record. He was self-employed in import-export of very expensive rugs from Turkey and Persia."

Padilla called the lawsuit "outrageous," saying that Pullen "could have prevented it from happening, but he murdered our family member. Not only that, but he has the audacity to sue for money because he got injured when he was responding to the call."

I wonder how cousin Padilla thinks the officer was bitten when responding to the call if he was at no point assaulted.

Well, I was curious about that and your question triggered a search in which I found this:
"Bath salts" (known alternately as "plant food" or "meow meow") are sold in powder form that can be eaten, snorted, smoked, or injected. The street names don't describe one specific drug, but rather could refer to either mephedrone (a synthetic stimulant) or methylenedioxypyrovalerone (known as MDPV, a stimulant and psychoactive drug). Each of these purports to produce effects similar to the euphoria of MDMA (Ecstasy) and the alertness of cocaine or amphetamines. They are not hallucinogens.

I'll probably catch hell for this comment but it sounds really great:3oops: I'm in my dotage and past my adventurous years but IF you've ever tried (and succeeded) taking Ecstasy and speed, then you know that it's quite an adventure. You love everyone, your friends are the best, you're as happy as a lark and music vibrates directly to your soul. Apparently this blend can trigger a really, really bad trip and I'd think most people taking Meow-Meow (I had to say it) would be smart enough to realize that drugs require companions. If you're off doing drugs all by yourself, you really do have a stupid problem.

What WOULD seem a valid lawsuit IF the officer was attacked is a valid lawsuit for any victim of a violent crime (or any other crime). The officer (victim) could sue the ESTATE of the assailant.

More victims should bring civil suits. Even if the criminal has nothing now, it destroys that person's credit and the person may have something in the future. If the officer sued the man's ESTATE, in a sense he is going after assets the man had, and the article suggests he was wealthy.

The news story may have misreported the nature of the lawsuit the officer filed, and if it a lawsuit against the ESTATE/the deceased, then the exector/trix would be served, as possibly would any beneficiaries.

That would NOT be a frivolous lawsuit. You can sue a dead person in the sense of suing their estate. Death does not eliminate debts nor tort liabilities.

I think you wisely phrased it as "a certain amount" of injury. I think it's possible, depending on the circumstances like how the 911 call was phoned in, for example, that the family placed these officers in a dangerous position in a way that might warrant civil damages. Not simply by asking them to do their job, but by not adequately indicating what type of backup might be required, misleading them as to the seriousness of the situation, etc.

It's possible this is a completely ridiculous case. But I wouldn't dismiss it summarily just yet.

Based on the article what happened falls within the line of duty I would say. It would have to be pretty unusual for him to win this lawsuit.

I've no idea why people want to destroy their liver and kidneys in order for them to temporarily feel out of control. Makes no damn sense to me.

I've no idea why people want to destroy their liver and kidneys in order for them to temporarily feel out of control. Makes no damn sense to me.
Scotch never makes me feel out of control, the exact opposite actually.

Scotch never makes me feel out of control, the exact opposite actually.

I think there's a huge difference between a (most) "schedule I" drugs and a glass of scotch though.

I think there's a huge difference between a (most) "schedule I" drugs and a glass of scotch though.
Just pointing out that humanity loves a good drug even if it kills us. We love to get out of ourselves for a time, even if the cost is potential death.

Just pointing out that humanity loves a good drug even if it kills us. We love to get out of ourselves for a time, even if the cost is potential death.

Yeah... I've never understood addiction. I know it exists but I can't wrap my head around being able to see yourself rapidly deteriorating in a mirror and still being fine with no adjustment. I spent my early 20's drinking damn heavily to party it up but it gets to a point that you realize... "this just sucks and it's a dead end" and you move on. I just can't grasp addiction. It's perhaps a weakness in me not being very empathetic in this area and God speed to those who are better at understanding this for others' sake.

Did you read the article? It gives me the impression you are correct about this.

Yup, happened right here in Houston, a town in which the motto of the police is "The badge means you can kill". This is the home of some of the worst police abuses ever documented in America. This is where Jose Campos Torres was handcuffed and thrown into Buffalo Bayou, where he drowned, while the cops who threw him yelled "Let's see if this wetback can swim". This is also where you can be stone cold sober and still end up in court for DWI if a cop doesn't happen to like you. I had my own DWI reversed by the court after the same dumb ass cop did the same thing to a woman who happened to be a secretary at the FBI office here. When the Feds did their investigation, they found 27 more cases where the cop had done the same thing. Lucky for me, mine happened to be one of them. The DWI against me was dismissed, but not until I had shelled out 15 thousand bucks and completed all of my 2 years of probation for it. The cop was fired and prosecuted for official oppression, and the police department of Tomball (The Houston suburb where this happened) was put under Federal oversight. Supposedly, they have now cleaned up their act, but I still drive miles out of my way to avoid driving through there. LOL.

Where it comes to police abuse of power, Houston, and the surrounding area, is second to none.

As for that crooked cop's lawsuit, it will be quickly laughed out of court, and I hope that the family has their own day in court with that asswipe.

Last edited:
I've always said that it wasn't a movie, it was a republican documentary. Being that there are only three or four companies that exist and the people in the white house staff are making money by mentioning a corporation. lol

Republican? You elected a comedian, Marion Berry, and Anthony Weiner.

Back
Top Bottom