• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freshman GOPer: Hey, Where's My Health Care?

FilmFestGuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Freshman GOPer: Hey, Where's My Health Care?

Maryland physician Andy Harris (R) just soundly defeated Frank Kratovil, one of the most endangered Democrats on Capitol Hill going into the November election. And he did it in large part by railing against 'Obamacare' and pledging to repeal Health Care Reform. But when he showed on Capitol Hill today for an orientation for incoming members of Congress and their staffs, he had a different question: Where's my government health care?

Oh, no...what's he going to do without insurance for a month?

What I want to know is why we have to pay their healthcare in the first place. If these "small government" candidates want to put their money where their mouths are, the first thing they need to do is eliminate healthcare coverage for all Representatives and Senators.

Let them purchase it on the market, like they want everyone else to.

What a sad little thread. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a new employee asking when his benefits will kick in. I think that is a question most of us would have when we start a new job.

you are correct, except when that new employee wants to deny others healthcare.

According to Glenn Thrush of Politico, Harris created a stir at the orientation meeting by demanding to know why he had to wait a month after he was sworn in in January for his government-subsidized health care to kick in. After responding in a huff, he even asked if there was some way he could buy into the government care in advance, seemingly thinking there might be a government program similar to the so-called 'public option' championed by progressive Democrats in 2009.

According to an unnamed congressional staffer quoted by Thrush, Harris stood up at the meeting "and asked the two ladies who were answering questions why it had to take so long, what he would do without 28 days of health care."

If it really happened as described then this guy needs to come back down to earth. Most jobs require a waiting period before your healthcare kicks in.

But, this was some anonymous staffer and I try to never take those kinds of accusations seriously...

If it really happened as described then this guy needs to come back down to earth. Most jobs require a waiting period before your healthcare kicks in.

But, this was some anonymous staffer and I try to never take those kinds of accusations seriously...

I don't take it wholly seriously, but I do find it funny that he's apparently worried about being without coverage for 28 days.

Freakin' buy individual coverage for you and your family for one month, douche. Don't rely on the taxpayer to pay for it for you.

But I do like how everyone ignores my call for these so-called small government candidates to put up or shut up. But they won't. They'll cut spending except when it's on them. Same as Rand Paul who wants to cut government spending but NOT the rate government pays him for Medicare patients.

This faux movement is all about "I'll get mine and deny you yours". They want to figure out a way to line their own pockets while the middle class continues to struggle. How long before they vote themselves raises? Let's see...

Except he's not wanting to deny people health care in a similar way to what he's asking. To my understanding this congressman isn't for disallowing employee's from offering health care to their employees. More than that, I don't believe he's come out against the federal government offering federal employee's health care. What he's against is the federal government offering citizens health care simply for being citizens or involving the government further into the health care business itself.

This is like saying that the guy couldn't ask "Where's the bathroom" because he's against people going to the bathroom because he's in favor of laws that don't allow you to piss in the middle of the street.

Except he's not wanting to deny people health care in a similar way to what he's asking. To my understanding this congressman isn't for disallowing employee's from offering health care to their employees. More than that, I don't believe he's come out against the federal government offering federal employee's health care. What he's against is the federal government offering citizens health care simply for being citizens or involving the government further into the health care business itself.

This is like saying that the guy couldn't ask "Where's the bathroom" because he's against people going to the bathroom because he's in favor of laws that don't allow you to piss in the middle of the street.

He did ask if there was a public option he could buy into until his subsidized healthcare for life kicks in - I assume from everything he said on the campaign trail that he's against the public option and all the death panels it would bring us.

but he does want to deny healthcare to citizens, the very people he is supposed to work FOR. and of COURSE he won't come out against the federal gov't providing HIS healthcare, how silly would that be? he just wants to limit the options of the people he works for. he has indoor plumbing, his constituents have outhouses, and he'll be damned if they get to use toilet paper instead of the good old sears and roebuck.

but he does want to deny healthcare to citizens, the very people he is supposed to work FOR.

Right, and those people he works FOR probably elected him to deny that ability. Just giving **** to people doesn't = doing what's best for them in all cases. So what if he wants to deny healthcare to citizens from the government? That has nothing to do with asking his employer about health care benefits. They're not the same thing.

and of COURSE he won't come out against the federal gov't providing HIS healthcare, how silly would that be?

Not about HIS health care.

Find me any quote by him suggesting federal employees in general shouldn't be given health care options similar to private enterprise? Find me quotes of him suggesting that postal workers be denied having health care offered to them. Or FBI agents? Or administrative staff for the General Service Administration.

Not wanting the government to supply health care to everyone != not wanting employers to help supplement health care cost of employees

he just wants to limit the options of the people he works for

And guess what, they likely voted for him to limit that option. I know I voted for my guy to limit my option. Actually, most of the recent votes I've cast was to limit my options that the government provides. Because I think that would be BETTER for me and the country than the alternative.

he has indoor plumbing, his constituents have outhouses, and he'll be damned if they get to use toilet paper instead of the good old sears and roebuck.

No, he has an employer that offers health insurance. Some of his constitutents have employers that offer health insurance. If he didn't have an employer, he wouldn't have someone helping with health insurance, just like his constituents.

You're trying to compare the government providing insurance for everyone to employers helping subsidize a persons health care plan. Those things are as different as employees offering bathrooms to their employees to use and people just being allowed to piss in the streets.

There's something fishy about this story.
He didn't have his own insurance for himself and his family before he was elected? He's a physician right?
Are they saying he decided to rail against Obamacare to get elected so he would have healthcare?
Maybe it was a joke? I went to my doctor shortly after the bill passed. When paying the bill, I said " hey, isn't Obama paying for this now?"
I certainly hope they knew I was joking.

Right, and those people he works FOR probably elected him to deny that ability. Just giving **** to people doesn't = doing what's best for them in all cases. So what if he wants to deny healthcare to citizens from the government? That has nothing to do with asking his employer about health care benefits. They're not the same thing.

Not about HIS health care.

Find me any quote by him suggesting federal employees in general shouldn't be given health care options similar to private enterprise? Find me quotes of him suggesting that postal workers be denied having health care offered to them. Or FBI agents? Or administrative staff for the General Service Administration.

Not wanting the government to supply health care to everyone != not wanting employers to help supplement health care cost of employees

And guess what, they likely voted for him to limit that option. I know I voted for my guy to limit my option. Actually, most of the recent votes I've cast was to limit my options that the government provides. Because I think that would be BETTER for me and the country than the alternative.

No, he has an employer that offers health insurance. Some of his constitutents have employers that offer health insurance. If he didn't have an employer, he wouldn't have someone helping with health insurance, just like his constituents.

You're trying to compare the government providing insurance for everyone to employers helping subsidize a persons health care plan. Those things are as different as employees offering bathrooms to their employees to use and people just being allowed to piss in the streets.

actually, zyph, you are taking this far too seriously. it started out as something kinda funny, at least to me.

actually, zyph, you are taking this far too seriously. it started out as something kinda funny, at least to me.

Of course he is.. one of his heros got caught with his pants down, so he has to defend him with what ever means necessary.

As for the OP post... typical right wing hypocrite.

I think the issue is really this:

Congressman/Senator-elect comes to DC joking or otherwise about receiving his free gov't health care yet campaigned against the citizens having same at gov't's expense. Those who desperately need health care see this as a slap in the face, whether he was joking or not, whether the situation happened exactly as reported or not.

I think most Americans understand that elected public officials, specifically those elected to Congress, are employed by the People. As such, our tax dollars go to pay for the very employee benefits they enjoy. I think what most middle-class Americans have been saying concerning government-sponsored health care is, "If it's good enough for you, why isn't it good enough for me? Why can't I have good, high quality health care that is on par with what my tax dollars pay for you, Mr/Mrs. Congressman/woman/Senator?" It's the very reason many people pushed to ensure that our elected officials in Washington had to get their health care from the very same source as they expect us to obtain it - via the HIEs. But to have a Congressman/Senator-elect come to DC and on his first day seek to obtain the very "entitlement" he campaigned against...

That's wrong!

The counter-argument, in-part, has been remove employer-sponsored health care and allow employees to either fund their own health care using health savings accounts or purchase their health insurance on the open market. Either wouldn't be bad ideas if the insurance markets would change their practises and allow individuals to become part of "group" plans or just purchase individual policies like we do with auto or home/renters insurance. But the health insurance/health care system won't reliquish that market power base. Thus, the only real way for middle-class Americans (if not all Americans) to obtain government-sponsored health care would be if the majority agreed to have a portion of our income tax go towards government-run health care. Otherwise, it will never happen.

And so, we get what we have here...hypocrisy at it's finest. Vote/campaign again the citizens receiving gov't run health care, but as a newly elected member to Congress my taxpayer funded health care had better be there.

Last edited:

There really is nothing funny about it, unless you stretch the facts beyond all recognition. He was a new employee inquiring about his health care benefits. That's standard practice for anyone taking on a new job. His stance on creating a massive new entitlement program is irrelevant. As Zyph said, if you can find a campaign statement where he said he was in favor of repealing health care benefits for federal employees, then, yes, he would be a hypocrite of the highest degree.

As for the people he works for, the Republicans have been openly against Obamacare since day one. The people who elected him knew this and apparently agreed with him, but I'm willing to wager they didn't elect him with the expecation that he decline his benefits as a federal employee. The only people who find this "amusing" or "hypocritical" are the ones so blinded by partisanship that they can't look at the facts objectively.

There really is nothing funny about it, unless you stretch the facts beyond all recognition. He was a new employee inquiring about his health care benefits. That's standard practice for anyone taking on a new job. His stance on creating a massive new entitlement program is irrelevant. As Zyph said, if you can find a campaign statement where he said he was in favor of repealing health care benefits for federal employees, then, yes, he would be a hypocrite of the highest degree.

As for the people he works for, the Republicans have been openly against Obamacare since day one. The people who elected him knew this and apparently agreed with him, but I'm willing to wager they didn't elect him with the expecation that he decline his benefits as a federal employee. The only people who find this "amusing" or "hypocritical" are the ones so blinded by partisanship that they can't look at the facts objectively.

or just possibly, some people really don't give a **** and just think it's funny. everything isn't life or death, you know.

Yes.. GOPers want to deny everyone health care... yup.. you sure know what you're talking about alrighty. :rolleyes:

now, now, did i post EVERYONE? of course not.

Ahh. My fault. We were all just joking around and not making accusational statements about the situation without any indication of joking. Lets me go back and look at it with a better eye.

OH! I get it...its funny cause...um.....eh........

Okay, sorry liblady, I don't see anything anywhere in your post or others indicating this was a joke or people just having fun with it unless by "having fun" you mean "Railing agaisnt republicans as hypocrites when its not really the case".

What the guy did has nothing to do with government supplied health care for the masses. You and others tried to play the guy out as some kind of hypocrite or two face and then when got called on it are now back tracking. The post was in the *BN* Blogs section, not the lighter side. Discussion of it wasn't littered with winky emoticons or tons of honest LOL's indicating that everything was in fun. I see a lot of people trying to make a point that somehow this is hypocritical of republicans to have such a stance, and on a debate site I'm treating it as an actual topic and responding as such.

Last edited:
now, now, did i post EVERYONE? of course not.

You're absolutely correct. You just stated he wanted to deny it to citizens. You never mentioned foriegners or illegal immigrants so I guess technically you're right. Silly of him.

but he does want to deny healthcare to citizens

Of course he is.. one of his heros got caught with his pants down, so he has to defend him with what ever means necessary.

Hero? I don't even know who the **** he is. I know this may shock the hell out of you Pete but in general random ass politicians aren't my "hero". I don't know what standards you may hold to dub such a title on people in your country, but generally I know few people here in America who view politicians as "heroes".

As for the OP post... typical right wing hypocrite.

Please Pete, since you seem so thuroughly knowledgable about this situation, might we see a quote of this gentleman speaking against employers subsidizing health care costs or federal employees being denied subsidized health care plans?

If not, then at least be honest and show some integrity and admit you're spewing utter bull**** and slander in attempting to accuse him of hypocrisy when there's clearly none there.

but he does want to deny healthcare to citizens, the very people he is supposed to work FOR.

really? where has he said this? all i have seen (on this thread, at least) is that he wants to stop the disastrous law that is busy making the health insurance system worse for those people.

or just possibly, some people really don't give a **** and just think it's funny. everything isn't life or death, you know.

To be perfectly frank, no it's not possible. What we have here are two unrelated facts. Fact one: A politician campaigned against Obamacare. Fact two: That same politician inquired about his healthcare benefits as an incoming employee of the federal government. Neither one of those facts are even remotely amusing. In order for them to be "funny" you have to make a connection that isn't there. And what group of people are most likely to make an imaginary connection between two unrelated facts in an effort to make a Republican look bad or "funny"? Hmmmmmmmmm, could it be left wing partisan hacks? Nah. They'd never do that. :roll:

It's funny that TPM linked to the Politico article and repeated all the stuff that made him look hypocritical, but didn't repeat the part concerning what his office said -- that he was making a point about the inefficiency of government-run health care.

The guy's a doctor, for crying out loud -- do you think he's really so stupid as to not know what he's doing in that regard? Do you think he's really worried about his health care plan as such?

It's funny that TPM linked to the Politico article and repeated all the stuff that made him look hypocritical, but didn't repeat the part concerning what his office said -- that he was making a point about the inefficiency of government-run health care.

That's one of the dumbest statements (from a political office) that I've ever heard. He's making them look "inefficient" by pointing out that there's a 1 month period where you aren't covered? I've never applied for a job, worked at a job or known anyone that worked at any job that starts your health insurance the second they hire you. My father in law works for AT&T, they make you wait 3 months, my fiance works as a vet tech, she had to wait a little over a month, I had to wait a month at my current job. If he was trying to make a point then he's half a tard and should hire a few extra staffers to spoon feed him regularly and to keep any and all press away from his dumb ass.

That's one of the dumbest statements (from a political office) that I've ever heard. He's making them look "inefficient" by pointing out that there's a 1 month period where you aren't covered? I've never applied for a job, worked at a job or known anyone that worked at any job that starts your health insurance the second they hire you. My father in law works for AT&T, they make you wait 3 months, my fiance works as a vet tech, she had to wait a little over a month, I had to wait a month at my current job. If he was trying to make a point then he's half a tard and should hire a few extra staffers to spoon feed him regularly and to keep any and all press away from his dumb ass.

Even if it's a stupid comparison (which I'm not conceding, because if a company defers coverage it's to make the sure the employee is actually going to stay, and there's no question of that here), it's still not the hypocrisy that TPM, the OP, and other posters imply it is.

Back
Top Bottom