• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Freedom without democracy

Axismaster

Active member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
296
Reaction score
1
Location
Michigan
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Lately I have been starting to doubt democracy. You see, it leaves room for the people to be dictators, mob rule, where 51% of the people can take away the rights of the other 49%. Hong Kong is the freest country on Earth, but it never had democracy. It has remained a night watchman state because you don't have liberals out there legislating in the name of "social justice" or conservatives in the name of "moral values." I actually think a benevolent dictatorship like this could be a good thing. I am thinking of starting a group advocating that, I of course will be dictator.
 

Comrade Brian

DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
1,239
Reaction score
0
Location
NE, Minnesota
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Benevolence and dictatorship are contradictory. When one gets absolute power, they are anything but benevolent. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Benevolent dictators are great in theory but rare in practice. Then there's that pesky problem of what happens when your dictator dies.
 

Axismaster

Active member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
296
Reaction score
1
Location
Michigan
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
It worked in Hong Kong and Singapore, and those are some f**kin successful countries.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
That's why we are not a democracy and the founding fathers made sure we were not.
 

-Demosthenes-

Internet Revolutionist
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
7
Location
USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
CB said:
Benevolence and dictatorship are contradictory. When one gets absolute power, they are anything but benevolent. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
True for the vast majority of the time.

CB said:
Benevolent dictators are great in theory but rare in practice. Then there's that pesky problem of what happens when your dictator dies.
A vacuum in such power is often violent and usually ends badly.

CB said:
That's why we are not a democracy and the founding fathers made sure we were not.
Constitution protected Republican-Democrasy. "Mob rule" is prevented by constitution as "supreme law," and abuses of power are protected by checks from seperate branches. Mostly.
 
Top Bottom