• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

French parliament approves ban on face veils

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
French parliament approves ban on face veils - Yahoo! Canada News

PARIS - France's lower house of parliament overwhelmingly approved a ban on wearing burqa-style Islamic veils Tuesday, part of a concerted effort to define and protect French values that has disconcerted many in the country's large Muslim community.

Proponents of the law say face-covering veils don't square with the French ideal of women's equality or its secular tradition. The bill is controversial abroad but popular in France, where its relatively few outspoken critics say conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy has resorted to xenophobia to attract far-right voters.

The ban on burqas and niqabs will go in September to the Senate, where it also is likely to pass. Its biggest hurdle will likely come after that, when France's constitutional watchdog scrutinizes it. Some legal scholars say there is a chance it could be deemed unconstitutional.

Not really sure how to feel about this. On one end I really dislike the Burqa and the Niqab because it infringes on Womans right, although having said that I know some muslim woman that are quite happy to wear it and explained to me in great detail why they feel it's appropriate.

On the other hand banning it is against freedom of religion, and the secularist argument is mute, secularism should extend to government, not the individual, however one COULD make the argument that if woman are being forced to wear these two garments against their will, technically you're not protecting freedom of religion, but that's a case by case basis.

I don't like this at all. I think it infringes upon a woman's right to wear the veil if she choses to for cultural/religious reasons. I think it's wrong for men to force women to wear the veil, but I don't think it justifies banning it. I'm sure for some it holds religious value, and other's it is traditional. Many believe it is a sign of modesty. I think France just stepped on the rights of people with this ruling. It infringes upon religious, cultural, and women's rights. If they were to do anything, it would be passing a law that prohibits men from forcing a woman to wear the veil via threatening to divorce them/kill/beat them.

it would be passing a law that prohibits men from forcing a woman to wear the veil via threatening to divorce them/kill/beat them.

Virtually impossible to enforce though :( but I Agree whole heartedly.

Virtually impossible to enforce though :( but I Agree whole heartedly.

Yeah. I don't imagine many of these women reporting their husbands/fathers/any other male authority figure that forces them to wear it. It's truly sad how many women are in that state, and it seems that there is no good solution. However, I feel banning it is a higher form of oppression at the state level.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. The French are just defending their cultural values from aliens.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. The French are just defending their cultural values from aliens.

So I take it you'd support such a ban in the US?

Back
Top Bottom