• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freedom of speech 'no longer exists' in Australia and the UK: Katie Hopkins

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It is not merely here in America this comes up (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter daily censors) but in England and Australia protests are out that Freespeech has ended.

We hope some here from both England and Australia will grace us with their comments.

Do you deserve free speech?
Is it a right?
England and Australia has banned guns for personal use. How long before they fight back?

Perhaps you could help us by not subjecting us to all 17 minutes and telling us how Katie's free speech has been removed?

Nope, do your own homework.

Do you find it kind of ironic to post a 17 minute video of Katie whining about her loss of free speech.... I mean, think about it.... She is literally being interviewed for 17 minutes and yet she has lost her "free speech"..... Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

It is not merely here in America this comes up (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter daily censors) but in England and Australia protests are out that Freespeech has ended.

We hope some here from both England and Australia will grace us with their comments.

Is it a right?
England and Australia has banned guns for personal use. How long before they fight back?

People in Australia and England don’t have the same obsession with guns as the US. So I rather doubt they’ll be “fighting back” for firearms.

People in Australia and England don’t have the same obsession with guns as the US. So I rather doubt they’ll be “fighting back” for firearms.

Even the slaves got tamed is now I see that remark.

Not watching 17 minutes of something the OP didn't even watch.

It is not merely here in America
Since you clearly didn't learn anything in Civics class let me help you one more time...

Freedom of speech does not mean you have the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, without consequences. It means you have a right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, without consequences FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

The rest of us private citizen's are more than welcome to call you an idiot if you say something stupid. We're more than welcome to deny you a job, refuse to spend money at your business and cut you off from the rest of the world. That's our right to
freedom of speech and freedom of association. If we don't like what you have to say we can use our freedom of speech to tell you to **** yourself. If we don't like the bullshit coming out of your mouth we can tell you to eat a dick and walk away.
We don't have to put you on TV or let you print your stupid racist crap in our newspapers.

Maybe try a little harder to learn what freedom of speech is before you waste any more of our time crying about how you've lost it.

Since you clearly didn't learn anything in Civics class let me help you one more time...

Freedom of speech does not mean you have the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, without consequences. It means you have a right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, without consequences FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

The rest of us private citizen's are more than welcome to call you an idiot if you say something stupid. We're more than welcome to deny you a job, refuse to spend money at your business and cut you off from the rest of the world. That's our right to
freedom of speech and freedom of association. If we don't like what you have to say we can use our freedom of speech to tell you to **** yourself. If we don't like the bullshit coming out of your mouth we can tell you to eat a dick and walk away.
We don't have to put you on TV or let you print your stupid racist crap in our newspapers.

Maybe try a little harder to learn what freedom of speech is before you waste any more of our time crying about how you've lost it.
That's a tad harsh.

Here's the thing, Robert: How do citizens with guns fight back against supposed free speech abuses from government? How does having guns fight back against any political issue, even gun control? When have citizens with guns fought back since the Constitution was ratified? What fighting back are you doing by owning guns? Do you think policy is affected by some citizens having guns? What differences are citizen guns making?

I say that the 2A is the political pacifier of gunners because as long as they have guns they're not too worried.

Last edited:
That's a tad harsh.
No, not really. It's pretty deadly accurate.

Remember how Gay people used to spend most of their lives in "the closet." They still do to a certain extent, but it's gotten better. That was because they were afraid of how people would judge them. For decades being gay was considered a form of perversion. Parents would never speak to their own children if they came out as gay.

This treatment of gay people was cruel and disturbing, but it was perfectly legal. Those bigots were expressing their freedom of speech and freedom of expression and the government could do anything to stop them. The only thing that is changing is that now more and more the decent people out number the bigots.
We're free to treat them like shit just like they have historically treated everyone else. They're only bothered by it because they're in the minority now.

The big difference of course is that bigots actually are bad people and they are capable of changing and learning from their mistakes. But until they do we are free to treat them like shit. They absolutely deserve it.

No, not really. It's pretty deadly accurate.

Remember how Gay people used to spend most of their lives in "the closet." They still do to a certain extent, but it's gotten better. That was because they were afraid of how people would judge them. For decades being gay was considered a form of perversion. Parents would never speak to their own children if they came out as gay.

This treatment of gay people was cruel and disturbing, but it was perfectly legal. Those bigots were expressing their freedom of speech and freedom of expression and the government could do anything to stop them. The only thing that is changing is that now more and more the decent people out number the bigots.
We're free to treat them like shit just like they have historically treated everyone else. They're only bothered by it because they're in the minority now.

The big difference of course is that bigots actually are bad people and they are capable of changing and learning from their mistakes. But until they do we are free to treat them like shit. They absolutely deserve it.
I don't care for most adages because they're usually oversimplified, but "Two wrongs don't make a right" applies.

Adding hate, resentment, etc to the world isn't helping. I don't see Robert as attempting to harm anyone with his comments. This is a political discussion forum; you don't know Robert, but you see his commentary. Maybe he'll learn from exposure to other ideas. Maybe we're all learning. Most people don't change their views quickly, if at all. I doubt people are open to learning when people are abrasive. It just continues the cycle.

"Attack the comment, not the commenter."

All humans and all beings deserve well-being.

Here's the thing, Robert: How do citizens with guns fight back against supposed free speech abuses from government?

Guns are a last resort, when even people like you have had enough.

Guns are a last resort, when even people like you have had enough.
They say war is a last resort, too.

I think you're fighting the wrong battles. I think you're starting to see where I'm coming from.

I don't care for most adages because they're usually oversimplified, but "Two wrongs don't make a right" applies.
This has nothing to do with two wrongs. If you want someone to change their ways they must see that their current choices are hurting them and unsustainable. For alcoholics or drug addicts they generally have to hit rock bottom before they will accept that they have a problem.
That is what we're dealing with here. Trump supporters, racists, bigots... these people have mental problems. Shutting them up and making it clear their ideas will not be tolerated makes it harder for them to organize and find other like minded shit heads like themselves.
It makes it clear to future generations that their beliefs are unacceptable and disgusting.

Adding hate, resentment, etc to the world isn't helping. I don't see Robert as attempting to harm anyone with his comments. This is a political discussion forum; you don't know Robert, but you see his commentary. Maybe he'll learn from exposure to other ideas. Maybe we're all learning. Most people don't change their views quickly, if at all. I doubt people are open to learning when people are abrasive. It just continues the cycle.
I disagree to a certain extent. There is a concept in psychology called projection. It is where you assume others think the way you do. You may be more persuaded by someone who is kinder and reject someone who is abrasive. That is who you are and as a result you assume everyone else thinks the same.
But the thing that Trump supporters like about him is that he's "honest", he, "tells like it is". They like him because in their minds he has no filter. He tells you exactly what is on his mind whether it's mean or offensive or not. They belief that political correctness is a bad thing that's hurting society.
So even though nothing Trump says is true or even remotely rational the fact that he doesn't care makes them trust what he is saying more. In their minds assholes are inherently more honest. They'd have to be because if they weren't nobody would put up with them.

I call this the Sherlock Holmes effect. All throughout human literature you find characters like Holmes. Holmes was a pompous asshole. He was an arrogant jerk in many ways, but he got away with it because he was Brilliant! We see it in characters like Dr House and Tony Stark too. Assholes, jerks, but they get away with it because they're brilliant and if you want a problem solved you need them.
I submit to you that when people don't know what's true the gravitate towards a jerk because it demonstrates a level of confidence. While I might not change the mind of the person I'm being a jerk too, there are those on the sideline who find it hilarious and are more likely to assume I know what I'm talking about because of the confidence and the condescension I display.

What about Nazis? Should we be nice them too? After all they just have a different political opinion right?

They say war is a last resort, too.

Depends who's paying for the war and whose lives are at risk. If you are a politician spending other people's money and sending other people's kids to fight, and getting big campaign contributions from defense contractors, then going to war probably benefits you.

What about Nazis? Should we be nice them too? After all they just have a different political opinion right?
It depends on what you mean by Nazis and being nice. Most actual Nazis are dead and gone.

One thing 'well-being for all' means is that you treat even heinous murderers well, but that doesn't mean they're not stopped and imprisoned. You understand that people are fragile and most violent people had significant trauma in their lives.

Is it a right?

It's odd you have what is apparently a show in Australia hosting some woman with inflammatory ideas, who appears to be speaking from England, talking about controversial things such as 'free speech' no longer exists, as they appear to exercise...free speech.

I am not going to listen to 17 minutes of drivel to get to their point, but if you want to summarize that would be nice.

I did find it funny that you mention Twitter censors, but this lady who's claiming, I guess, that free speech no longer exists has apparently millions of followers on...Twitter! According to the host... So she's censored so badly on Twitter she's got over a million followers. SHE IS BEING OPPRESSED!!!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

What it appears like is more of a bunch of self entitled morons whining that their speech is condemned, and criticized, and people say mean things about them, and some people don't want them around and say so. Well, boo hoo.

"Attack the comment, not the commenter."

Still one of the best explainers of free speech: https://xkcd.com/1357/

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 12.25.12 AM.png

Trump supporters, xxxxxxxxxx ... these people have mental problems.
You don't have family, friends, and acquaintances that are Trump supporters?

Back
Top Bottom