• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Friendship vs Dream

I have this unpleasant habit of telling young idealists more truth than they're generally willing to hear. :)

In other words you break their spirit and hope, so you're mean. :lol: Just kidding.

In other words you break their spirit and hope, so you're mean. :lol: Just kidding.

Well, not mean on purpose really.

I do get rather tired of the way so many people blow smoke up the rectal orfices of the young, telling them they're the future and they're going to change the world and all this horse crap. Then they get them believing it... and then they get out of school into the real world and are just crushed to discover that hardly anyone gives a **** what they think, and hardly anyone will let them run anything or make any major decisions for many years yet, and that telling mature people their "new world dream" is more likely to result in rolled eyes and yawns that rapt wonder.

Then in the press of paying bills and paying off student loans and struggling to make a living, they will compromise a lot of things they held dear when they were still insulated from reality by the cushion of parental support and the artificial environment of school in order to live... and how living comfortably and trying to hack out a little security in an uncertain world will push their dreams out of their mind eventually.

For most, anyway. There are a lucky few who get to live their dreams.... but mostly because their dreams were relatively modest to begin with. A dream that starts with "I will change the world..." is a red flag indicator of someone who is going to get crushed when they encounter real life.

Oops, I did it again. :mrgreen:

If your best friend and you had different, maybe contradicting visions. what would you do?
Speakin of "vision", I am referrinng to a lifetime career, not just simply which movie to see at the weekend. Would you compromise to maintain your friendship, or walk your own path, despite knowing that your best friend might one day become your arch enemy?
From what I know, those who choose the latter do not usually end up happlily. We have Mark Zuckerberg vs Eduardo Saverin in "the social network", and Liu Bei vs Cao Cao in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". Yet I also find it hard to give up my dream for someone else.
I am working on a project about this topic, so I would appreciate any constructive opinion.
Thanks a lot! :mrgreen:

The devil made me do this :mrgreen:

Well, not mean on purpose really.

I do get rather tired of the way so many people blow smoke up the rectal orfices of the young, telling them they're the future and they're going to change the world and all this horse crap. Then they get them believing it... and then they get out of school into the real world and are just crushed to discover that hardly anyone gives a **** what they think, and hardly anyone will let them run anything or make any major decisions for many years yet, and that telling mature people their "new world dream" is more likely to result in rolled eyes and yawns that rapt wonder.

Then in the press of paying bills and paying off student loans and struggling to make a living, they will compromise a lot of things they held dear when they were still insulated from reality by the cushion of parental support and the artificial environment of school in order to live... and how living comfortably and trying to hack out a little security in an uncertain world will push their dreams out of their mind eventually.

For most, anyway. There are a lucky few who get to live their dreams.... but mostly because their dreams were relatively modest to begin with. A dream that starts with "I will change the world..." is a red flag indicator of someone who is going to get crushed when they encounter real life.

Oops, I did it again. :mrgreen:

Hey, some people get lucky in life. With that attitude you might as lie down for your dirt nap now. :lol:

Of course, if your dreams are to change the world, that's a pretty lofty goal, but some people get to live out their dreams, or some of them anyway. Realizing that some of your dreams are unattainable is just part of growing up IMO.

Hey, some people get lucky in life. With that attitude you might as lie down for your dirt nap now. :lol:

Of course, if your dreams are to change the world, that's a pretty lofty goal, but some people get to live out their dreams, or some of them anyway. Realizing that some of your dreams are unattainable is just part of growing up IMO.

Sure, there are people who dream big and go on to live out their dream.

But they are RARE... and usually they have a set of uncommon characteristics going for them, like unusually high intelligence and drive, remarkable talents and will, a strong support system helping them get started, and a clear vision of HOW they're going to get there.

Those rare beings will not be deterred by my little Debbie-downer dose of reality. :)

But you have millions of young folks who are NOT among that rare breed of supremely-talented strong-willed driven types, who still buy into the "Look out world, here I come!" hype handed out by commencement speakers and educators, who stumble out into the world in their late teens or early twenties expecting to be taken seriously and given authority and power and wealth and respect.... because they are young and have what they think are new ideas, even though they have nothing to back it up.

They're SPECIAL, because.... well, just because dammit! :roll:

And they're met with weary yawns and eye rolls and told to get back to work and quit trying to fix what isn't broken, and it bweaks their pwecious widdle hearts.... because they've had all this smoke blown up their rectums about how important and special they are when most people are NOT.

Not in the sense of making the world sit up and take notice anyway.

Sure, there are people who dream big and go on to live out their dream.

But they are RARE... and usually they have a set of uncommon characteristics going for them, like unusually high intelligence and drive, remarkable talents and will, a strong support system helping them get started, and a clear vision of HOW they're going to get there.

Those rare beings will not be deterred by my little Debbie-downer dose of reality. :)

But you have millions of young folks who are NOT among that rare breed of supremely-talented strong-willed driven types, who still buy into the "Look out world, here I come!" hype handed out by commencement speakers and educators, who stumble out into the world in their late teens or early twenties expecting to be taken seriously and given authority and power and wealth and respect.... because they are young and have what they think are new ideas, even though they have nothing to back it up.

They're SPECIAL, because.... well, just because dammit! :roll:

And they're met with weary yawns and eye rolls and told to get back to work and quit trying to fix what isn't broken, and it bweaks their pwecious widdle hearts.... because they've had all this smoke blown up their rectums about how important and special they are when most people are NOT.

Not in the sense of making the world sit up and take notice anyway.

Are you saying I'll never be a princess? :(

Go your own way, friends will come and go, Live YOUR life.

Back
Top Bottom