• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freedom of Speech, Does it need Rethinking?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
BLM shouts "Death to Cops!" Shortly afterwards, cops get assassinated.

Right Wing Radio and TV blasts 24 hour propaganda pushing one party, the GOP, while vilifying the other.

Trump wants to redo libel laws, perhaps because he is sick of being compared to an orangutan.

You know the drill. Everyone has a bitch about something someone said. But, is there a limit to what people say? Is there a such thing as hate speech, especially the kind that needs to be curbed like they do in places like Germany?

Just asking.

There's always some form of limit, it's typically the rights of others. But is there a need to rethink red speech? No, it should be protected to its utmost logical end.

Right Wing Radio and TV blasts 24 hour propaganda pushing one party, the GOP, while vilifying the other.

Trump wants to redo libel laws, perhaps because he is sick of being compared to an orangutan.

You know the drill. Everyone has a bitch about something someone said. But, is there a limit to what people say? Is there a such thing as hate speech, especially the kind that needs to be curbed like they do in places like Germany?

Just asking.

Where did BLM say, "death to cops"? Just askin'....

Just asking.

The only reason anyone wants to censor speech is because they're afraid what's being said will catch on.

Just asking.

The death to cops thing is really pushing it. as far as radio, you know there is left wing radio too. sure it usually fails but there is some.
Still I wouldn't change much regarding free speech.

Just asking.

Nah. Freedom of Speech doesn't need rethinking.

Just asking.

No. We need to simply hold people responsible for their actions that cause harm to others. We already have the laws, we just need the balls ... to enforce them.

Freedom of speech does not need to be rethought. The First Amendment is pretty specific.

Political Correctness needs to be thrown out the window. People need to develop some tough skin. The idea of "micro aggressions" or however they put it on today's colleges is total bull****.

Just asking.

For me, the only rethinking is to consider the laws we have now that are unconstitutional. Five rights acknowledged, not granted, in one exquisite sentence. The left hates the first amendment. Protection of religion, the press, and free speech is something they can't tolerate.

Follow the Constitution and eliminate laws restricting free speech.

And Snopes thoroughly debunked that video.

Of course, since Snopes is a fact-checking site, they're automatically a left-wing shill, for we all know that reality has a liberal bias and that facts can only be considered factual if they support the conservative fantasy world.

It is the other way around. You think an tolerant culture can exist with an intolerant culture. That disqualifies your observation.

The only reason anyone wants to censor speech is because they're afraid what's being said will catch on.

Not true. The liberals want to censor speech that might hurt their chances of taking another election. The liberals who want to prosecute global warming skeptics are concerned about losing their grants to increase the hysteria. The racist want to make dog whistles and code words illegal. Wolf whistles are already illegal. And some want anything that is said that offends them to be illegal.

We need to adhere to the Constitution. Free speech was recognized in the Constitution and not granted by a liberal government.

And Snopes thoroughly debunked that video.

Of course, since Snopes is a fact-checking site, they're automatically a left-wing shill, for we all know that reality has a liberal bias and that facts can only be considered factual if they support the conservative fantasy world.

Okay... where to start... Snopes didn't say it didn't happen, they debunked a claim that this occurred and then three days later three cops in Baton Rouge were killed. The video was taken and posted to YouTube in 2014. If you would have taken time to look at the actual source of the video I posted you would have seen it was the one that Snopes said was the REAL VIDEO.

So, no... you blew this one.

From your own linked Snopes story:

The original video of New York protesters referenced at the beginning of this article was uploaded on 13 December 2014 by Manhattan resident Tom Dilello, who maintained that he shot and uploaded the clip in the span of six minutes, leaving no time for him to edit the raw footage of the "dead cops" chant.

Dude, look at the guys name that's on the YouTube account of the video I gave you - hint, its Tom Dilello.

jesus_facepalm.jpg

It is the other way around. You think an tolerant culture can exist with an intolerant culture. That disqualifies your observation.

That disqualifies my observation that Snopes debunked an edited video????

Dude. Really?

And apparently you've forgotten what part of America is and has been the most intolerant region since before the Civil War. Ah, but I forgot! White racists are actually very tolerant people, and the blacks are just making up their claims of racism!

Good grief.

Freedom of speech does not need to be rethought. The First Amendment is pretty specific.

Political Correctness needs to be thrown out the window. People need to develop some tough skin. The idea of "micro aggressions" or however they put it on today's colleges is total bull****.

I'm triggered by your words. I need a safe space.

Not true. The liberals want to censor speech that might hurt their chances of taking another election. The liberals who want to prosecute global warming skeptics are concerned about losing their grants to increase the hysteria. The racist want to make dog whistles and code words illegal. Wolf whistles are already illegal. And some want anything that is said that offends them to be illegal.

In all of those cases, it's because they don't want what's being said to catch on.

Nah. Freedom of Speech doesn't need rethinking.

Maybe I should rethink my wording. At what point does speech itself cross the line?

Rap songs calling for rape and death to cops, or both rape and death to Trump? I'm being facetious, of course, but you get my meaning. I imagine.

Is it OK for someone to get on a podium and suggest lynching Blacks? How about a preacher or cleric saying his followers need to kill gays?

Can we egg on a friend to beat someone up or rape a drunken woman? How about incite a group of ruffians to start a riot at a game?

Surely there is a line.

Okay... where to start... Snopes didn't say it didn't happen, they debunked a claim that this occurred and then three days later three cops in Baton Rouge were killed. The video was taken and posted to YouTube in 2014. If you would have taken time to look at the actual source of the video I posted you would have seen it was the one that Snopes said was the REAL VIDEO.

So, no... you blew this one.

From your own linked Snopes story:

Dude, look at the guys name that's on the YouTube account of the video I gave you - hint, its Tom Dilello.

jesus_facepalm.jpg

You only read as far as you wanted to read, huh? If you'd read to the conclusion, you'd have seen the following:

The clip in question involving chants about "dead cops" was shot in New York City in December 2014, but contemporaneous reporting widely and incorrectly identified its source as Black Lives Matter and Millions March demonstrations taking place in different parts of the city at different times. After shootings claimed the lives of police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge in July 2016, the clip resurfaced and was often mislabeled as occurring in one of those locations.

It wasn't BLM, it wasn't "Million Man March" - it was a bunch of pissed-off people in an apparently spontaneous protest that was unaffiliated with any known group. But of course y'all can't stop yourselves from blaming BLM.

NYC. But, of course, they are denying it was them.

The Monsters Who Screamed for Dead Cops - The Daily Beast

And if you'd read the investigation by Snopes to its conclusion, you'd have seen that it was proved - proved! - that it was not part of BLM nor the "Million Man March", and there is no indication it was affiliated with either one. But I get it - y'all just gotta blame the blacks, 'cause there's no such thing as racism, and the blacks are making it all up.

BTW, here's Snopes' conclusion:

The clip in question involving chants about "dead cops" was shot in New York City in December 2014, but contemporaneous reporting widely and incorrectly identified its source as Black Lives Matter and Millions March demonstrations taking place in different parts of the city at different times. After shootings claimed the lives of police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge in July 2016, the clip resurfaced and was often mislabeled as occurring in one of those locations.

There are already laws against libel, slander, and direct threats. What exactly needs to be changed?

You only read as far as you wanted to read, huh? If you'd read to the conclusion, you'd have seen the following:

It wasn't BLM, it wasn't "Million Man March" - it was a bunch of pissed-off people in an apparently spontaneous protest that was unaffiliated with any known group. But of course y'all can't stop yourselves from blaming BLM.

Sure. Whatever you say. I read that part. That part was conjecture on their part. By the way, what exactly do you think BLM is, if not a bunch of pissed off people protesting? I hear that BLM is not an organized group, that it's just a bunch of unaffiliated people that come together spontaneously when needed to protest blacks being shot by police.

But, sure. It wasn't BLM. It was just a bunch of unaffiliated people that came together spontaneously for protesting about blacks being shot by police. Nope, not BLM at all.

You may want to re-read the quote from the Snopes article that you posted. I don't think it says what you think it says.

Back
Top Bottom