• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freedom to say your opinion - is it absolute - or may there be restrictions?

Freedom to say your opinion - is it absolute - or may there be restrictions?

• Freedom to say your oponion is absolute

• Freedom to say your oponion ends, where the right of others of protection against insults begins

• Freedom to say your oponion ends, where lying and fake news begin

• there may also be other restrictions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Freedom to say your of opinion - is it absolute - or may there be restrictions?

Btw: For "oponion" read: opinion.

It depends.

If you are a left wing Trump hater, you want anyone who disagrees with you to be thrown in jail.

It depends.

If you are a left wing Trump hater, you want anyone who disagrees with you to be thrown in jail.
If you are Trump, you'd want to be able to have critics, political opponents and people who disagree with you killed.

Freedom from what, government intervention, or simply "consequences?"

Your silly poll is woefully incomplete.

Your freedom ends when it negatively impacts someone else.

It depends.

Well that's a lie. It is in fact the other way around. tRump greatly admired the abilities of other dictators to kill or imprison people who said things they didn't like.

2 out of 3 say:

• Freedom to say your oponion ends, where the right of others of protection against insults begins​

It depends.

That's bullshit, but, hey, you got your MAGA nonsense in at #3 so that's nice work. You've earned a head pat!!

2 out of 3 say:

• Freedom to say your oponion ends, where the right of others of protection against insults begins​

Is that a law or part of your constitution in Germany?

It's not in the US.

2 out of 3 say:

I wasn't aware that anyone had a "right of others of protection against insults".

Which amendment was that?

Your question doesn't make any sense. First of all, there are well known exceptions to "free speech" with regards to government. If you want to know what those are, you can do a search and find out. For example, if my "opinion" is you are a baby raping murderer, and I assert it as a fact in public, written or orally, you can sue me. There is no 1A protection against defamatory statements.

Outside of government, there are often consequences, and bad ones, for expressing some opinions. E.g. if you're in someone's kitchen, and call the owner a c-word, you will likely be thrown out on your ass, which is fine. If you work for a company and start insulting the boss, or publicly running down the company or its products or services, you might just be fired, which is also fine. If you are a raging racist outside of work, that might also get you fired, because no sane employer wants someone that dumb on their payroll. If someone on DP violates the rules, they can and are ban hammered, which is also fine. Etc.........

Free speech is not absolute according to the Constitution. I think it is one of the most misunderstood/twisted beliefs by some on the right. Ask your employer if you have the right to use racial slurs against a fellow employee or tell your Boss to FO.

I have noticed a very unsettling trend by many right-wing posters here. If you criticize something someone says publicly you are jumped on for being against free speech. Seems the new rule about the 1st is that people are allowed to say whatever they want and if you critize the content of their statement you are against free speech.....that is total and absolute BS.

If you are Trump, you'd want to be able to have critics, political opponents and people who disagree with you killed.

Unsupported bullshit from someone trying to sell a book.

(See my Woodward comment below.)

From your link:

"Reinoehl had his hand on a partially withdrawn gun that was in his pocket when officers shot him during an attempted arrest in Washington state, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office said on Wednesday."​

I agree with Trump that the Marshall's did a good job.

btw, having a difference of opinion goes out the window when someone acts on that opinion and commits murder.

"according to—what else?— Bob Woodward’s new book."​

Fake news.

(But Woodward doesn't deserve to be put in jail...he should just be ashamed of himself.)

You got anymore nonsense for me to slap down?

2 out of 3 say:

My right to my opinions does not end where your hurt feelings begin.

Last edited:
Oh, I see, so every MAGA speaks for all MAGAs as well? Do you really want to go down that road? It won't be pleasant for you, and it's kind of stupid, for you to be responsible for what everyone in MAGA land says. There are a lot of idiots spewing really dumb shit in that group. But, hey, if that's the standard, I'll go with it, just for you.

And what someone (a person) said was "investigate." Boo ****ing hoo. IMO it's a dumb opinion, but that's a long way from "arrested" and that one person doesn't speak for anyone but that one person.

It depends.

No, we just want them to read real news and better informed. Not too much to ask.

BTW. Right wing Trump haters want the same thing.

To answer the question of the OP. I love informed dissent, but most of what you read on this board are people parrotting stuff that they read on fact free political conspiracy sites and then trying to sell it here as having truth behind it. They are too lazy to actually research the issue for themselves, choosing to believe in this alternative reality. Those that believe the 2020 election was not on the up and up are Exhibit A of that statement. Unfortunately, ignorance is their right, as it is my right to call them out on their intellectual laziness and ignorance.

The only "restriction" on free speech should be on those who use their right of free speech to intimidate or trample on the free speech of others. If free expression of ideas is the intent, that is righteous. If using it, like a troll, simply to aggravate others, that is abusive, an abuse of the right and sinful.

Last edited:
Oh, I see, so every MAGA speaks for all MAGAs as well? Do you really want to go down that road? It won't be pleasant for you, and it's kind of stupid, for you to be responsible for what everyone in MAGA land says. There are a lot of idiots spewing really dumb shit in that group. But, hey, if that's the standard, I'll go with it, just for you.

And what someone (a person) said was "investigate." Boo ****ing hoo. IMO it's a dumb opinion, but that's a long way from "arrested."
That was just one example. Do you want more?

No, we just want them to read real news and better informed. Not too much to ask.

BTW. Right wing Trump haters want the same thing.
LOL!!

Right.

"REAL News"

Translation - what "we" agree on. What you think is wrong, dangerous and you need to be thrown in jail for even thinking it...let alone saying it.

That was just one example. Do you want more?
I don't really care what you do. Here's the relevant part that you're ignoring:

You shouldn't be able to incite imminent violence, or conspire to commit crimes. But aside from that, it should be absolute.
  • Freedom to say your oponion ends, where the right of others of protection against insults begins
  • Freedom to say your oponion ends, where lying and fake news begin
These are not legitimate limitations on freedom of speech, because crybullies will inevitably label any views they dislike as "insults" or "fake news."

It depends.

Another post of pathetic lying bullshit

One important little detail:

The question is not about HAVING an opinion, but about SAYING it in public.

Free speech, as that found in the Constitution, doesn't mean what many seem to think it does in several different situations.

I have some situations where people are so wrong in their view of free speech, whether they are wanting it restricted or claiming they have been restricted for their speech.

First, let's look at an incident on an airline:

You don't have a right to wear a shirt on a plane belonging to a private airline that says "****" anyone (in fact, it could simply be that it shows more cleavage than they are comfortable with). The same as you don't have right to say anything you want to say on this site, as it is a private site. That being said, you and others can protest these decisions made by private companies within legal limits (boycott, tell why you think they are wrong, etc.).

Next, the claims that someone flipping you off on the highway/freeway is a reason to call 911. No, it isn't. It is their free speech right to counter your protest.

You also have no right to say whatever you want on any online platform, unless it is run by the government itself, and then that would be a stupid thing to do, since managing it, trying to keep it from becoming a trash site would be pretty futile.

Back
Top Bottom