• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

French police responding to 'terrorist attack' in Nice, local mayor says

Killing your neighbor to take his land or stop him from voting against you is one thing, and happens across the world as you pointed out; travelling across the globe to behead a person who showed a cartoon to people you've never met is completely different. And only one group is doing that.

Only Islamic doctrine justifies the killing of unbelievers to establish and expand the rule of the Islamic Caliphate.

Do they say that? I suspect Buddhism doesn't advocate killing anyone.
I don't know. I was not arguing that Buddhists were killing others in the name of Buddah, someone else was. I took their word for it, not being a Buddhist leader myself.

Gosh, have the motives of the attacker been determined yet?

He was shouting "Allah-u-Akbar" before beheading and stabbing the victims.

I don't know. I was not arguing that Buddhists were killing others in the name of Buddah, someone else was. I took their word for it, not being a Buddhist leader myself.

It wasn't the "Buddhist (who claimed he was) performing acts in the name of Buddhism". It was a non Buddhist making the accusation.

It might have been, had your link's text included it. None of that was in there. You can hardly call Anders Breveik a Christian terrorist any more than you can call Harvey Weinstein a feminist, even though he claimed he was one. But I did agree with this statement from your article;
Mark Juergensmeyer, a former president of the American Academy of Religion, has argued that there has been a global rise in religious nationalism after the Cold War due to a post-colonial collapse of confidence in Western models of nationalism and the rise of globalization.
Cold, spiritually dead globalization also brought us Islamic attacks.
You clearly didn't bother to read the link beyond the headline then. Here, again:
So what brought about Christian terrorism?

Islamic Fundamentalist follow a strict, literal interpretation of the Koran and Hadiths. The Lords Resistance Army does not adhere to a strict literal interpretation of the bible and instead create their own doctrine. I wouldn't blame Christianity for the actions of people who do not follow Christian doctrine. I would blame Islam for the actions of those who strictly adhere to Islamic doctrine.
"Lord's Resistance Army is just the name because we are fighting in the name of God" Doesn't the Christian God say something about 'smiting' unbelievers in the same way as Islam does? Do all Muslims want to kill their neighbours because they aren't Muslim? Do all Christians?
My argument is that there are fundamentalist lunatics within any faith-based cult, and Christianity is no different in that respect, and neither is Judaism. Baruch Goldstein?

They do.
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

And that is the first few search results on Google. Muslims in India face continuing violence from Hindu extremists while the Indian government and religious authorities do nothing and in some cases even encourage it. Muslims in Burma and Sri Lanka have faced violence from Buddist extremists.

It was only the 1990s when the Troubles ended in Northern Ireland and many terrorist actions were carried out solely on the basis of religion, you could even say the whole conflict was.
With Northern Ireland it was more a case of turf wars; which criminal gang 'owned' which part of a city. Religion was a part of it, yes, but was more of an adjunct with historical precedent being the driver.

"Lord's Resistance Army is just the name because we are fighting in the name of God" Doesn't the Christian God say something about 'smiting' unbelievers in the same way as Islam does?

No it does not. Christians have the New Testament

No it does not. Christians have the New Testament
And the Old Testament; or doesn't that count as the word of God because of some deeply unpleasant teachings Christians would prefer were not mentioned? Christians are quite happy to cite the OT when it suits-Genesis and creationism, for example.

And the Old Testament; or doesn't that count as the word of God because of some deeply unpleasant teachings Christians would prefer were not mentioned? Christians are quite happy to cite the OT when it suits-Genesis and creationism, for example.

There's a lot of violence in the Bible which apologetics discounts, but the final message is that the Lamb returns from death to strike down nations with his sword!

And the Old Testament; or doesn't that count as the word of God

The word of god directed to a specific people in a specific time and place.

Romans 10
4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.(*)

Romans 7
6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

2 Corinthians 3
13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

Galatians 3 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ[h] that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law

Just as the old testament clearly called for the stoning of adulterers, the new testament says -

Teacher, they said to Jesus, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?(old testament)
6 They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7 They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone! 8 Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.
9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10 Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, Where are your accusers? Didnt even one of them condemn you?
11 No, Lord, she said.
And Jesus said, Neither do I. Go and sin no more......"

"For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ...Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way."

While Christianity has the more intolerant and violent old testament, much of much of which has been abrogated by the more tolerant and less violent New testament. Islam is opposite in that the Koran first included the more tolerant and less violent Meccan verses, much of which has been abrogated by the more violent and intolerant Medinan verses.

What difference does it make? Terrorism is no different, no less horrifying wherever or whoever it affects. The Catholic IRA exported terrorism to the British mainland.
Because terrorism related to regional conflict is vastly different than terrorism exported to peaceful non-combatant countries. How many IRA attacks took place in Japan or Australia or Uganda? Bombing a neighboring country that is occupying yours is one thing. Travelling across the globe to behead people who showed a cartoon is completely different.

Regional terrorism is still awful, but it is the product of resource competition. A person travelling across the planet to behead someone for drawing a cartoon is much, much crazier ideology. And I've not heard of Buddhists or Hindus or Pastafarians doing that in modern times.

"God is great", and Allah, blessings be upon him, is the same Abrahamic deity worshipped by Muslims, Jews and Christians alike.

That is the view of the Muslims and no surprise the one you adopt.

That is the view of the Muslims and no surprise the one you adopt.
WTF are you babbling about now? How many Muslims have you actually met or spoken to? Let me guess, not one. Yet you're quite content to condemn them all for the murderous actions of a tiny minority. Muslims aren't the problem; people with your attitudes are.

Because terrorism related to regional conflict is vastly different than terrorism exported to peaceful non-combatant countries. How many IRA attacks took place in Japan or Australia or Uganda? Bombing a neighboring country that is occupying yours is one thing. Travelling across the globe to behead people who showed a cartoon is completely different.

Regional terrorism is still awful, but it is the product of resource competition. A person travelling across the planet to behead someone for drawing a cartoon is much, much crazier ideology. And I've not heard of Buddhists or Hindus or Pastafarians doing that in modern times.
"...travelling across the globe..."? The Charlie Hebdo shooters, for example, were French citizens, born in France.

"...travelling across the globe..."? The Charlie Hebdo shooters were French citizens, born in France.
Who was talking about them? Didn't they shoot people for drawing cartoons, not behead them for showing them as I wrote?

There's a lot of violence in the Bible which apologetics discounts, but the final message is that the Lamb returns from death to strike down nations with his sword!

Which will be a concern for us on Earth if Jesus were to beam down from Heaven on a beam of light. With Islam it is the believers today with the swords.

But one cannot get around what Jefferson heard when he went with John Adams to wait upon Tripoli’s ambassador to London in March 1785. When they inquired by what right the Barbary states preyed upon American shipping, enslaving both crews and passengers, America’s two foremost envoys were informed that “it was written in the Koran, that all Nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon whoever they could find and to make Slaves of all they could take as prisoners, and that every Mussulman who should be slain in battle was sure to go to Paradise.”
Jefferson Versus the Muslim Pirates by Christopher Hitchens, City Journal Spring 2007

Back
Top Bottom