• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freezing Corn

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've never really frozen fresh veges since the rare occasions that I have, haven't worked out well. LOL (freezer burn, mushy, etc)

The farmer co-op where I get my produce has a bunch of extra corn on the cob they're selling cheap and I was figuring on getting a bag of it and freezing some of it. But I keep reading differing opinions on how to do it (blanching, not blanching) and how well it'll taste when you un-freeze and cook later.

Anyone have personal experience freezing corn cobs and care to share what they did and how it turned out?

We've been doing it 4 decades. What we'd do is wrap 3 to 6 together in plastic wrap very thoroughly, and just put them in there like that. Let them thaw naturally and cook them, tasted good. (not quite as good as straight out o the garden, but nothing is quite that good.}

We've been doing it 4 decades. What we'd do is wrap 3 to 6 together in plastic wrap very thoroughly, and just put them in there like that. Let them thaw naturally and cook them, tasted good. (not quite as good as straight out o the garden, but nothing is quite that good.}

You don't blanch? I just stuck 4 in the freezer last week. I shucked them, put them in a ziplock inside of another ziplock and tossed them in the freezer. Ice crystals formed in the bad, though.

Then I read that maybe I should have blanched them. I've never blanched anything, so I never even considered it. LOL

You don't blanch? I just stuck 4 in the freezer last week. I shucked them, put them in a ziplock inside of another ziplock and tossed them in the freezer. Ice crystals formed in the bad, though.

Then I read that maybe I should have blanched them. I've never blanched anything, so I never even considered it. LOL

yes, blanch. they'll be fine that way. yum.

Hm. I'll ask my mother... maybe there was a step in there that I missed. :mrgreen:

isn't corn meant to come out of the freezer looking the same as it went in, or am i thinking of something else :confused:

Hm. I'll ask my mother... maybe there was a step in there that I missed. :mrgreen:

When I did a search online, I saw people in both camps. Some said to blanch, some said not to bother. That's why I thought I'd ask so I could see if anyone here had done one or the other. LOL

Back
Top Bottom