• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freshman congressman who said 'it's time to fight' now condemns riot

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Freshman congressman who said 'it's time to fight' now condemns riot

NC-11-Cawthorn-Headshot.jpg

1/8/21
Newly elected Republican Rep. Madison Cawthorn condemned the violence at the Capitol earlier this week after encouraging his supporters to fight in the run-up to the insurrection. The North Carolina congressman spoke at the rally held Wednesday morning before the Trump supporters marched to Congress and ransacked the building, resulting in the death of one Capitol Police officer and four insurrectionists. “This crowd has some fight in it,” Cawthorn said. “And I am so thankful for each and every one of you.” “January 6th is fast approaching, the future of this Republic hinges on the actions of a solitary few,” Cawthorn tweeted late Monday. “Get ready, the fate of a nation rests on our shoulders, yours and mine. Let’s show Washington that our backbones are made of steel and titanium. It’s time to fight.”

Two days later, Cawthorn said his rhetoric had nothing to do with the violence in Washington. “I don’t feel I had any responsibility for them attacking the Capitol,” Cawthorn told WLOS, a North Carolina ABC affiliate. “It was despicable. They are thugs.”

An insurrectionist when it was convenient to be one. A hypocrite when sedition didn't work out so well. A moral thief and ethical coward.

An insurrectionist when it was convenient to be one. A hypocrite when sedition didn't work out so well. A moral thief and ethical coward.

No doubt one of those Anti's pretending to be a patriot... ;)

Funny how many rabid right politicians talk a 'hero's' game but don't have much sand in 'em.... ✌

No doubt one of those Anti's pretending to be a patriot... ;)

Funny how many rabid right politicians talk a 'hero's' game but don't have much sand in 'em.... ✌
Common, though. Damn near universal.

It's always the "law of the jungle" types who break a finger grabbing the phone to call the cops when actual lions show up at their doors.

Common, though. Damn near universal. It's always the "law of the jungle" types who break a finger grabbing the phone to call the cops when actual lions show up at their doors.

Their 'Don't Tread on Me' flag has a reverse- 'or I Will Cry for Mama'

1776 this ain't, 1861 this ain't, we used to be better.... ✌

Cawthorn told supporters it was ok to lightly threaten members of Congress. He was on CNN yesterday trying to backtrack and he admitted Biden won the election. So all his BS about 'election integrity' helped cause an attempted insurrection and now he admits he was wrong and that Biden did in fact win.

Less than a month before a right-wing mob stormed the Capitol, then Congressman-elect Madison Cawthorn encouraged a pro-Trump group to "lightly threaten" their members of Congress and tell them "everybody is coming after you."

Cawthorn made the speech at a Turning Point USA event in Florida on Dec. 21, calling for the nationalization of elections and promoting the unfounded claim of widespread voter fraud. Now, following the Jan. 6 overrunning of the Capitol, the Henderson County Republican is facing backlash for statements critics say helped spark violent events at the nation's legislative center that led to five deaths.

"So, everybody, I'm telling you, I'm encouraging you, please get on the phone, call your congressman. And feel free, you can lightly threaten them, and say, 'You know what? If you don't start supporting election integrity, I'm coming after you, Madison Cawthorn is coming after you. Everybody's is coming after you," he said to the cheering crowd.

Aw, look at his cute little outfit.

Back
Top Bottom