• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

French police say $53 million worth of jewels stolen in armed heist in Cannes

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://www.dw.de/french-police-say-...ls-stolen-in-armed-heist-in-cannes/a-16980757
Jewels and diamonds worth $53 million have been stolen from a hotel in Cannes, France. The heist was one of the biggest in Europe in recent years.
French police estimate that $53 million (40 million euros) worth of jewels has been taken in an armed theft at the Carlton Intercontinental Hotel in Cannes. A temporary jewelry exhibit was being hosted by the hotel along the French Riviera.

The thief reportedly seized a suitcase containing the Leviev jewellery in broad daylight around noon on Sunday. Israeli billionaire Lev Leviev's jewels were on exhibit for the summer.
The hotel is one of the area's finest, nestled along the seaside Promenade de la Croisette on the French Riviera, and is where film stars stay during the Cannes Film Festival.

Jewelry heists elsewhere
Back in February, a similarly bold theft took place in Antwerp. Jewel thieves took $50 million worth in diamonds on February 18. When they approached the plan, they brandished machine guns and took off with the jewels. Many of the stolen items have since been recovered, and dozens of people have been detained by police in connection with the robbery.

Also in May, thieves got past 80 security guards in an exclusive hotel and managed to steal a De Grisogono necklace worth $2.6 million.

reading this... this is the only thing I could think of:

039_oceans_11_double_sided.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody will get home from their vacation and say, "I don't think this is our suitcase. Stupid freaking airline mixed up our luggage **unzip** Oh, my. We are only going to fly that airline from now on."

I didn't do it! I wasn't even in cannes! I was playing golf and there are several people who would testify to it.

Screwed up security.

Back
Top Bottom