• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freshman on H.S. Varsity Teams?

aheimermann

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I am running a poll this week on my website that asks the following question:

Should Freshman Be Allowed on H.S. Varsity Teams?

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. Do you think that freshman students should be allowed to play on varsity sports teams in high school?

I personally think that freshman should either be on Freshman or Junior Varsity sports teams duirng their first year of high school.

Last edited:

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. Do you think that freshman students should be allowed to play on varsity sports teams in high school?

Why not? If they can make the team, I don't see how it harms anyone by allowing them to play varsity instead of JV.

I personally think that freshman should either be on Freshman or Junior Varsity sports teams duirng their first year of high school.

Students and coaches should follow the state laws and athletic board rules.

That being said --

Only the private, prep schools in our area have Freshman on their varsity FB teams.

With the public schools, no Freshman player is ready for that, not even the boys that were held back so they'd be a year older.

And if you had some phenom player, 6'1" 185lbs running back, why would you risk injury?

Because, it's your first year of high school.

New school, new people, grades, and such.

I see how those things could be concerns, but if a player, his family, and the coach take all those things into consideration and still decide that the freshman is ready to play varsity, I don't think he should be prevented from doing so.

I went to a small public school where the elementary, middle, and high schools were right next to each other, so maybe it's just that the transition from 8th to 9th grade didn't seem like a big deal to me. We had a fair number of freshmen playing varsity because there were a few sports where we didn't have JV squads. There were also a few freshmen who were just plain outstanding and deserved to be on varsity anyways. For many of them it was a necessity, as they planned to transfer to prep schools after 11th grade in order to get college scholarships. If they had been forced to play JV in their freshman year, they would have seriously damaged their chances of getting accepted.

Last edited:
Why not? Freshman have the ability to significantly improved your team so why not? You say it affects their grades but the same time committment is needed for JV and Varsity so that doesn't matter.

You lost a spot on your varsity team to a Freshman did you?

If the coach sees that a Freshman is better than a Junior and Senior who are 2 and 3 years old, then the J/S should be on the bench because apparently they didn't learn something.

If they are capable and make the team, I see no reason to stop them. If they are more qualified than another student, why give that student the spot, instead?

don't see any reason why they should not be able to perform at their full potential
the reasons the OP cited did not address that

Because, it's your first year of high school.

New school, new people, grades, and such.

I was a four-year letterman in Cross Country and Track and Field, lettered 3 years in soccer... I was also in several AP classes and my gpa was fairly high, 3.5 or 3.6. I gained valuable experience that I think enabled me to get a partial track scholarship to university. Why should I have missed out since I was faster than most? We went to the state championship and as a freshman I was on the 4x400 meter relay team that set the school and district record that I think is still standing almost 20 years later. It was a couple of years ago, at least.

Academics come first. If a person, any person, can't maintain a C average, they are not allowed to play sports. End of story.

Of course they should play varsity if they can make the team. Good athletes have already spent years in developmental leagues preparing for high school athletics. They don't need more development as much as the opportunity to show off their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom